Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Right Result!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Fretmeltkid, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    Which would also bump the resale value...

2. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Let me be clear and point out the importance of documenting in writing and with pictures the changes you can make.

• You have a guitar that has aged differently than the parts you received after all these years. If one day you decide to sell it will be obvious to collectors/aficionados/dealers that something's not adding up. (We've seen it on numerous occasions on this forum)
    • If you replace the neck plate, it's one of the many things I check when buying an old guitar. The nitro underneath will give off to the bottom of the plate over the years they are joined together. If this doesn't correspond, the question rises if the guitar is a parts-caster.
    So, as some others said, it may increase the value, but it could as easy raise a lot of questions and kill the value...

Michelotti likes this.

3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Provenance is everything. If it was me, I'd have the gold back on and the complete story typed out and dated, preferably with correspondence from the original owner, in a sealed envelope in the guitar case. Even taped to the underside of the case flap. And the replacement hardware in a ziplock bag in the case too. Yep.

4. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

Gold is cool on a custom les Paul...not on a strat. Keep them in a bag and rock out. When the tuner fall apart get period correct nickel tuners and keep going.

You only know this guitar with the parts it has. It would feel weird to me to look down after all this time being used to seeing one thing and now see something else.

5. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    I'd document it, keep em in the case and put it on if you sell it. But it is incredibly cool. And a part of me would want to put it on

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Strat-Talker

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    Just for the experience, put it back as it originaly was to see how it is. Take many pictures, check if you like it or not, and decide if you want to put back the changed parts. Strat neck with plastic keys is pretty charming by the way… At least you have the whole story and gear.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

7. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Go for the gold! As long as gold hardware isn't all flaked and scratched to death I think it looks awesome!

8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Yeah, I think whatever you decide longterm, it's a no brainer to at least put the gold on for a photo shoot. I reckon you'd have a vintage guitar magazine all over it, particularly with the back story ;)

crashbelt likes this.

9. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Its a tough one; the 59 is pretty well known as my main gig guitar for many years
    she has good provenance of her history and its all with nickel hardware
    the gold hardware is too good to be true condition
    wise and i have the bridge plate missing from the set (it is still fitted, the gold was rubbed off to make it nickel way back) i can get another easy enough though

To me it wont be for sale while i am still breathing so i have no care for any issues there, so i reckon assemble it with gold for some archive pics, it sure as hell will look weird with beat up neck and body and near mint hardware
    then put her back as i know and love her, and put the gold stuff in a bag

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    sikoniko likes this.

10. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    You sure the gokd was rubbed off deliberately? I had a 80's 'the strat' with gold plated hardware. Gold on the plate was long gone :)

At the least put the bits on and assemble it for a pic or two. Then put em all away again...

11. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The plate is the original but with the gold plate rubbed off like the trem plate
    You can still see gold on the rear and in the screw holes
    I ordered a repro gold one with the correct serial number in case I do return her to how she was borne

12. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Jul 28, 2018
    UK
    I'd leave it as it is but document the story. It's cool that it has a story, it adds to the mojo and I think it looks great as it is. I'm not a fan of red guitars but it's a real looker.

13. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    just doing a stock take of the parts to make sure i have a complete set and then i will strip her ready for the rebuild
    i need her for a session on monday first but after that its "get your kit off baby!!"

T Guitar Floyd likes this.