Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Removing sharpie from a vintage Strat?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by NickVibrolux92, Dec 19, 2017.

1. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Sharpie is alcohol type based ink, that is the ink Sharpie uses is soluble in alcohol...so if it's Sharpie, alcohol may remove the ink. But it's unlikely to have much affect upon any discoloration that the ink may have wrought on the top/clear coat.

Naphthalene is also good, but again with the same caveat.

However... the bright side is that if the clear coat is poly, any discoloration will probably not have penetrated to the color coat. So it is possible that you could chemically remove the clear coat entirely to eliminate the graffiti. Then reshoot a clear coat of your choice and bingo...new guitar that technically wouldn't be a refin!

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Have you tried simple polishing compound- like Mequier's, followed by a nice carnuba waxing?

NickVibrolux92 and abnormaltoy like this.

3. Shinbones

Shinbones Strat-Talker

Jul 24, 2016
    Australia
    Toluene is another effective solvent for sharpie ink. Not sure how/if it effects nitro though.
    100% Iso' alcohol would be my first go to.
    Do you know any aircraft mechanics? They'll have easy access to both.

4. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    What's the back story on how the obscenities came to be on the guitar?

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Just a quick point - a 1979 Anniversary Strat is not a Vintage Guitar by the usual definitions - it's a late CBS guitar. Although I think the colour is cool, these tended to be very heavy & they are not very popular. They don't usually sell for the prices some people advertise them for.

So, add to all that the fact that the finish is probably ruined & you have a guitar that I wouldn't expect to sell for very much at all.

Dalendl likes this.

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

If the obscenities are clever, they might increase the value.

7. Spiffums

Spiffums Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    Is that before or after you drag it up and down the driveway?

8. NickVibrolux92

NickVibrolux92 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Upstate New York
    Apparently it was love lost sometime in the 80's, written by some previous owner. It is pretty vulgar.

9. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Acetone ( fingernail polish remover) removes sharpie. Don’t know what effect it will have on the finish

10. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I was reading to see when someone would point this out....:)

Although i like the '79 Anniversary strat necks....

11. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    Acetone is very aggressive to some finishes and most plastics. It should be used as a last resort when one has accepted the possibility of refinishing.

moullineaux likes this.

12. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Let's see a picture of the writing.

Does it have that purple sheen of Sharpie?

13. NickVibrolux92

Feb 28, 2012
    Upstate New York
    Umm I'm afraid that I would be kicked off of the forum if I posted a photo of these words. It's nonsensical scribblings which talk about lies, death, and of course have to include the words P***y and D**k. :(

14. NickVibrolux92

Feb 28, 2012
    Upstate New York
    Umm, no.

15. NickVibrolux92

Feb 28, 2012
    Upstate New York
    I love CBS Strats for the reasons why purists don't. I like heavy guitars, big headstocks, thick necks, etc. Younger generations of players, like myself (27 and under) find 70's Fender's and Gibson's to be of historical significance. I've had DOZENS of new cookie cutter American Strats, and to me, they don't at all feel special. CBS Strats feel special to me. Also, the finish isn't ruined, unless you don't like any marks or playwear whatsoever. The marker is coming off slowly but surely. I'm happy with the amount I paid for it and its worth it's 13lb weight in gold to me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

16. stratcat62

stratcat62 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 15, 2011
    California
    The simplest and safest way to remove it is a good cream polish, there have been a few nonsensical ideas that have been proposed prior that would not be advised. I've used an ultra fine point black sharpie to lay out small grid lines for routing of a battery box and the remnants of these lines were removed quickly with a mild cream polish such as Meguiar's. Any polishing compound is abrasive and unnecessary.

NickVibrolux92 likes this.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Marker uses alcohol as a carrier so you can use hand sanitizer (mostly alcohol) or denatured alcohol to remove it.

If it was actually a paint pen you'll need all the more aggressive chemicals in the rest of the thread. Cautious with dissolving the guitar finish.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    13 pounds? :eek: Oh - my - God! And you like that? o_O

I wonder what state your back will be in when you reach the advanced age that many of us are now?

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Just thinking about that made my back hurt.

20. NickVibrolux92

Feb 28, 2012
    Upstate New York
    It's more like 9.5lbs but I wanted to get my point across that I like the heavier bodies and I wanted to see if anyone would react :)

Textele, s5tuart and Dan_Q like this.