Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Replacement neck suggestions

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by ledvedder, Sep 26, 2018.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I'm building a strat and I'm looking for a decent, not overly expensive neck. How are the Mighty Mite necks? Any other suggestions?

2. Jeff Thompson

Jeff Thompson Strat-Talk Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Philadelphia
    I have heard good things about Mighty Mite (though I have not played one myself). Others suggest Allparts necks, and from what I understand they are licensed by Fender. I am in the process of a build and bought a Warmoth neck, which tend to be slightly more expensive. My reason for buying this neck was to experiment with a "Roasted Maple" wood. I am not finished with the build, but the neck itself is very good quality.

It also depends on what you want. If you are not after a brand new neck, or one customized to your liking, you can also explore used Fender necks. Craigslist has the occasional steal, and eBay has some decent options here and there.

Hope that helps!

3. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have used several MM necks with good results. The ones I have used are solid but not spectacular. They were used because of the price point and they were readily available at the time. I used to be able to get them for $60 to $75 on eBay. They are more expensive these days.

They usually need a little tweaking on frets, which is true of most necks. I like the feel of the satin poly finish on their necks.

4. Theus

Theus Strat-Talk Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Germany
    Allparts offers nice quartersawn roasted maple necks. A little bit of work have to be done, but than you have a realy good neck.
    Its not cheap but hey dont try to save money on the Neck. I also think it might better to get a good one second hand, than a bad new one.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    The MM necks are pretty nice - Warmoth makes some REALLY nice necks (much more expensive, though)

I tend to look for Fender or Squier "take off" necks on ebay for builds - REALLY like the value and quality you get from the Squier VM, CV, Standard, or Deluxe Necks!

a few examples, some w tuners, for approx what a MM neck new might cost:

https://stratosphereparts.com/2018-...ster-strat-neck-tuners-guitar-parts-modern-c/

https://stratosphereparts.com/2018-...-stratocaster-strat-neck-tuners-guitar-parts/

https://stratosphereparts.com/fende...0s-stratocaster-strat-neck-guitar-parts-sale/

6. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Mar 14, 2017
    America
    Check out Warmoth’s showcase, and even their hot deals section. I love Warmoth! I’ve used several Warmoth necks without any issues, top notch quality, if you custom order you can get exactly what you want. Do keep in mind custom orders are more expensive. I don’t think you asked about roasted maple necks, but since everyone else is talking about them, I’ll add my two cents. I bought a Roasted Maple neck for my #1 and I love it, I honestly don’t think I could go back to a regular maple neck. (unless I’m looking for vintage tint)

This roasted maple neck only cost me $240 with shipping. That’s with the nut installed and stainless frets

Attached Files:

Theus likes this.
  7. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
  8. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Mar 14, 2017
    America
    It’s a satin feel, it has no finish. It plays super fast and smooth. It feels very similar to my mim Strat neck with a satin finish, but a little smoother. And it smells great. If you do go the roasted way, you’ll have to drill your holes a size larger than what you’d usually use, as the roasted can split easy.

Edit: Not the mounting holes larger, just tuner and string tree holes

9. Theus

Theus Strat-Talk Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Germany
    They have a different feel because you dont have to finish them just polish them or some prefer to put some oil or wax. They have a really smooth feel.

10. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Nice! That's what I love. I have a Peavey Wolfgang from 1998 with just oil. Best neck I've ever played.

11. Theus

Theus Strat-Talk Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Germany
    I think you would be happy wirth roasted maple. Another benefit is, that a lot of common maple necks today are to soft and not dried enough. Especially the cheaper once. That will have bad influence in tone and tune. The roasted maple is very stable after setting and resonates well.

12. Elmo

Elmo Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2018
    Dalton GA
    I have noticed that a lot of people are going after the Highway one necks, at least where I live at

13. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Best Guitar Parts

Musikraft

14. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    For the Warmoth necks, what profiles do you guys prefer?

15. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i like the 59 roundback. its the same shape as the regular C but a little thicker.
    the standard thin is just about like the neck on a standard.
    59Roundback.jpg

16. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I'm wondering if, since I love my Wolfgang's neck, should I go for that profile? An unfinished maple neck with SS frets would be $220 from Warmoth. I'd like to just give it a tru oil finish.

17. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    if you love it, then yeah, go for it.

18. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    Ok guys, I need help making a decision. Would you go with a roasted maple 59 roundback for $260, or a straight up maple Wolfgang for $220?

A roasted maple Wolfgang is $277.

All with 1 11/16" nut and 6105 SS frets.

19. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    roasted maple splits pretty easy. i dont think i would want one. i get my warmoth necks quartersawn.

20. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

Jul 3, 2016
    Tempe az
    Ive used a ton of Warmoth since 1980- they don’t really feel like a 60’s feel, their 59 roubdback is way to thick- im now trying Best Guitar Parts for my next soft “V” shape with stainless steel frets- I’ll tell you when I get it!!