Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Saw a 20k strat at my local gc

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by amstratnut, Oct 1, 2018.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Im definitely a member of the diminishing returns club. The 61 was very very nice. My partscaster is almost as nice, albeit, in different ways. If one is gonna spring for a vintage pricy instrument, I think the diminishing returns thinking just doesnt apply.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

people want what they want. If you want a vintage guitar, then you have to pay the price to get one. I always wanted a vintage guitar but I did not start off with one. What I found is that as good as any of the other guitars were that I bought, none of them were vintage guitars.

so I agree, it has nothing to do with diminishing returns. It's more like the 80/20 rule. You spend 20% of your money getting 80% of what you want, and the next 80% of your money to get to 100% of what you want.

circles and Adam Wolfaardt like this.
  3. Bluebird_12

Bluebird_12 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Whether or not you prefer them, nothing else sounds, plays or feels like a nice vintage guitars.

And they all have a story, be it a famous one or just 40 years under someone's bed.

4. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    :)
    No doubt, I’m sure it was. I wouldn’t know what to do with a guitar worth that much in my hands.

5. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Like many, I am not a big fan of the company.

6. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

Are you sure? I have been told on numerous occasions that you guys had bursts for sale in the vintage room and they never went online.

If that is the case, then I guess GC has pivoted away from the vintage business in a big way. It used to be GC had one of the largest inventories of vintage gear in the chain. Now there is hardly anything.

7. guitar1981

guitar1981 Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2015
    Hollywood, Ca
    Positive. Bursts usually don’t go online. Especially, if they’re uncirculated.

We haven’t pivoted away from the vintage business. We’ve changed our philosophy. It used to be more of a museum mentality where we’d have one of everything. Problem with that was it’s not easy finding those guitars these days and it ain’t cheap. To do that you have to pay a ton of money for guitars which means we have to charge a lot. Usually, more than current market. So the response to that from the public is great guitars, but we’re out of our mind with prices. Win/lose really.

We still buy a ton of guitars. The coolest stuff rarely hits the website because we sell it so fast.

Rest assured, we’re still in the vintage biz. If there’s ever anything you’re looking for you can contact me direct with a wishlist. Good stuff doesn’t last. Typically, it take less than 24 hours to move them.

sikoniko likes this.
  8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Interesting. Do you price them to move so quickly? Seems like if you could charge a little more and have them for a week to a month you'd do better margin-wise + have some nice guitars on display for that period of time. I understand not wanting to have guitars sitting in a store for months/years (I was a guitar retailer for 20 years), but it's surely great to have some fine vintage guitars on display this month, and a new round of fine vintage guitars on display next moth. I'd love that as a customer, buying or not :)

9. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Charge more? They gave the poor soul who needed to unload the guitar for some fast cash pennies on the dollar for it. They’ve got less than 10k into that 20k guitar.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  10. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Obviously, they'd give the poor soul more as well :) I'd hope!!

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  11. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You’d be wrong. GC is a glorified pawn shop when it comes to trading/selling gear.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  12. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Care to back that up with some "personal" experience? Or is it just hearsay?

You know the "pics or it didn't happen"? In this case I'd say "stories, or it didn't happen"

T Guitar Floyd likes this.