Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Removing serial # and MIM on Road Worn Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GuyWithGuitars, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GuyWithGuitars

GuyWithGuitars New Member!

I did make a 'vintage' sticker from a non-descript music store. I had my Weller soldering pencil out, so I fired up Pages and made a sticker that says "Weller Music Co Inc - Brooklyn NY CL5-2120" and made it look OLD. That's working fine, but still underneath is that blasted Made in Mexico. It's an obsession.

2. pchilson

pchilson Strat-O-Master

If it bothers you then I would suggest "relicing" it off. It is a Road Worn after all so make it look like part of the "Road Worn".

3. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

It's a Road Worn, blast it off with a grinder and be done with it!

^^^Seriously though this is the right answer, take the finish off of the entire flat part of the back of the headstock. Then when you refinish try to match it up one coat at a time as close as possible.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. oldwolf

oldwolf Strat-O-Master

You are supposed to be checking out the chicks, not the back of your guitar headstock.
    Gene Warner
    repairman

6. OldtimeR&R

OldtimeR&R Strat-O-Master

Remember it's your guitar & you do with it whatever you want. Go to Guitar Reranch, order a can of neck amber & a can of clear coat. Then do what everbody else suggested & use some 800 or so grit sandpaper & remove the finish off the entire back. Spray thin coats of the amber til it matches then clear coat it....

7. Hugh

Hugh Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

why not just get a REAL strat ?

:p

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just cut the headstock off, that should solve the problem of that pesky serial number.

9. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

A Road Worn will probably never have any kind of collectible value, and since they come from the factory already trashed and needing a refinish, I don't think that grinding off the serial number will hurt anything EXCEPT that it may make it difficult to sell at all in the future, because people may not be sure it isn't stolen or a fake.

10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

First, document high quality photos of the it (include different angles, and closeup of serial number details, guitar body relic areas, etc.). Then, save the photos in Ft. Knox. This will help you with a potential sale in the future when a prospective buyer starts scratching their head at the lack of a serial number. :mrgreen: It might help you sell it someone like me!

11. midwestfisherma

midwestfisherma Strat-O-Master

Don't really see your point. Who cares where the serial # is. The only reason I see for removing it is to deceive someone in the future. The same with fake Fender decals.

12. ravenstrat

ravenstrat Strat-Talker

Sand it off and refin with clear laquer. I thought about this one too. Could get the serial stamped on the nek plate? If you do it post your results I'd be keen to see how it ends up

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Man, it must be hard playing that thing, knowing it's from Mexico.

14. srvwannab

So would you prefer the vin number to be permanently stamped on the hood of your car where it's easy to see? Just about everything else you can think of has that sort of thing in a discrete location, maybe Fender should stamp it on the heel and pocket. I could care less where it's made, but that stamp is kind of ugly on the back of the headstock and it is a problem if you refinish.

15. midwestfisherma

midwestfisherma Strat-O-Master

Apples and oranges, plus since they don't stamp the vin # on a hood of a car your argument makes no sense. Bottom line if you don't like where they stamp it buy something else. But if you do remove it don't come btichin' when you try to sell it and it won't sell because you removed the serial #.

16. srvwannab

I'm just saying there's no reason to have it there other than convenience, but some people think it looks ugly, they aren't out to rip anybody they just don't like it there, and many thieves wouldn't even know it exists if it wasn't so obvious, so not the best place, it should be stamped into the heel and pocket as well...then it wouldn't matter if somebody refinishes it.

17. madmat

madmat But I digress Strat-Talk Supporter

Aside from the fact that 99% of people would never think to pull their guitar apart to record the serial number.

18. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

19. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Troll thread - troll thread!!!!!!!!!

The serial number is there so that thievs won't mistake your guitar from a Fender Stratocaster and risk going to jail for nothing :)

20. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

I always recommend using one of these when folks want to fuss with perfectly good trademarked logos and decals...

[​IMG]

21. Corona

Corona Senior Stratmaster

60 grit sand paper and a belt sander oughta do it.