Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Rush

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by circles, Feb 10, 2019.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Been a fan for along time. First concert...still have the shirt.

Saw them 3x. Now that the opportunity has ended I probably should have went to a few more shows.

20170221_083547.jpg 20170221_084233.jpg

Stark, RnR Nolan, xland and 1 other person like this.
  2. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    I was too young to see them when they played the music I wanted to hear, and never took the chance later on. Probably one of my biggest musical regrets.

Stark, RnR Nolan and circles like this.
  3. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I remember seeing a couple times, once up in Vancouver.

They played side one of 2112 that time, among other things. Right before the show Geddy came out and said "I hope you've all taken your proper medication!, crowd went nuts. There was a lot of haze in the air, some kind soul passed me half finished herb. Good show.

OK just one last one, a medley fans might recognize bits of:

Stark, RnR Nolan and Paperback Rocker like this.
  4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I think Geddy has one of the best bass sounds.

Stark, RnR Nolan and circles like this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Amazing!

I wish I could take my own passage to Bangkok, but it's not in the cards at the moment.

circles likes this.
  6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

Tone man, tone.

Stark, Sarnodude and circles like this.
  7. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I've had a hard time being a fan. But sooooo many swear by them. I should give them yet another chance? Can so many be wrong?

circles likes this.
  8. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I’ve seen them a few times over the years - still love them. Seems to be an unpopular opinion around here but I don’t mind.

duzie, circles and Paperback Rocker like this.
  9. oldrank

oldrank Strat-Talker

Feb 2, 2017
    mi
    Their sound is similar to nails on a chalkboard to me.

nutball73 and circles like this.
  10. circles

Not everybody likes everything. :thumb: Nor are they currently in heavy rotation in my listening world. But I would not mind seeing them play again, but with them not playing as Rush anymore, guess I won't.

Besides, I'm not into concerts anymore. $150+? Nah. I've seen everyone I wanted to, except for LZ I suppose

Groovey likes this.
  11. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I'm mostly into NPR thesee days anyway.

I've been meaning to explore RUSH for sometime.

circles likes this.
  12. circles

I love Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, the news quiz show, and the jazz and blues stuff they play a lot of around here. Used to listen to Click and Clack, just for the laughs, I never learned anything.

I believe they have a documentary out there - but I would recommend getting in the mood, settle in your seat, dim the light, and put Moving Pictures on. I think they were peaking both in song writing and studio technique. Side one: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight. The drums on Limelight are epic.

s-l1000.jpg

Groovey and Paperback Rocker like this.
  13. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Rush, Fly by Night, (never liked Caress of Steel) 2112, A Farewell to Kings, for me - (Hemispheres was a let down and then i never went back because i was 16 and Talking Heads: 77 reached me and that was the end of that one. )

duzie, Paperback Rocker and circles like this.
  14. Paperback Rocker

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I hate Wait Wait, because they can't go thirty seconds without their personal political biases showing. Click and Clack were great. There is a public radio station in Dallas, 91.7, that is just music, and I've heard many great things on there that I ended up listening to. They play pretty much every genre and on Sunday morning they play a live variety show out of San Fran that is awesome.

circles likes this.
  15. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Back Bay, Massachusetts
    Oh yes, hands down. His tone is incredible.

This is the first video that came to my mind when I read your post...

I can never get my bass to sound that nice no matter what I do.

Stark, circles and Paperback Rocker like this.
  16. circles

I can see not appreciating the bias, that's cool. Really that's what my only little radio is set to, but it's usually only on on weekends. Also the radio in my car shut itself off when it thought it was being stolen a couple years ago, so I don't listen to the radio in the car. You know what - I don't miss it! Oddly enough I have this little wind up powered radio in my car, when I'm sitting at a super long light, I'll wind it up and listen to stuff.

Oh yea, Rush...

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  17. mudshark60

mudshark60 New Member!

Jan 25, 2019
    California
    For me, the golden age of Rush is 2112 to Power Windows. I kinda lost interest until I saw them again on the Time Machine tour. Reaffirmed my Rush-nerdhood.

circles likes this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've been a Rush fan for decades. Geddy Lee's playing was a big part of why I learned to play bass. And I'm especially impressed with his ability to sing while playing those complicated bass lines--a trick I could never figure out. Yeah, I can sing and play eighth notes and change notes once per measure like Sting does. I can sing and play rhythm guitar, I can do the singing/lead question & answer style like a lot of rockers do (only my lead playing has a LOT of room for improvement). Geddy Lee plays these badass complicated bass lines while singing--it's a special skill that not many people have. Geddy and Paul McCartney, I can't think of another.

And I can't say enough good about Alex Lifeson's playing. He holds down rhythm and lead at the same time, like a boss. And Neil Pert, jeez what a drummer.

My wife can't stand Geddy's voice though.

Stark and circles like this.
  19. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I'm not the biggest Rush fan but Limelight is my favorite! It's a beautifully haunting piece and the bridge/outro gets me everytime!

Stark and circles like this.
  20. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    Any RUSH song,,,,,,

Stark likes this.