Join Strat-Talk Today

Richlite fretboards?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Lonn, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Gibson has a couple of really nice LPs on sale right now at $1199, but they have richlite boards. I'm not sure I've ever heard of this material. I did a little reading but of course nothing speaks like experience. Anyone have any?

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a Martin with richlite board, feels smooth and nice like a nice ebony board. It's dark black like ebony too.

3. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes I have have Hagström's version of Richlite on my Deuce F and I like it fine.

4. Lonn

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

The ones I’ve seen on Martin’s look okay and I don’t know why but I just prefer real ebony. I guess if I’m buying a $1K+ guitar I just want real wood on it.

6. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

It's a man made material used to substitute for ebony.

Of course, I would probably prefer wood, but I also don't believe in the tone wood debate either, so if I bought a guitar that had one, I wouldn't care.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Richlite is more stable that ebony, and does not tear out if you ever damage a fret.

Textele and T Bone Slort like this.
  8. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have it on a new Martin. Feels ok. No idea on the longevity

9. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talker

Same here, have it on a Martin accoustic. I like it just fine.

10. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talk Member

I just finished a neck for a build I'm doing and I put a Richlite fretboard on it. I really like it. I don't think Gibson uses anything but black, but if you go to the Richlite website, they have some pretty cool options for fretboards. I'll be using it again.

11. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

I had a 2002 Martin with a Micarta board, Richlite's older cousin. Felt just like Ebony for the most part and looked similar.

One real advantage is a refret is supposedly much easier with Richlite. It will not chip and splinter.

12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I have a Les Paul Custom with a Richlite fret board. As I've said many times, I never even think about it until these types of posts crop up. Although knowing they have gone back to ebony is a bit depressing considering what I paid for it and the now decimated resale value my heirs will be faced with.

If you are buying it to play then that is an excellent price.

13. Lonn

Admin Post
    Buying new for resale isn't an option. If my Paisley Tele would sell I'd probably pull the trigger. They're selling the P90 version for the same price.

14. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

And I've heard of possible fret issues due to ebony shrinkage.
    I have a Lucille with Richlite and I don't even notice that it is not ebony. So that says a lot to me when it comes to practical use. I do like real wood, but ha no problem with Richite.

Yogi and vid1900 like this.
  15. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought one of the P90 guitars @Lonn

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/n...layer-plus-satin-vintage-sunburst-p90.503803/

When those guitars first came out they were street priced ar $ 1999.00

The one I bought has turned into one of the best Gibson Electrics I've ever owned, or played. They really put some care in these guitars when they made them.

I used to be sceptical of Richlite but after owning and playing this one in, I am a big fan of it. Richlite is way more consistent than wood could ever be. It feels, looks, and plays just like my older Les Paul Custom that has an Ebony board.

There will always be detractors when a guitar manufacturer makes a decision to use something like Richlite. But you will find that most detrators don't own or haven't spent any time playing one.

I've spent two and 1/2 weeks playing this guitar and I can honestly say (at that price they are a steal) these guitars rank up there with their 3 and 4k siblings.

It's basically a Classic with a Satin Nitro finish, no sticky neck, And the binding on the neck has the nibs covering the fret.

Just outstanding guitars! NO weight relief or chambering, solid mahogany back. So they are heavy. Mine is 10.0 lbs. But it sings like a bird.

If I could afford it, I seriously would buy two more, one with mini-humbuckers, and the full humbucker (Burstbucker Pros) model.

I said it in the other thread too, but if Gibson starts putting out this kind of quality again, consistently, the glory days for Gibson are ahead of them.

Stratoman10 likes this.
  16. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i have made several repairs on rosewood and ebony boards fret slots by mixing fine saw dust of the same wood with superglue, it makes invisible repairs and is strong as can be.

i am pretty sure richlite is a mixture of some kind of dust and glue or epoxy. it is probably way more stable than wood.

17. Lonn

Admin Post
    They don't have the minibucker version in that cool blue so that will probably stop me from buying. Great deal just the same.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

What about those inlays .. had they best be elephant ivory? Nut made of rhino horn? Panda pelt guitar strap?

Richlite and other materials need to get substituted in all the guitars -- two million new guitars are built every year, that is a few trees considering wood is not cut from the tops or around knots or the different wood color sections.

Factories are weak and won't change their ways until buyers demand differently.

So if chasing MIA builders then why not MIA materials?

19. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

When did Martin go to richlite?

20. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

dunno. I have only had the Martin about a month

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.