Join Strat-Talk Today

RIP Dick Dale

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mipstoo, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

I don't think you guys fully grasp what Dick Dale meant to electric guitar.

He was Leo's 1st rock and roll test pilot. he was the first Strat guitar hero. He is responsible for the creation of high powered amps, stack amps, outboard guitar effects, high powered speakers, playing at LOUD volume and quite honestly - just about every heavy player to come after him because he was the original seed, patient zero, the OG. He was also the first really pompous rockstar, a model that the brits especially would follow.

You can count on one hand the the guys responsible for creating a genre of music. Dick Dale is one of those... and he's the middle finger.

Rest in peace, you earned it.

2. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Something I think/hope he'd find appropriate.

RIPDD.gif

LPBlue, Lone Woof and Boognish like this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

I think some of us do. ;)

4. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

Turn this up to 11....

RIP Dick

5. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Terribly sad news.

I was hoping to see him when I was in the US but dates never coincided.

I'll never see him now.

RIP Fender and bona fide guitar hero - Dick Dale.

6. MooC50

MooC50 Strat-Talk Member

Legend.
    The stress he was under to pay his medical bills didn't help, and is just wrong.:(

In an interview with Vice News in 2012 aged 75, Dale describes his battle with cancer and diabetes, and the reason why he continued to perform against the advice of doctors.

"They say I should never be on stage, I shouldn't be playing," he says, adding: "My medical bill is over $3,000 a month to buy supplies I have to get for my body."

Neil.C likes this.
  7. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-O-Master

Exactly what year was that Strat be played? And was there just one? I mean, I always wondered how it could have remained in such fairly good condition with all the heavy touring the man evidently did. Look at Rorys and SRV's... And other examples of guitars from that era... And with such massive strings..

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Yep, that was my only reservation about @Vic Interceptor ’s post… I wrote what I wrote precisely because I do realize that. For the rest, I could not have put it better than him, so two thumbs up!

Vic Interceptor likes this.
  9. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sad news.
    R.I.P

10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

11. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

RIP DD!!

Now I want a gold strat!

12. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

"The Beast" is a 1960 Stratocaster. Electronically modded way back but with the original 60s pickups.
    As you say, it's a wonder that the guitar withstood the years of playing, recording and gigging. But how a guitar ages is not only due to how much is played... Apparently Richard didn't have the same toxic sweat as Rory did and maybe had a strong attack on the heavy gauge strings which spared the guitar?

Stratbats likes this.
  13. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

which was THE speaker I loved.....and he was involved with the Showman amp, my very favorite old-school amp. I still try to get a similar tone to that rig, even with smaller Fender amps.

https://www.fender.com/articles/artists/the-father-of-surf-7-essential-dick-dale-facts/

"Dale and Fender would continue to work together on upping the ante, building a speaker cabinet that could house two 15-inch speakers to sustain his vicious riffage. Of course, that needed an even bigger transformer, so they teamed with the Triad Company to design a 100-watt version that peaked at 180 watts. Thus, the Dual Showman was born, a revered game-changer."

https://equipboard.com/pros/dick-dale

[​IMG]

https://equipboard.com/pros/dick-dale/fender-dual-showman-guitar-amplifier

"Custom 2x15 cabs made by Leo Fender for Dick Dale" for those JBL D's

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/Tone-Tips/myth-busters-dick-dale-520/

"Dale was playing high-powered Fender Showman amps (a model he helped Fender to develop in 1960-’61)"

Thank you Dick Dale.

14. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

THE FINAL PERFORMANCE JAN. 5, 2019. Riverside, Ca.

Dick Dale Final Concert.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Neil.C, craigh, johnnymg and 2 others like this.
  15. davidKOS

Which I if I recall was to remove the tone controls and have a single volume control and a switch for neck or bridge pickup only.

Mipstoo likes this.
  16. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

I had the GREAT pleasure of meeting THE MAN when I built my 'Beast' replica strat in 2014.
    I will truly miss him! R I P Dick Dale (Richard Monsour).

a208.jpg

Bluebird_12 and Mipstoo like this.
  17. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

That was kind of a joke, as DD did not invent the D130. I'm sure he help convince Leo to use them though. ;)

davidKOS likes this.
  18. davidKOS

It's easy to understand the Dick Dale influence associated with JBL's:

http://www.fretboard.com/jblspeakerclarity.html

"The orange framed D series speakers were so coloured for Fender and the "F" designation after the D-120 (D-120F) was simply a reference that these specifically tagged speakers were slated for Fender amps. If you have heard anything about the orange framed speakers being somehow different than the grey framed speakers, you have been feed a load of hooey. There is absolutely no difference between the two. Whether they actually got into the amps or not can be debated forever. D series speakers were commonly grey framed for the general market and Fender amps (Deluxe, Showman, Twin, et al) were initially outfitted with the grey framed D series speakers, usually by special order. In my experience, about the time the orange frame was introduced, you could get Fender amps with JBLs as an "upgraded" version, which often had a JBL emblem in the lower right corner of the speaker grill. "

https://pro.harman.com/insights/harman-pro/loud-and-clear-the-story-of-jbl-fender/

"The connection between JBL and Fender originated back in 1947, when JBL founder James Bullough Lansing introduced the revolutionary D130 15-inch full-range loudspeaker."

So the JBL speaker was already around by DD's time.

"Amps with JBL speakers could be easily spotted with the hallmark silver D130 cone shining through the grill. The famous “JBL sound” was soon adopted by players like Dick Dale, the King of Surf Guitar, who purportedly told Leo Fender he needed to add the D130 to his amplifiers."

So DD wanted the JBL's!

fezz parka likes this.
  19. jim293

jim293 Strat-Talker

I was fortunate enough to get to see him at a Guitar Canter in California. They had a impromptu mini concert with some local talent and then Dick Dale performed. He was awesome. When he was not playing he was cruising through the store like a customer.

Wayne D. likes this.
  20. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

In the group I play with, one of our original songs has a Dick Dale style surf guitar break that is always my responsibility to play on my strat. It’s fast, it’s a real hoot to play, and it ends up being a little different each time I play it. I’ve gained a new respect for the pioneer of that style. R.I.P. Dick Dale.

johnnymg and Wayne D. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.