Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

RoHS

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Who Sucks, May 1, 2011.

1. Who Sucks

Who Sucks Strat-Talker

Under the pickups of my squier VM HSS strat, there is a sticker that says RoHS. What does that mean?

2. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Strat-Talker

The Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment 2002/95/EC ( listen (help·info); commonly referred to as the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive or RoHS) was adopted in February 2003 by the European Union.[1] The RoHS directive took effect on 1 July 2006, and is required to be enforced and become law in each member state. This directive restricts the use of six hazardous materials in the manufacture of various types of electronic and electrical equipment. It is closely linked with the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) 2002/96/EC which sets collection, recycling and recovery targets for electrical goods and is part of a legislative initiative to solve the problem of huge amounts of toxic e-waste. In speech, RoHS is often spelled out, or pronounced /ˈrɒs/, /ˈrɒʃ/, /ˈroʊz/, /ˈroʊhɒz/.

3. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

It meant, among other things, no lead in solder, many hi fi companies, for instance started using silver biased products.
    When Cyrus hi fi changed over, for instance, there was a marked improvment in the sound quality.
    I use silver solder when pratting about with wiring, but I do try to use silver plated copper cable.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Strat-Talker

Sorry, you got a less desirable Strat. Everyone knows the Pre-RoHS Strats are the "ones"............

6. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

rosin core lots-o-led solder for me please...
    my understanding is that RoHS compliant solder doesn't hold up well over time and is a ***** to work with. Really? for ****s sake. the list of words you can use will become few than those that are blocked out..