Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Rock is Dead

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stormy Monday, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Just offering suggestions to allow you to have your own tunes in the company truck.

T Guitar Floyd and vid1900 like this.

2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Mr. L . . . you are one very helpful and "with it" young cat to be still sporting that outdated hairdo. :whistling:

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Never give up. Never surrender. Style may change, but the white fro is always majestic.

Dadocaster and T Guitar Floyd like this.

4. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    LOL! That actually made me laugh out loud! :D

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

6. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    My 2 cents: Being creative and trying to make a living from ones creative endeavors is tough. Unlike other forms of “ work”, art, music, theater, etc. are seen by many as almost frivolous ( present company excluded of course). Unlike carpenters, plumbers, electricians, Doctors, etc. who charge by the hour or job, artists and musicians are engaged in making things that involve a great deal of intangibles. How do you charge for creativity and inspiration? Sure there are clear parameters for the price of a downloaded song or a hand made coffee mug but the time, energy, and creativity aspects of such things have to be folded into the final “ product “ and are never the true “cost”. The price people are willing to pay for art and music is based for the most part, on how that music or art enhances their life. Unless a musician or artist becomes famous wherein their work is seen to have monetary value, they are forced to sell their work for far less than its( imho) true cost. Human beings have been making things ( music and art) way before there was a market for it and they will continue to do so because it gives us something beyond the mundaneness of the day to day. Is rock dead? Hell no and it will never be as long as there is someone out there who has something to say.

7. Old_Hippie

Old_Hippie Strat-Talk Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Many good points made in the course of this topic. Sadly, most (or all) are true.

Not many young people in today's 'I gotta have it now, I can pay more' society are dedicated enough to survive the 'long way to the top, if you want to rock 'n roll'. And yea, operating and overhead costs are killing venue owners, along with the ulcers of worrying about lawsuits.

Also, it's sad that artistic talent is being mostly viewed as a means to an end, rather than an end unto itself. I think that is the root cause of not hearing about a great new musician/group as often as we used to in the 60s-90s. ("What? Nearly 200 hours of practice and I'm not as rich or famous as Eric Clapton yet?? - Phooey!")

Most of us keep our dreams private while we battle for survival to keep a family safe and a roof over our heads. Not much time for other things!

8. Old_Hippie

Old_Hippie Strat-Talk Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Copperas Cove, TX
    I just now realized that (a) I just repeated what Moullineaux said, and I didn't see his post before I sent mine; and (b) this conversation is nearly 3 months old. Oy! -lol

9. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not long ago a columnist in the Washington Post wrote a "rock is dead" article, which was followed by lengthy impassioned comments from readers. The responses all generally fell into one of 3 categories:
    1 - This is stupid. Rock and roll is here to stay and will be here forever.
    2 - Rock is dead, and that is a travesty and the end of civilization as we know it.
    3 - Rock is dead, and so what who cares, it has been replaced by other equally relevant forms of music.
    So there are different interpretations. Mine is this: no, rock is not completely dead. There is alot of it all around. But it is past its prime as a cultural force. Ask yourself: who are the current "rock stars"? Don;t name anyone over 50 years old - their day was decades ago. Today's popular music is not rock music. In fact, in most pop music I challenge you to even identify a guitar sound, or sometimes even any actual recognizable musical instrument. To some people, this is mortifying. To others, it's no big deal, rock had its day just had other forms of music before, and now it's time for something new. You could argue the creative potential of guitar-based rock has pretty much been exhausted. When every band who ever made a song in the 70s or 80s is still profiting off reunion tours, I guess you could argue there is not a lot of memorable new rock music being made today. Me, I'm in camp #2 (above). Nothing could ever top Exile on Main Street, or Layla. I suppose you can guess my age....

davidKOS likes this.

10. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA

11. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    fezz parka likes this.

12. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Had a thought while viewing shots of Gibson at CES on Instagram this morning. This seems like as good a thread as any to talk about it.

They have a long row of custom shop guitars hanging like works of art. Given the show they are at (Cunsomer Electronics) and the popularity of electronic music (which I also enjoy), Gibson has inadvertently created what looks like a history museum. I can see someone checking out synths and DJ gear at CES, only to walk by the Gibson display thinking, "Oh yes, this is how they used to make music..."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

13. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    :)

14. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida

Classic rock is pretty popular in Florida, particularly Southern rock....we don't forget.
    You can find bars where the patrons LOVE the classic rock songs (Doobies, Eagles, Doors, ) including the Elks, Moose, VFW, American Legion clubs. A guy I work with has a 4 piece classic rock band and he plays just about every weekend. 80's hair band rock is not so popular for cover bands, but the original players still tour and find an audience :

circles likes this.

15. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

What is 'rock'?

download.jpg

Monkeyboy likes this.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    Yep.

FWIW, it's also a great way for PRO's to find out where the unlicensed venues are.

The bigger the pool, the bigger the pot. Royalties are paid from funds collected from licensed venues, theaters, radio and TV stations. Without those licenses, no one gets paid for the public performance of their work. :)

davidKOS likes this.

17. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I never thought of that, thanks!

fezz parka likes this.

18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    New rock music still abounds.

But white guys trying to play the blues has been pretty much played out, because all 29 of Robert Johnson's songs have each been covered about 50 times.

Today's guitar rock anthems are harder than that hippie rock from the 60s, but you know you can't be a rebel playing your grandfather's music:

^ make sure you watch this one to the end.....lol

19. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talker

May 24, 2017
    USA
    Been dead since Nevermind.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.

People (venues) think they can avoid license fees by allowing "original music only". That's fine for un-published works or songs written by unaffiliated writers. If you or I go in and play originals..we're affiliated. If we submit a set list to our PRO with the date and venue, they'll follow up. The venue will get dinged, and I'm fine with that. :)

davidKOS likes this.