Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Rush

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Feb 10, 2019.

1. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just a passing note to say I'm a huge fan of their work from about Farewell to Kings to about Grace Under Pressure, and have seen them many times during that phase. The kind of music I love to hear, but don't approach to play.

I don't feel the need to ape all my influences, but Lifeson influence does creep into my noodling every now and then. Not a bad thing. This is one of his self admitted most challenging solos.

I see he's all PRS here. Not my favorite tone of this track, but still nice. Variety is good. Good crowd. Better than when we last played at The Blue Moon.

Stark, mikej89, Groovey and 7 others like this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    Farewell to a kings was the first Rush album I ever got. Love those guys.

Stark, Yaralag and circles like this.
  3. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    Great musicians, obviously have made more money than me ....but one band that I just can not listen to....ever...

nutball73, oldrank, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  4. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Thinking man's rock for thinking men. (and the rare woman who can stand Geddy's voice)

Stark, dirocyn, circles and 2 others like this.
  6. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    lol...what's with the laundry? additional percussion?

circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  7. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    They're the band that got me into music. They were all I listened to as I was growing up.

It will be a long time until another trio with this much talent comes around... at least in my opinion.

They're also such great guys. Humble, friendly and you can tell they just love each other's company.

This is my favorite Rush video. It has little to do with music but I get such a kick out of it. Here are 3 insanely talented musician just being dorks and eating dinner. I love it!

WhiteWabbit and circles like this.
  8. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    They're just goofy like that!

Chont and circles like this.
  9. circles

Isn't their theme song Three Blind Mice? I heard it every time I saw them back in the day, they used to play it right before the band came out.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  10. Chont

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yup

upload_2019-2-10_13-32-9.png

RnR Nolan likes this.
  11. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

Discovered them in my junior year in high school with the Permanent Waves album, saw them in Moving Pictures tour and then every tour after that for the next 10-15 years. Almost quit college to become a drummer because of Neil Peart (and paradixically Phil Collins and Stewart Copeland!).

Always loved Alex but now that I’m playing guitar (for only the last 2-3 years) I’m rediscovering Rush by listening more to Alex than Neil and am blown away by Alex. Love his videos in YouTube where he breaks down some iconic songs.

Chont, circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  12. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    I know exactly what you mean by rediscovering them! When I played the drums obviously Neil's playing blew my mind and even Geddy's but I never really was too impressed with Alex.

But now I get it. Now that I play guitar I can fully appreciate his genius!

circles likes this.
  13. Chont

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Rush Discovery...pun intended

I knew Moving Pictures from the 8 Track cassette we had in the house but never anything past or before that. One evening I'm at a buddy's house which was basically a party house, and he puts on 2112 because he was shocked I hadn't heard it before. Right after it starts, everyone at the party ends up leaving abruptly to go fight a bunch of people that were harassing one of the other dudes at the party while he was walking over from a beer run.

I really had no interest in participating wannabe reenactment of the rumble scene from The Outsiders so opted to stay firmly planted in the comforts of the Lazy Boy while I experienced 2112 for the first time. I sat there motionless staring into the darkness with my mind and body numbed in Awe of the sonic beauty entering my brain. When the first 20 minute part finished I was forever changed.

My buddy returned and cracked up at the sight of me having not moved a muscle for the entirety of side 1.

if you have not heard 2112 do yourself a favor and get on it.

Stark, circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  14. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I'm one of the few people who loves Hold Your Fire. Part of it is no doubt due to its close association with some of my favorite high school experiences. But it's great music, regardless, if you give it a chance.

Xanadu is probably my all time favorite Rush song, followed by La Villa and Red Barchetta. I think the live performances on Exit are better than the studio versions. I have something like 10 gigs of Rush bootlegs.

Stark, circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  15. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Which band :) ??? The Rush of 'Rush', 'Caress of Steel' or the Rush of '2112', 'Hemispheres', Permanent Waves' or the Rush of 'Hold Your Fire', 'Clockwork Angels'.
    Very different music. For me they start with '2112' and end with 'Exit....Stage Left'.

Flat Tire, circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  16. Chont

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I love Hold Your Fire. I prefer that to Presto and even Roll the Bones. Counterparts was the greatest thing to happen to my Rush collection since Exit Stage Left though.

Paperback Rocker and RnR Nolan like this.
  17. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    I agree; I think Hold Your Fire is a great album and I don't know why so many people aren't a fan. I think Lock & Key, Prime Mover, Turn The Page, Force 10 and Open Secrets are all fantastic songs...

I am one of the VERY few people who think even Tai Shan is good, haha. :whistling:

circles and Paperback Rocker like this.
  18. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Nice. I'm lukewarm on Tai Shan, but I'd still keep it on the album.

circles and RnR Nolan like this.
  19. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    Fair enough. I'm actually a sucker for Rush's electronic stuff and I like the synths in that song. I also really like the guitar work.

But I can see why many people don't like it. It's not really a Rush song. It's a very weird song for them to have released.

circles likes this.
  20. circles

Have they released a CD of all their instrumental work? I think I'd like that.

RnR Nolan likes this.