Join Strat-Talk Today

Replacement tuners question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ChrisD, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I'm in total love with split post tuners, just so easy to string the guitar up I find. My St72 has Gotoh tuners. I'd like to replace them with some form of split post tuners. Before I fit a set that requires new holes, I was wondering if anyone knows of a set that is a direct fit for those already fitted. I can't seem to find anything. I'm not opposed to fitting something different, it would just be easier if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance!
    20190315_133529.jpg

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

it's gonna be tough to find a direct drop in.. those little screws will leave visible holes... If speed of changing strings is the primary reason.. try Schaller Locking keys.. the screw hole should line up darn near perfectly....

rk

[​IMG]

EAllen, vid1900, albala and 1 other person like this.
  3. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

Thanks Ron, something like that will definitely be worth consideration and I'm a fan of Schallers stuff too!

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

they should pretty much drop right in too, the Gotoh's require a 10mm hole as do the Schallers..

r

ChrisD likes this.
  5. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talk Member

Ron is not kidding on Schaller lockers! Artwork.

Eric

ChrisD likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I happen to be a fan of Kluson Supreme's. They're an 18:1 ratio split shaft tuner, instead of a 15:1 like split shaft Gotoh's are.

I haven't any idea if they'd be a straight drop in of would require additional effort.

I just know that I truly like them on the two partscasters I have them on.

ChrisD likes this.
  7. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into all of them!

8. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

I’ve got several brands of locking tuners on my guitars, the ones I like best have 3 different staggered heights rather than just 2 for a better string angle on the B & E to eliminate the string trees & when retrofitted there’s holes showing in back & front if you remove the trees. A little maple wood filler can make them almost invisible. Here’s some I’ve used with good results.
    https://hipshotproducts.com/collect...s/fender-directrofit-guitar-tuner-upgrade-kit
    You can also order 2 of each height bass side tuners to make a set of these (2x21mm, 2x20mm, & 2x19mm) and reuse the back screw hole
    https://hipshotproducts.com/collect...ed-guitar-tuning-machines?variant=43346196104
    I have Schaller’s & Sperzel’s that work great, a set of Planet Wave’s(D’Adarrio) on a partcaster that are nice as they automatically cut the string off when tuning up (they’re not staggered & kept trees) & a set of no name 3 height ones that work as well as the name brand ones. The Hipshots are great 21:1 ratio and they all run around $60-$80 a set if you shop around. Lots of options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.