Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Roadhouse blues

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by myatuck, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

1. myatuck

myatuck New Member!

Thursday
    Charlotte
    2014 Roadhouse

Preamp and six position rotary switch tone select

Rotary is and has always been stiff to turn ... just like every other low end rotary switch I’ve ever encountered

Even though I haven’t used the switch twelve times in three years, the plastic knob has lost grip sufficient to turn switch ... it just spins

Fender is willing to replace switch but I don’t see that as a permanent fix

A metal brass insert with set screw knob will fix the problem as would a plastic knob with a brass insert that actually marries the splines of the pot

Problem is for the new knobs to match I need something that will work with the preamp switch .. the one where the inside pushes down to kill the preamp

Any suggestions and yes I lubricated the rotary ... it’s never going to turn so easily that a non splined plastic knob is going to last

Hard to believe I’m the first to call Fender on this but so they sayeth

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM

2. myatuck

myatuck New Member!

Thursday
    Charlotte
    Okay here’s where I am leaving it

If anyone knows better chime in

No one makes a replacement knob for a Roadhouse with pre amp meaning Fender factory knob is the only option

That means: upgrade the tone knobs to something that will better grip the pot posts and u live with mismatch

I lubed the rotary then wrapped the post with the adhesive metal tape used to back pick guards, adhesive side out, shiny side worked into each spline of the post

Pushed the factory knob over the tape, works for now

3. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    One possibility would be swap all 3 for Telecaster style knobs with set screws.
    Use brass conversion tubes from Allparts on the splined shafts. There is a Telecaster S1 dual knob for the S1 volume.
    It would also be possible to swap the splined S1 switch/pot assembly for the solid shaft Telecaster version and replace T2 with a solid shaft pot. You would only need a piece of tube on the splined rotary switch.

https://www.allparts.com/EP-0220-008-Pack-of-5-Brass-Pot-Sleeves_p_1290.html

http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-s-1-knob-for-telecaster-p-bass-0059272049/

4. myatuck

myatuck New Member!

Thursday
    Charlotte
    Thank you very much

That is indeed a long term solution You would not believe how many ‘experts’ are unaware of that tele s1 switch

Ordering parts, probably going to have the knobs powder coated in creme, should look good and perform even better

Thanks again