Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Robin Trower: Question about his gear

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Darryld1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Darryld1

Darryld1 Strat-Talker

I'd like to recreate the sound he's making in this video

YouTube - Robin Trower - Daydream (Live)

Would anyone happen to know or be able to hazard a guess at what he's got from the pickups, to the floor pedals and amp? Perhaps that's a known strat too ('70's headstock?)

One guess is that in the neck he's got a '69 and on the floor a Robin Trower Deja Vibe pedal.

Thanks,

Darryl

2. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

I know he likes heavy guage strings and tunes down a 1/2 step from normal tunning. I have also hear that he likes Marshalls for his clean sounds and fender amps for his dirty sounds.

3. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

Robin Trower's Current Effects Pedals, Guitar & Amp Setup:

Guitar: Fender Robin Trower Signature Stratocaster in Midnight Wine Burst color which is based on the large 70's CBS headstock, 4 bolt neck with a Fender custom 50s pickup in the neck position, custom 60s pickup in middle and Tex Mex in bridge position with 3 springs in the tremolo and Sperzel locking tuners.

Effects pedals used: Robin uses Fulltone effects by Mike Fuller exclusively including the OCD Obsessive Compulsive Drive, Clyde McCoy Deluxe Wah (based on the original Vox Clyde McCoy Wah circuit used extensively by Jimi Hendrix) and the Deja Vibe 2 (Uni-Vibe Clone) along with a Boss TU-2 tuner.

On the DVD and an interview with Robin in Modern Guitar Magazine, his effects chain shows him using the Fulltone Soul Bender, the Distortion Pro and Fat Boost. Since the OCD came out, he has since stopped using those and now uses just the OCD for it's beautiful clean & transparent boost of low and highs with complex harmonics instead of the more distorted fuzz type and/or hi gain sound of the other pedals that can sometimes sacrifice clarity. This new combination seems to be the magic tone from the spheres when he cranks up his Strat through the OCD, into his Clyde Deluxe Wah, into the Deja Vibe 2 into dual Marshall half stack amplifiers! Woo Hoo!!!

Back in July, 2006, at the Cleveland House of Blues show, I asked him why he wasn't using the Fulltone Soul Bender at the moment and he said "Oh, I'm always changing things up a bit here and there monkeying around with effects" ....as any good tone junkie should I may add!

At the Pittsburgh show, I spotted 2 Fulltone OCD pedals connected together as the roadie did a sound check! Thinking "THIS" must be his secret to that killer tone aside from those magic fingers that barely seem to touch the strings as a barrage seemingly endless unearthly sounds permeate the air. So this was my one big question to ask him as I waited excitedly in line to get an autograph while he relaxed in the back seat of his SUV after the show. When I finally got to meet him for the second time since Cleveland in July, I mentioned my question about the Soul Bender at the July show. He nodded an said "Ah yes!" as if he remembered me, or politely seemed to and said about the 2 OCD's "Oh no! That second OCD is just for a backup..." Hmmm? I wonder...?! ;-) Glad I remembered to bring the binoculars, as I was able to see all the amp settings, how he played several favorite songs and walked right up to the pedals and made a mental notes of it all...don't bother asking though because I wouldn't dare tell!

Amplifiers: On the Living Out Of Time DVD he was using two Marshall JCM 900s because of their built in preamp distortion capability, but I think one of them went bad, so he's back to using a vintage Marshall JCM 800 from the 80's and a Marshall JMP Plexi that he used all the way back in the 70's when he toured around the Bridge Of Sighs time!

Book Info: There is a great book out called Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer and Trower : Rock Chronicles with a bio and interviews with Robin and his long-time manager and friend Derek Sutton, who has been instrumental to keeping Robin on the road all these years, as well as various past and present band members. It is just an incredible insight into his life and long lived career, on up to today including his deep Catholic based faith, his preference for Cracker Barrel & Bob Evans restaurants while touring the U.S., family, and his intensely private personal life. It's an absolute must read if you want to know more about this amazing member of rock royalty's elite.

Robin Trower just keeps on rockin' the blues with unquestionably THE most awesome rock n' soulful blues tones the world has ever known! God Bless him and his band. Hopefully, they will return again for many years to come.

SOL Guitars
    www.solguitars.net

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Volusia

Volusia Strat-O-Master

6. defjamzbluz

defjamzbluz Strat-Talker

Awesome, this is the coolest thread that I have opened in a while!!! I have the living out of time Video and I have to say it is one that I could watch over and over again. Trower is truely a master, and as far as I am concerned one of the greatest.

7. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

He sure has his pups very high.

