Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Rediscovering your guitar

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by lukido86, Mar 12, 2018.

1. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2016
    France
    Hello!

I have just put 3 gold lace sensors (used, a killer deal) in my 87-88 graffiti yellow standard.
    And now ! It looks and sounds fabulous.
    It also has now strap lock buttons, a handmade bone nut, a mat white pickguard (a bit aged) and has been refretted last year.
    It has a thin C neck profile, a killer player trust me.
    I've been gasing for a strat plus for a while, and I had planned to sell the standard for cash balance.
    But now I just can't do that.

Did you rediscover one of your guitars ? For what reason ?

IMG_20180312_131758790.jpg

davidrf, Kstu, 79 Strat and 11 others like this.
  2. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2016
    France
    The body and the neck are similar to the strat plus.
    Now the remaining differences would be the locking tuners, the roller nut and the TBX.
    But this one stays in tune perfectly.

3. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2016
    France
    Funny thing about the setup of laces.

The lace website currently says:

ADJUSTMENT TIP: For optimum tone and output from our Guitar Sensors, we recommend adjusting the height to .170" from string to pickup, or approx. the height of 2 dimes and a nickel. (REMEMBER string thickness applies to height - use bottom of string closest to pickup for measurement.)

And in the strat plus manual (PDF available on Fender's website):

Depress all strings at the highest fret. Check the distance from the bottom of the 1st and 6th strings to the top of the Sensor. The measurements should be as follows:
    1st string: 1/16" (1.6mm)
    6th string: 3/32" (2.4mm)
    [...]
    The recommended string clearance is measured between the pickup at the 1st and 6th strings when fretted at the last fret on the fingerboard.

I currently have the 2nd method applied, and this is a bit high. And guess what, it does not correspond to .170".

4. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Great looking Strat. Love that graf yellow. I've recently rediscovered a '57RI I've had for a long time. Put some Angeltone 5S7 pickups in it, gave it a good setup and it really came to life. I fear it might start getting more playing time than my #1.

I love falling back in love with old guitars. It costs a hell of a lot less than buying ANOTHER Strat!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    79 Strat and brians like this.
  5. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Nice work, looks Yummy!!

Oh yeah!... a while ago someone mentioned playing Jazz which pulled me away from my Strat. Then... my wife got me spending 3 grand on material to build shelves. That annihilated all hopes I had nurtured in my foolish mind to acquire a new axe.
    Having spent a whole week choking on MDF dust building those F@#£!nG shelves, I spent another one watching those cracked up sausages I had left slowly turning back into Fingers.
    Back in moody Blues mode, and you could say I rediscovered my Strat.

brians likes this.
  6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I find myself rotating through my guitars. When I got my PRS CE24, that was virtually all I played for a year. It became my gigging guitar and I recorded with it too. When I joined my new band, I found my hand starting to hurt from a lot of time playing to learn the setlist. I decided to try on my LPs which has a thicker neck profile to see if that gave me some relief. It did...and I rediscovered just how awesome the tone is from my LP.

Same happens with my strat and my tele when I pick them up after not having played them for a while.

Mansonienne likes this.
  7. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I like that man!

8. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    rehab approves of this guitar!

Mansonienne likes this.
  9. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My partscaster builds are usually a work in progress. Never really done, since I'm always looking for an area for improvement. Always striving for perfection- which seems to be a moving target (just over the horizon).

10. haggardphunk

haggardphunk Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Colorado
    I go through phases. Sometimes it's as much as playing a guitar with and without the coil tap.

I have been loving my Phred dockstar with the coil taps engaged. It doesn't get close to the Strat or Tele tone but sometimes the different tone inspires my playing.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    An 87/88 American Standard should have a TBX.

12. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    After a while of having a bad setup, I rediscovered my Strat when I finally got it set up properly. :p

As for my Tele, I rediscovered it once I changed the strings from 10s to 9.5s. The 10s where a little too much for me at the time and would hurt my hand, so the 9.5s helped a lot.

13. Borgatomic

Borgatomic Strat-Talker

Sep 30, 2017
    There it is goes again, every time I see a really nice yellow guitar I'll have Yellow Submarine in my head all day.

I would go ahead and finish the job with the roller nut and locking tuners.

"We all live in a yellow submarine a yellow submarine a yellow submarine ... "

There now you have it in your head.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I went for a few months without playing this guitar, and then plugged it in one day and realized it sounds really freakin' good. :D

fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg

15. 2-Finger

2-Finger Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    What a beautiful guitar!!

Ebidis likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I go through this process of discovery every few months. I tend to play a particular guitar, then as I start to master what I was working on and start on something new I grab another that’s suited to the next thing I’m working on. My Roadhouse Strat just came back out last week and has pushed back into the #1 slot again. I knew it’d happen eventually...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  17. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    coastal Maine
    This past weekend I was listening to AC/DC and pulled out my SG and started rocking out. Can't remember the last time I played it, but now I can't put it down. ENJOY!!!

18. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I picked up my Ovation over the weekend. Haven't played it much at all since the summer. I had put Silk and Steel Strings on it and lowered the action and then it just sat in the case. It was really refreshing to play. I need to rediscover my strat too. I've been 335-ing it for a solid 2 months now.

19. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    what are silk and steel strings. seriously, ive never heard of them.

20. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    they're wound with silk inside to give it a softer feel. I've been having issues with arthritis due to Lyme disease so gave them a try and while i had the strings off, i lowered the saddle a hair. Its like a whole new guitar. So much easier to play.

I like the tone from them a lot too but not sure how much the "silk" has to do with that.

these are what's on there now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...e-silk-and-steel-soft-acoustic-guitar-strings