Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Restoration of my S-type

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by PelhamSG, Nov 28, 2017.

1. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Strat-Talk Member

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    Hey folks! I just thought I'd share my only S-type guitar and its story. It was my very first electric guitar that I got when I was about 7-8, so that makes it 12-13 years old (in late 2017). its also the most naturally "relic'd" in my collection. Its a cheap guitar that came with the starter kit that had the little amp included. Even when I got rid of other guitars to trade up, I held on to this one. It even sat in a closet for a few years, and I STILL did not want to get rid of it. It was in the closet because it was unplayable because the wiring got messed up and the jack got torn out. I just recently I decided to get her back into playing condition. I first got it over to a friend that knows wiring and we fixed up the jack and the wiring to make it playable. Next I got a trem arm (original is long gone) and added 2 stings to make a 5 spring trem. I still need to get some better pickups, mainly the bridge humbucker, and adjust the claw for the trem to make it less stiff. I want 5 springs for holding a tune, but its way too hard to move right now. It could also use some fretwork, but that can wait for a year or two. Right now its perfectly playable and sounds pretty good! Im using it as my main guitar in my band. So the moral of the story? Dont give up on old/cheap guitars. I own 7 guitars ranging from this one to $1500, and I have to admit this one is one of the most fun to play! [​IMG] [​IMG]

FenderBNDR, metale and vlxerdon like this.

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Glad you two got back together ;)

PelhamSG likes this.

3. Virgman

Virgman Strat-O-Master

Nov 2, 2012
    Joisey
    Looks like a nice guitar.

I'm glad you got it going again.

Obviously it has sentimental value to you. Nothing wrong with that.

PelhamSG likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Good to resurrect an old friend.

Before you go down the pickup swapping path .. change out the pots and caps. I used to change pickups until I learned how effective that $20 worth of bits can make a guitar into a keeper.

PelhamSG likes this.

5. PelhamSG

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    Never even considered it! Good idea! Its a bit muddy in the lower end, so what kind should I get? 250 or 500k?

6. PelhamSG

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    Yeah this one has alot of memories behind it. glad to have her up and running again :)

7. PelhamSG

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    Im glad too :D I told a buddy of mine that if this guitar could talk, we'd be sharing a case of beer and talking about good times

FenderBNDR likes this.

8. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    500k if it's muddy, with a .033 cap as a starting point 'cause you have the HB as well as two SCs.
    If mine could talk, they'd probably complain about my not paying enough attention to some of them and constantly taking apart the others...
    I still have my first electric, too. Man, I've had it for... ages... must be two years now...

Edit: just checked, it was two years and 8 days ago that I first picked it up.
    Was a Friday. On Monday, I called the shop and asked them to put it aside for me.
    I wasn't into the look at all, neither the shape nor the color, but that Tele just felt like mine!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

9. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talk Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    Since you obviously plan to use the trem the first thing you need to do is ditch the two extra springs---I have been playing/setting up S-type guitars for decades, and have never needed more than 3---using more springs WILL NOT help with tuning stability! Using the trem when it is not adjusted properly WILL! Take it someone who knows what they are doing before you spend a bunch of money on electronics!

10. PelhamSG

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    I do know what I’m doing lmao. I’m gonna bring the claw forward to ease the tension on the springs. If I’m not happy with it, I’ll ditch them

11. PelhamSG

Sep 19, 2017
    chicago
    Just an update.... I kept the 5 springs, but lowered the claw to decrease tension on the springs. the bridge has a VERY slight float. stays in tune PERFECTLY when using it heavily. I took it to band rehearsal and my buddy brought his Schecter with a Floyd rose and mine stayed in tune better! Albeit, he was able to do deeper dive bombs, but my white guitar stayed in tune overall better. He did mention that he didn't have his set up properly (only using 2 springs and the nut wasn't locked), but ill still take some pride :D

FenderBNDR likes this.