Join Strat-Talk Today

Rosewood Hendrix Strat

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Torren61, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Most Fender fans remember the rosewood Tele that Fender built for George Harrison back in 1969. He used it in the Let It Be movie and rooftop concert. Some folks don't know that Fender built a rosewood Strat for Hendrix as well. It was completed in April of 1970 but they never got it to Hendrix before he died in September of the same year.

Those guitars were prototypes. They made two Teles and two Strats. Rosewood necks and bodies. The Hendrix Strat, or one of them, passed through Chicago Music Exchange and wound up in a private collection probably never to be seen by the general public again. I've emailed them and asked if they have any more pictures but here is the most famous and confirmed legit picture of that guitar.

[​IMG]

Well, I decided to make one. Since I am not a woodworker (I build electric power lines), I bought the neck and body from a builder in Florida.

If you frequent TDPRI, you may have already seen a thread I started on this but if you don't, this may interest you.

I am not going to build a copyright infringement guitar. It's not going to have a Fender or Custom Shop decal but I'm considering having my last name, in Fender "spaghetti logo" font, on the front and "Custom Build" with the chevron on the back of the headstock.

EAllen, johnnymg and Electgumbo like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

The body and neck arrived today. Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall pretty good quality. The body weighs 6.3 lbs and the neck weighs 1.9 lbs for 8.2 lbs total with no hardware.

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Hope your project turns out well...

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Thank you.

Parts have been coming in. I thought it over and decided to install SOME vintage Fender parts for accuracy and SOME modern parts for better quality. For example, I'm using vintage F style tuners. These are from the early 70s and look like this:
    [​IMG]

The bridge is a Callaham with a brass block.

Most everything else is genuine Fender parts with the exception of the back cavity cover. I had to get a reproduction because the current three ply has a long rectangular hole in the back for installing strings but a vintage one from that era has six individual holes for the strings.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Fender Custom Shop did a reissue of this in 2014 (they may have done other reissues from other years but I know they did one in 2014). Personally, I don't think it was as accurate as it SHOULD have been. Now, I haven't seen a build sheet for that guitar so what do I know? I'm going from info collected from one small picture and one interview of the guy who built it.

For example, the Custom Shop reissue has one string tree when the photo shows two. The Custom Shop reissue has a satin poly finish but the guitar in the photo seems to have a glossier finish.

I'm going to shoot this with glossy nitro and it's getting two string trees. I have a camel bone nut blank out of which I'm going make a nut for mine.

6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

7. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

The main thing, to me, is to do a quality job with quality parts. I refuse to do this half-a$$ed.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  8. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Well I would expect nothing but the whole a$$, :whistling:. Looks like it will be awesome to say the least.:D
    (BTW I am very jealous)

9. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

10. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Yeah, I saw that one but forgot to post it and credit you. That's what got me to email CME. They've responded to me automatically and I'm waiting on a human to get back to me. I can't believe they wouldn't have a ton more pictures of that guitar. I know I would if I had it in my possession for even a short time. Thanks!

12. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

I talked to the guy there but didn't ask if they had more pictures. The guitar sold for somewhere in the 6 figure range which was far, far above anything I could afford. Neat looking guitar. I would love to find out why Fender made it a rightie. Notice that even the strap button is on the wrong side for Jimi.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Here's a pretty good article on the guitar Fender made. They made it a "rightie" because that's what Jimi played.

I got an email from CME. Basically, it says they sold the guitar six years ago. They didn't send or offer any pictures. I replied that I would have taken MANY pictures of it if I'd been around that Strat.

I have a hard time believing they don't have a whole lot of shots of it. But, what can you do? I thanked him for his time and that was all.

14. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

WalnutStrat_01.JPG

I bet if he thought you were willing to drop over $100,000 for a guitar he'd have called the buyer and gotten as many photos as you would have wanted.

Can you imagine if Jimi had received that guitar. He would have definitely had to move the strap button and probably have had to reverse the nut.

I'm still envious of that guitar you are building. It's gonna be really special.

Here's a photo of my 'poor man's' approximation (actually a wonderful Japanese 70's Ash model)

Lovnmesomestrat, vid1900 and Torren61 like this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Beautiful!

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  16. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Very nice - I've always loved the Harrison rosewood Tele, and I bought this guitar as a sort of homage to it.

walnut001.jpg

It's actually a Japanese Fender with an ash body and maple neck, but with a matching walnut finish on both.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

That's a sexy guitar. I prefer the black knobs and pup covers over the white ones that Fender chose. Thanks for posting that pic!

18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Looks like a satin finish. The 2014 Custom Shop I saw has a satin poly finish too. https://reverb.com/item/2548871-fen...drix-spec-rosewood-stratocaster-2016-rosewood

I have to do a glossy lacquer finish unless I can get some pics showing the original prototypes were satin finishes. The pic of the guy playing it at CME looks like it has a glossy finish.

[​IMG]

(Thanks tschucha)

And I agree with tschucha, the grain pattern looks identical to the pic of the confirmed Hendrix prototype.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

I just got off the phone with Songbirds Museum in Chattanooga. The fellow there told me of the two prototype rosewood Strats made, one was scrapped and they have the other. He says the finish is a glossy clear coat. So, mine is getting a lacquer finish.

In case anyone wants to visit the museum, the address is 35 Station St.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.