Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Relic’d Amps?!?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Nate D, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I know there are tons of varying opinions about relicing a guitar, but I happen to like them and be ok with them. Then I happened to stumble across this listing on Reverb. I was curious as $10k for a Deluxe Reverb is a lot even if it had been celebrity owned.

Then I saw what it was; a Fender Custom Shop 64 Deluxe Reverb amp that had been reliced to look like an original amp. Look, I think this is getting a little ridiculous. No way am I paying that for a Deluxe Reverb when I could buy 4 real 1965 Deluxe Reverbs for that price...

https://reverb.com/item/6235965-fen...t-by-shawn-green-jim-dolmage-2017-black-relic

rolandson likes this.

2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    it looks like someone relieved themselves on that poor amp

rolandson and Nate D like this.

3. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I know right?!?

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Market value on that amp is <$2000.

rolandson and Nate D like this.

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    That’s ridiculous

Nate D and rolandson like this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm gonna trade my truck in this weekend for a new Tacoma. As soon as I get it off the lot, I'm gonna run into a bollard to dent the bumper nice and good, then drive through some sagebrush to get all those nice fine scratches in the paint, then brush some brake fluid onto the roof to start the clear coat peeling.
    I'm sure I could get $10K over Bluebook when I flipped it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

7. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I understand guitars. They are a bit more of an intimate item. The connection with player and instrument is everything. Aesthetics - including relic job - affects that relationship. A work neck, body, etc - it chances something.

But amps basically sit there and make noise. The relationship is totally different. I think that's why this whole idea of relic amps feel odd to me.

8. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    They're kidding...right? This is a joke?
    At that price one could purchase 5 of the real things and have money left over for lunch in a nice restaurant.

I think somebody's ego sort of got the jump on their grasp upon reality.

Nate D likes this.

9. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Or, they are shrewdly "hunting whales". i.e. someone who equates mega price with exclusivity/worth. Not many out there but the seller only needs one.

Nate D likes this.

10. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

Not. A. Chance.

Nate D and henderman like this.

11. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Well I think that the "run" being curtailed after only three pretty much describes what the home office thought of the idea.

I wonder if these two clowns are still employed?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Nate D likes this.

12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    They have done this in the past with a Blues Jr made from whisky barrel wood.

Worth more and cool, sure, no problem, but those also had an outrageous price.

Nate D and johnnymg like this.

13. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    I'm curious what the 3 offers were

Nate D likes this.

14. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

old car relic guitar meme.jpg Marketing hype. Master built, might have something to do with guitars when fitting the parts to the wood takes more attention and skill to make a truly superior product.

But an amp is less about hand building. Even point to point hand wiring, could be done by high school electrical shop students.

Electricity isn't going to know the difference between an amp hand wired by a "master builder" and one hand wired correctly by someone else.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Relics are like fake breasts. They might look good but sure don't feel the same.

And Lumberg, you should probably flip it before you try and sell it. ;)

simoncroft, Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    PRS-playing dentists in their midlife crisis?

TomH8, Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.

16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    What any one wants to do with their money is fine by me. But, the price seems silly, when you can buy an original for less.

I regards to @jaybones post above...I know guys who wet themselves over rusted out shells of cars that make that one look showroom fresh. Me...I'd love a repro body and build from there. The guitar? I wouldn't want it, I don't like maple fretboards...but, if it was "the" guitar that called my name...I might buy it. but probably not. ;)

Nate D, chris64 and rolandson like this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's a fantastic idea. $15,000 over blue book!

Nate D likes this.

18. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    A relic should not be priced higher than the vintage item it is trying to look like.

I dont mind a relic'd amp - but it should be less than a vintage one. Otherwise its like paying more money for a copy of a Picaso than the real thing would have costed.

And honestly, while I like how a worn guitar looks (when done "right"), I don't have much financial appreciation for a worn looking amp. Ok, maybe laquer a new tweed amp to make it look like a 50's model, and toss on a coffee cup stain for good measure - but I'm not appreciating those cosmetic changes with my wallet.

Nate D likes this.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Woah woah woah dude, don't go making sense now. This is a relic thread.

20. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    I'll contribute to this tread in this relic'd typeface.

It's like reading a book in the 1950s. Looks that way doesn't it. If you read it out loud it might sound more authentic.

Nate D likes this.