8. Volusia

Volusia Strat-O-Master

I'm not sure of the reason but I do know he uses heavy gauge strings and tunes down a whole step to D. He has also said in many interviews I've seen or read that his action is very, very high. That might account for the increase in the pick up height.

Here's another RT DVD I have from the Hot Licks series. He talks about his gear (of that time) plus gives some insight to his guitar and amp set up and breaks down some of his licks.

One thing about RT, he's experimented with many different gear, pick ups and effects over the years and he's always evolving and changing things up. I think his sound from Living Out of Time to the present is the best I've ever heard from him.

The audio is poor but good enough...enjoy!

PART 1
    YouTube - Robin Thrower / Classic-Blues-Rock guitar /1

PART 2
    YouTube - Robin Thrower / Classic-Blues-Rock guitar /2

PART 3
    YouTube - Robin Thrower / Classic-Blues-Rock guitar /3

PART 4
    YouTube - Robin Thrower / Classic-Blues-Rock guitar /4

PART 5
    YouTube - Robin Thrower / Classic-Blues-Rock guitar /5

9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

I was lucky. Back in 97' my blues band got to open for Mr. Trower. It's still the high point of my checkered career. That night I got to see his rig up close. He was using a Vox wah, a 69' pedal, Fulldrive II, Deja-Vibe. He had 2 HR Deluxes driving Marshall Cabs and a Marshall half stack. He used his Strats tuned a whole step down strung with 12's. I started buying and using as many Fulltone pedals as I can not long after that....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. IvegotGAS

IvegotGAS Senior Stratmaster

11. AnthonyLee

AnthonyLee Strat-Talker

12. IvegotGAS

IvegotGAS Senior Stratmaster

13. Darryld1

Darryld1 Strat-Talker

Will I be moderated for saying that I love you guys? Thanks for everything you've posted so far. I haven't had time to read and watch it all yet but I thought I'd say thanks in advance anyway.

Darryl

14. Zagnut

Zagnut Strat-Talker

Robin Trower fan here too. Saw him locally in a small venue a few years ago and it was as good as any album only better since I was watching him play! This probably ought to be in the Effects forum, but has anyone here used the Robin Trower Overdrive? The youtube stuff just doesn't sound very dynamic, but maybe it's supposed to be more subtle than the OCD. Sounds good when RT uses it. :mrgreen:

15. Darryld1

Darryld1 Strat-Talker

For effects comparisons and tests, you might want to check out 'Gearmanndude' (with two 'n's) on youtube. He does side by side comparisons of anything i've ever heard of and much more, including sounding like Jack Black. Cult following too.

I've been considering whether to buy an all in one effects pedal unit (Boss GT10) or separate pedals. I think, if I follow my preferred style of music, i'll end up with a few pedals between me and my amp.

16. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Wow, that seems like an opposite from most.

17. Volusia

Volusia Strat-O-Master

I have it and it's a *****'n fantastic pedal. I also own the Fulltone MDV2 and Fulltone Clyde Wah. Fulltone makes a great product and that RTO was designed specific to his specs. Check out StevieSnacks "COMPARINATOR" for a gear comparrison of the RTO against the others he has listed.

OldToneZone.com » The OD Pedal Comparinator

18. Xchekker94

Xchekker94 Strat-O-Master

Here's are some of the pictures I took of RT's rig from a September 2009 show. I flipped a couple so you could read the labels on the ones that aren't so obvious:

From right to left, Boss TU-2, Fultone Robin Trower Signature Overdrive, Fultone Full-Drive, Fultone Clyde Wah, Fultone Wah-Full, and Fultone Dejavibe 2 into two Marshall heads. At a previous show in 2007 he was using an old 70's JMP Plexi head and the other was a JCM 800. He's now using Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 heads. RT plays his Signature Strats with a Tex-Mex in the bridge, Custom 60's in the middle and Custom 50's in the neck position and hardly ever uses the bridge pickup.

I geek heavily for robin Trower. He's on tour again this year. He's in his late 60's so go and see him and hope you can rock as hard as he does when you are a grandpa!

Attached Files:

19. Volusia

Volusia Strat-O-Master

That WAH FULL is something I would love to have. I saw an interview where Robin explained what it did and he said Mike made that just for him so it's not on the market...at least not that I know of.

20. Darryld1

Darryld1 Strat-Talker

That 'Comparinator' is a damn handy thing. OCD vs Robin Trower OD? OCD for me. The irony is that i'm a therapist and buying something called 'OCD' is just a teeny bit weird.

21. Xchekker94

Xchekker94 Strat-O-Master