Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Resetting tuning on Yamaha DX7???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Vindibona1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I know this isn't the Yamaha or synth forum, but I know there are a lot of good knowledgeable guys here. Hopefully one of you knows.

I've had to chart an opening to the EW&Fire tune "September" because the printed music that the MD bought sucked. So I went to lay down some sample tracks so he could see how I was approaching it... DX7 electric piano was the last to go down... and the intonation/blend was just plain sour. Could I not have tuned the guitars and bass right? I wasn't as meticulous as usual and they can be contributing the to issue. Yeah... I think I didn't tune the Les Paul either. My bad. The recording wasn't designed for public consumption. I was just conceptualizing so we can modify a chart that seems almost written for a Jr. High pep band :(

HOWEVER... I threw my KORG CA40 on the DX7... Low and behold at least 7 cents flat. I have no idea how to reset it to bring it up to pitch. I could do a master reset, but I'm afraid that I'll lose the voices the previous owner programmed. Anyone know how to reset the tuning on this thing back to A=440?

Anyway... if you want to hear sour, click below... HELP!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    circles likes this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Good lord, man, that's a 35 year old synth. It's gone flat with age, just like the rest of us.

rolandson likes this.

3. Vindibona1

Gee thanks! I did as directed and my Korg CA40 moved right back into to. It was late so I had to do is silently. If I get inspiration tomorrow maybe I can replace the bad tracks.

Thanks again!

Not sure how old it is. A couple years ago I was looking for any old keyboard and have a friend who had a very successful wedding band and has since retired. So I was talking to him one night and asked him if he knew of a cheap but good keyboard anyone might have for sale. He told me to come over to his house. It was an extra taking up space. He just gave it to me! I have no idea how to really use it beyond banging out some tracks when I need it (thank you college piano classes). One day I'm really going to have to learn this thing. Not the best piano sounds but I know there are downloadable voices... If download/upload were as easy as fixing the tuning.

BTW... I do have midi cables. Also, I'd love to learn how to plug it into MuseScore and use it to bang out some sheet music. No idea how to even get started.

adiabatic likes this.

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Debut was 1982, I think. It was a BIG DEAL. The store I worked in had keyboardist standing around the DX7s for weeks after the debut.

mikej89 likes this.

5. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    The DX7 is the classic 80's synth used on endless tracks! It's probably made between around 1983-1986. If you love the 80's keyboard sound it's the one to have. Typically they sell for around $350-400.

It's really the godfather to all modern digital keyboards. Before the Dx7 keyboards were typically analog and much larger.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

6. Vindibona1

I just wanted something that was a couple steps higher up than a toy Casio. My family always had a piano around and while I suck at playing (mom was a concert pianist) having unweighted keys is so foreign feeling. Even just playing simple chords felt so unnatural. I guess the Nord is the board to have these days, though I see some Rolands and Korgs out there too. The DX7 will probably be more than I ever need.

BTW- When I hit the batt check button to exit last night the volatage displayed at 2.8v. Still good? Sooner or later I'll have to have it replaced. Perhaps it's time to begin exploring this beast some more. The manuals are WAY too technical. I just want to put sounds in and play/record and possible bang out some sheet music.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    I have an MO6 and it's super simple to change by cent and transpose.. but sorry, no help here from me. Surely there is some way.

8. Vindibona1

I don't recall if I replied, but thanks- it fixed the issue. What I don't understand is now it went flat in the first place. I know at some point I had to do a reset on it and it was fine. I went to re-record the track and didn't realize the DAW wasn't recognizing my interface so it the intonation sounded better, but I'm going to have to re-re-record the track.

adiabatic and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

9. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    Could be as simple as a drift in a capacitor. 9 times out of 10 when old (and sometimes not old like my Onkyo AV Receiver) electronics are out of spec or malfunctioning, it's a capacitor. :D

10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I bet the acoustic piano patches on it are horrid as they are with my '88 Yamaha SY35...

11. Vindibona1

Yamaha has not been known for their wonderful piano sound. It surprises me but it's a very old unit. I'm not a keys player, I just play at it and can throw down some chords when I need to (and practice). Having grown up with a piano in the house I've never gotten used to unweighted keys.