Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

S/H tele wiring

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by KyStratman, Dec 29, 2017.

1. KyStratman

KyStratman Strat-Talk Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    Mates: I have Seymour Duncan hot tele in the bridge of my warmoth thinline build that I love! The GFS mean P90 isn’t doing it for me. I want to put an SD 59 or Jazz in the neck instead (I’m a big fan of both). I’d like to wire it so the neck is split in the 2 position and yet still hum cancelling with the hot tele. I know HSH strats are often wired this way in the 2 and 4, but seem to recall that I have to match the hot tele pickup with the coil of the humbucker wound the opposite way when split for this to work.

Am I overthinking this? Any advice or better yet a diagram to help this youngin out? Thanks!!

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Not exactly.
    It's all about the magnetic polarities.
    You need to pick the coil that has the opposite magnetic polarity.
    The wires can then be swapped so the electrical signal is in phase.
    Electrically in phase and magnetically out of phase makes a humbucking combination.

3. KyStratman

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    I saw a SD 59 “RP” on reverb, is that what I need?

4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    You should be able to use any humbucker that has access to the junction between the coils.
    The RP may be a better choice if you want a certain coil for the parallel combination, for example the side with the adjustable poles.
    But without knowing the specific magnetic polarities of each coil as well as the pickup to be paired with it might be left to chance.

Do you have a compass ?

5. KyStratman

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    I do have a compass! How do I determine which side would be "noise cancelling" to the bridge single coil?

6. KyStratman

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky

7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Wait, what diagram are you using for this? Do you want a push/pull to split the humbucker in the middle position, or do you want it to auto split?

8. KyStratman

Nov 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    Auto split. I don’t have a diagram but would really appreciate any advice you could give.

9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

You can't auto split it with a regular Tele switch, at least I can't figure out a way to do it. If you had a 3 way super switch, it would be possible. It is also possible with a Schaller MegaSwitch E+.