Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Rock is Dead

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stormy Monday, Oct 26, 2017.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Rock is dope.
    Rock is drivel.
    Rock is....dude.
    Rock is hairy.
    Rock is Hudson.
    Rock is doofus.
    Rock is hip-replacement.
    Rock is.....?

Omar, davidKOS and Stormy Monday like this.

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    That's kind of what I was going to say, too. Sure, I'd also prefer to think in terms of highly talented female performers, but that's often not what we get in the mainstream.

vid1900 likes this.

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I try not to think about this too much.

If rock music isnt popular with young folks.....so what?

Its not like we will ever run out of old folks.

4. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    Pretty interesting

5. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    In my limited and sporadic gigging experience, venues are in business solely to earn money. While some may specialize in a particular genre or two, I would wager the generalists could care less about the style of music and more about the bodies coming through the door and more importantly, drink sales.

Very interesting reminder about royalties. I figured the attitude was that club owners know musicians are anxious to perform, so they can get away with paying bands less.

Regarding the current climate and releasing new original music, some of the issues discussed here may have some bearing:

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/26/56013...e-become-more-like-governments-than-companies

6. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay

You've been waiting since Oct. 4, 2014 to say that, haven't you?

7. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Ah, fezz, waxing poetic?

I'll add one:

Rock is now just another form of music, no longer the #1 "new" hot popular form.
    So now it goes on the musical shelf next to other "dead" styles...like swing and other forms of jazz, ragtime, old-time/Bluegrass/traditional Country and Western, Classical music, various ethnic musics, soul, surf, polka, etc which are still played.

They just are no longer the one the youngest paying audiences prefer nor get the big publicity.

Someday the same thing will happen to the current pop/rap/hip-hop/whatever style when the inevitable musical replacement comes along.

Uh, we DO run out of old folks in the sense that the senior audiences have changed tastes since I began playing professionally.

When I started playing, the older folks wanted to hear Sinatra.

Time passed and I realized the seniors were requesting Elvis, not Frank anymore.

Now the seniors are requesting the Beatles.

Eventually the older audiences will be wanting todays's pop music.

So we will run out of the Rock-loving seniors at some point.

fezz parka and Omar like this.

8. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

Actually Cherry Bomb in 1976 reached 106 on the US Billboard charts and #1 on the Japanese charts. Not being a troll but as a longtime Runaways and memebrs collector I had to mention this...:)

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    vid1900 likes this.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    At some point it wont matter to us. We will be dead and it will be someone elses 1st world non problem.

davidKOS likes this.

10. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    there is no shortage of live rock n roll around here

it's very hard to find it on the radio though, other than stations playing greatest hits

it's cyclical like.....well.....everything.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The last gasps of a dying business model. ASCAP screams about making sure artists “get paid for their intellectual property,” and that would be great if that’s actually how it worked. But if I play Freebird at a bar, does the Van Zandt estate receive a royalty from my performance of it?
    No. There’s no one auditing what’s being played in bars to keep tabs on what and the number of plays to make sure the artist gets paid accordingly; they’re just taking theirs. This is like a mob racket, Guido shows up and says “It’d be a shame for your bar to burn down” and offers to provide “protection.” And so it really doesn’t surprise me that more and more venues are choosing not to play the game, even though it bums me out as I have fewer options to see live music now.

CalicoSkies likes this.

12. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Musicians are invited to submit their actual playlists, so if you really want VanZandt's estate to get their slice, then make sure you do that.

Otherwise, they pay out on averages of what's being played on the radio and jukeboxes, figuring that cover bands roughly mimic the rest of pop culture.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Not understanding of course that people go to see these live bands in part because they’re unhappy with what’s in the radio. So the ASCAP royalties go to current acts (mostly pop or hip-hop these days) at the expense of those being covered in bars (classic rock). Frankly that’s even more messed up.
    As I said, last gasp of a dying business model.

14. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Where I live, there is ONLY classic rock on the radio.

Two terrible classic rock stations (AC/DC then G&R, then Metallica, then Skynard, then repeat) and one rock station that plays 2 current songs and then a moldy oldie (AC/DC, G&R, Steve Miller).

I'd pay money to hear some real black blues, reggae, dubstep or jazz on the radio.

15. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

Recently discovered them. Great sound. Channeling Zeppelin.

16. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

I agree with most of this.

The recording industry is *still* shooting itself in the foot, IMO. Now that they have grudgingly moved toward new technology and allowed their product to be sold digitally online, their packaging and distribution costs have dramatically dropped. But they still charge $10 to $15 for a new album. Then they wonder why pirating still goes on. They have been too greedy for too long.

Charge me $50 a year for a subscription to a streaming service, and maybe 50 cents a song to download what I like, and you've got a customer for life. To me, those prices would create critical mass.

Strats4me likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Subscribe to a satellite service. There are a lot more options.

18. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    I drive the company truck around, so they are not going to let me put a new stereo in it, that's for sure.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    You can get a handheld and plug into the aux jack or radio transmitter. Or just take a battery-powered Bluetooth speaker and play Spotify on it through your phone.

20. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    You like a lot of crazy gadgets, that's for sure. :D