Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Right boost for a Bassman

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by MaM86, Oct 11, 2018.

Valve or ST overdrive for a Bassman?

1. Valve (high voltage)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Solid-state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
    Hi All,

I'm looking for an overdrive pedal for a Fender Bassman combo. Crunchy, dynamic base sound for a relatively hot (player series) strat, for medium volumes, smaller gigs.

Valve (english muffin, LPB2) or solid-state stuff like Maxon, TS?
    Any suggestions, experiences?

Thank you! :)

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Interesting that you specify "high voltage".
    I'm not a fan of starved plate designs that use as little as 50VDC on the plate.

3. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
    I meant OD pedals where the tubes operate on high voltages. I'm not an expert, just trying to sort out wannabe valve sounds.

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Um....Try out an SD1.

Those things sound amazing with Bassmans.

MaM86 likes this.
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    What sort of budget are you trying to stick to?
    There's a pedal called the Detroit Casket coming out from Nocturne Brain that passes through the lows unscathed and clean, and doesn't add an artificial "mid-hump" after the drive. This is the sort of pedal I'd be looking for, but Tavo's pedals do command a premium.

6. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    It takes a pretty hot signal out of a guitar to overdrive the first gain stage in that amp and I do not think your guitar has that, so any overdrive/ distortion your getting now out of the amp will be from the latter gain stages and the output stage clipping / distorting.

All that being said even a clean boost stomp box would let you overdrive that first gain stage, but if the amp is in good shape with strong output tubes it's going to be loud thru 2-12" speakers when doing so!

If your going to need to play at lower volumes then loud you have a few options.

1) get a combination overdrive and distortion stomp box that is tube based.

2) play thru only 1 12" speaker.
    This will half the sound pressure level in the room and since the amp will be driving a 8 ohm load and not it's normal 4 ohm load you knock 1/3rd of the output wattage off of the amp to allow you to crank the amp open more yet have less volume.

3) install JJ electronics brand 6V6 tubes in the amps output section and set the bias right for them.
    This is my favorite mod for these amps for folks who play them but can play them load enough to overdrive the amps output stage and get that great sustane and dynamics out of the amp.
    This mod basically gives you the output power of a Deluxe reverb size amp!

7. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    The answer depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.
    From the small amount of info you have given I would suggest a Barber Direct Drive SR.
    They are currently on sale at the Barber site for about $125.
    It will get you everything from clean overdrive to crunch (probably my favorite crunch pedal) and more if you want it.
    They are hand made and hand wired in the USA, they sound fantastic (“alive”) and they cost less than a new tube screamer!

MaM86 likes this.
  8. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
    THX!
    I could go to 200-250, if it's good. And I like what you say: sorting out that artificial mid-hump, exactly! :) I'll check this stuff. However I'm located in the EU, but my father is in the US now, so maybe I can ask him to take a pedal. :)

9. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
    Thanks!
    This is a 4 x 10 amp now, but theses mods sound interesting. I've been using a vox straight 8 pedal, which sounds very good, but with a good amount of distortion it narrows, thins the sound too much. With the volume up, it opens, but thats freaking loud, that's why I'm looking for another one, and using this first for solo boost.
    I think your first suggestion could be most suitable for me.

10. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest

Normally I'd use 2 sounds on stage (plus a boosted for solo). A crunchy one and a thicker, more driven, also this for solo sound. Now I miss the first one, since I don't have a second overdrive pedal for that - that's what I'm looking for. So now I play a very dry clean with this amp, which is, as a matter of fact not bad. The key would be the valve-driven, dynamic crunchy sound with good response and pick attack.
    I check what you suggest!

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

J-Rad (Rockett pedals) The DUDE

its so perfect with a bassman.

MaM86 likes this.
  12. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    MaM86 likes this.
  13. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
  14. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
  15. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

MaM86 and chrimturn like this.
  16. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
    I've listened nearly sixty pedals, videos, samples, etc, today and by these materials I liked especially two from the non-valve offer: the Mesa Boogie Flux and the Orange Getaway. Both sounded good, but the Mesa is incredible.
    The Direct Drive sounded a but heavier than I'd expect on some videos.

17. MaM86

MaM86 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hungary, Budapest
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    cant go wrong with the analogman bad bob.

19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Some are a lot lower than 50!