Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Reduce treble?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by PelleH, Dec 30, 2017.

1. PelleH

PelleH New Member!

Dec 30, 2017
    Stockholm
    My Kinman Woodstock+ PUs are great but generally just too shrill/top edgy compared to all my other guitars (Teles, old Strats, LPs, etc). When I switch from my other Strat, Teles, I need to dial down the amps treble, goes for all PUs at all volumes. The PUs are internally well balanced and obviously this is not a treble bleed issue, and I have lowered PU heights, etc, etc, but still...

Now I just want to generally soften the treble frequencies a bit on this guitar, not having to re-dial the amp too much after switching guitar.

-Can I add a capacitor or resistor preferably to the output jack (series or parallel) as a 'permanent' type of low pass filter? How? Suggested value ranges?

Thx

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    What value pots are you using on this guitar? 250K ohms, 500K ohms, or .........?
    Let Us know?
    Gene

metale likes this.

3. PelleH

PelleH New Member!

Dec 30, 2017
    Stockholm

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Why not just roll off the tone knob?

jstewart, orcslayer and StratSounds like this.

5. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    I am just speculating, but I bet a capacitor wired in to your jack output would work. The capacitor size needs to be very small. For example, rather than the familiar .47uf it would be .0047 or even .0022 or less. Google "Eldred Mod." It is the same basic concept. I did this mod to my wannabe Esquire and it sounds really cool. It does change the overall though in a good way. If you try it, use some alligator clips so you can test different values. Or... See if you can try a 100k volume pot maybe?

6. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2013
    Toluca Lake
    This is the answer. Not sure why people are adverse to actually using volume and tone knobs on their guitar. It is baffling.

7. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    No argument here, but if OP is not pleased with the tone knobs wide open, what's wrong with trying to get the tone he wants so that he can use the full range of the tone control? If his middle and neck pickup sound shrill, something is not quite right. It would bug me if I couldn't open my tone all the way. Although... Maybe it's a question of EQ on the amp in his case. FWIW I like to roll my vol and tone off a bit when I EQ my amp so I have room either way if I want a boost or darken things up a bit.