Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Rock is Dead

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stormy Monday, Oct 26, 2017.

1. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Subscription only article.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Old bands started out as young bands too, then time took it's toll.

No idea what the article says, I could only read the first two lines, then the bouncers threw me out I hit the pay wall...

3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    sorry

this is the band in the beginning of that.

Percy, fattboyzz, NorthShore and 2 others like this.

4. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Rock is ....not as big as it used to be?

I played a gig recently in a bar and we had around 70 -80 people, which meant the pub was pretty full. After the second set I went out to get some air and the bar across the road had a DJ and people were jammed in there and pilling out onto the streets because they couldn't all fit in. 100's of them.

And we play pretty well and have a good reputation....

However, I still see kids wanting to learn classic rock songs, so all is not lost.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Young people imitating the musicians who came before them. Wow what a concept! Better right an article about it!

6. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Rock is Dead
    Not as long as I'm Still Alive & Well.

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I was discussing this with a fellow musician recently. He pointed out that when you look at the age demographic of gigging bands, they are all 40+ people...many 50+. You don't see you people in their 20's forming bands and going out getting gigs. Some of them may be learning how to play, but for some reason they aren't looking to get out there and gig.

Perhaps this is part of the problem.

nigelr likes this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Rock'n'Roll is jazz. Or Swing. Niche market.

9. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Rock is dead ... didnt Roger Daltry sing that a few decades ago? Meh, its all BS, Rock is alive and well ... as @fezz parka said, its a niche market now.

Some reasons are:
    A. Bar / clubs getting sued over copywrite infringement for having cover bands.
    B. Cost of touring is so high that only the financially backed bands can afford to do it.
    C. In this age of "download everything for free" there's little to no money left in record sales for anyone but the biggest bands.

Gene Simmons did a great interview about this very topic, and though I rarely listen to anything the guys has to say, he did make some valid points that time.

10. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    This is a large part of the problem I think. In general, much less value is put on music these days. On one hand, it's great that there is such easy access to tremendous amounts of music...but now nobody wants to pay for it. Why would a bar or restaurant pay hundreds of dollars for a band when they can pay a DJ half of that and have the same draw into their business?

Fortunately where I am there is still some value held for live music, though it's dwindling :(.

TheDuck likes this.

11. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I read this article this morning...before the pay wall hit, i guess. Pretty good article that hopefully keeps my spirits up as far as rock music goes. Pop sucks! IMHO, of course!:D

Paperback Rocker and TheDuck like this.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    In my opinion too :thumb:

13. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

Rock isn't dead, it just smells funny.

14. fezz parka

Not copyright infringement. Bar owners are too cheap to get the proper licenses from PRO's like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. Blame the cheapskate owners for the trouble, not copyright owners/publishers. You use someone else's property to sell beer, pay the organization who represents the owner.

15. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Points taken, and thank you for the detailed clarification. I was vague, I know.
    But seriously, suing bars and clubs? Whats next, suing guitar players for "stealing licks"?

Playing Highway to Hell in a local club is not the same as using the same song in a national beer commercial. One size does not fit all.
    Wait, in todays society, yea, it does :(

That said, there's two sides to every story, but from my point of view, the record labels and their money grubbing legal teams are responsible for not only the decline of live music on both the pro and amateur levels, but also the decline of record sales.

16. fezz parka

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Here it used to cost £850 for a muzac licence (canned,DJ, Karaoke) £1300 for a music licence (live bands) for a pub in 2001, plus safety certificates, solicitors etc. It took us four months to push one through. The audience limit for live bands was 2/3 that of other forms of "entertainment".

TheDuck likes this.

18. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    There's one other aspect I think regarding young people forming bands. Why go through the hassle of getting a band together, keeping it together, finding gigs etc when you can get your music out on the internet from the comfort of your own home and reach millions of potential listeners, rather than a handful in a bar?

Me? I'd love to be in a band :)

19. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    And like most other things in recent times its been twisted, bastardized and run amok.

If you really want to be technical, to the letter of the law, playing a single bad note during a cover song performance negates the law.
    Foolish? Yes, but so is the enforcement of the licensing.

You are correct, and I am in no way saying you're not.
    Im just glad I am out of the "biz".