Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Saw a 20k strat at my local gc

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by amstratnut, Oct 1, 2018.

1. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    I am with you!!!

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Sometimes ugly guitars are cool, like how nasty messed up mangy looking old dogs can be cool, just maybe not 20K cool.

circles and amstratnut like this.

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ok, I swallowed my pride and asked to play the darn thing.

IMG_00531.jpg IMG_00441.jpg IMG_00521.jpg IMG_00481.jpg

circles, Tomas83 and sikoniko like this.

4. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    IMG_00561.jpg IMG_00561.jpg IMG_00511.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    vid1900, circles, smithstrato and 5 others like this.

5. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    What year is it?

6. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.

7. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Thanks for the further investigation and pix! GC nowadays sends the vintage guitars of that quality straight to the vintage wall at the Hollywierd store. It's great to see they kept one in your local store. It looks like a legit '61 to me. What was your impression of it's feel and play-ability?

Strat Jacket, circles and amstratnut like this.

8. MuscularDad

MuscularDad Strat-Talk Member

Feb 22, 2018
    NYC
    How does gc even do authentication? Is it in person or do they just send pics? Anybody know who their authentication is? I've been tempted by some stuff but idk if I can trust gc to do the legwork

9. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

I bought my 60 from GC. All authentication is done by the vintage room in Hollywood (or was when I bought mine). The store taking the item in will have to communicate directly w/ Hollywood and share whatever photo's are requested to authenticate the guitar.

Once the guitar is sold, the buyer has a 72 hour return policy from the time of receipt to their local store with no questions asked. It is expected that the buyer either authenticate prior to purchase or during the return window.

Their return policy makes it a low risk purchase. Some vintage dealers are very difficult to honor returns once the item is sold.

Strat Jacket, circles and amstratnut like this.

10. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2018
    That was my experience as well. I bought my '55 from GC Hollywood. They knew every detail and offered to take it apart - I did that at home and confirmed that it was all original.

franckb, Strat Jacket and circles like this.

11. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I was sure it would be marginal at best but, aside from slightly high action it played and sounded very very good.

I thought the 3 ply mint guard was after market but upon closer inspection, it could have been faded white. The store people said it was all original except frets and back plate. So, they thing pg is original. Pup covers were not as faded or dirty. Pup poles looked un rusted. They sounded great but, I have trouble with the good condition of pickups and pg vs the tuners, neck, body, all being aged.

I could and probably am wrong but, I dont trust gc to get much right. They did say they authenticated it with Hollywood store and took it apart.

There was also a 63 Deluxe there. Brown tolex in almost new condition. They said they got it from the same guy.

I played the guitar through a weird 70s bass amp they had. It sounded really really good.

A sliver face musicmaster. 400 bux. Sounded great but not very loud.

Strat Jacket and circles like this.

12. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Ask @guitar1981 , I think he can share some insight on how GC works. They can be trusted but everybody can make mistakes and a second opinion is never a bad thing.

sikoniko likes this.

13. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    The short answer is: We have a team of people who’s sole job is to verify and price vintage items.

If any vintage item walks into a GC across the country an email is sent to our team to evaluate. The verification process can range from a few basic photos to as many as it takes for us to feel comfortable with the acquisition.

We offer a 72 hour inspection period on all vintage items and will sometimes extend it if a customer requests.

I’m more than happy to answer any specific questions that anyone has. You can ask here, or PM me.

McPhaul and Strat Jacket like this.

14. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Oh man, I bet it had that good 1950's paper tape on the pickups.

TheDudeMan likes this.

15. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

Why did guitar center quit putting their vintage inventory on the website?

16. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    The day I hand over 20k to Guitar Center is the day I end my own life :)

amstratnut likes this.

17. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Very true! This makes theoretical sense, but there is also something about holding a top of the line guitar in your hand, the craftsmanship the materials used and the extras like case and stickers etc and the most cutting edge electronic and attention to detail
    The more you pay the more rare the guitar is and you know no one else has one like yours also, this in Itself has an almost limitless value to it

18. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    We haven’t. It’s all listed online with the exception of items that are on a state or city police hold. Once the hold is up they’ll appear on the site. There’s a tab on the top of the page just for vintage items.

19. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Sorry to hear. Any specific reason why?

Michelotti and Mipstoo like this.

20. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Hey now. Lets not make predictions like that. This guitar was very very nice to play.