Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

SCN vs N3 pups, opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by khan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2010
    st.louis
    Okay. Shifting gears from the original plan.
    One of my local shops scored some loaded pickguards off of Deluxe Ams. Can anyone give me comparisons between the SCN's and the N3 pups? The pickguards are identical other than that...even the asking price is the same so, I've played the N3's but have never heard the SCN's before.

Thanks in adavance.

2. hs0504

hs0504 Strat-Talker

Aug 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I don't have N3's but I have SCN's on one strat. Compared with the Standard or Texas Special pu's that are on my other strats they sound very dark. They are totally missing the snappy highs and sound a little compressed. I read somewhere that the N3's do a better job in that aspect.

3. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2010
    st.louis
    I've heard similar. I just have to find an Am Dlx to hear it at least, if not do a side by side.
    Thanks!

4. lindseyp

lindseyp Strat-Talk Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Hampton Roads
    Khan,
    is there any way for you to get both? Since they're pre-loaded you can record yourself, determine which set sounds better and send the other set back.

5. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2010
    st.louis
    I've thought about that. Since I've heard the N3's from current models, I really would just need to hear the SCN's. I don't know if anybody like GC would have AM Dlx's hanging around from a couple of years ago. I didn't have a chance to get out this weekend. I may call around to see if anybody has one sitting around. I had checked out some Strats that had the SCN's in them but never plugged them in. I just played 'em unplugged to hear them acoustically.
    I guess what I'm saying is, I'm being lazy and don't want to switch back and forth and back again but, I'm sure if I asked, the shop I'm dealing with would probably let me do it...or even do it in the shop on one of the used Strats he has hanging up there.
    Thanks, Lindsey. You've got me thinking now.

6. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 8, 2010
    Florida
    I owned the SCN's and had a very hard time getting a bright enough tone out of them. Upgraded to N3's, but my expectations must have been too high, as they sounded almost the same. Eventually was unable to find happiness and went back to a basic high quality single coil, hopefully you'll find them more up your alley that I did.

7. rocklobster

rocklobster Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Australia
    I preferred the SCN's to the N3's. The N3's didn't sound like a strat at all. The SCN's sound more 'strat like' to me. Check this vid out, not sure if he's using S1 switch or what other gear, but sounds really nice.

YouTube - SRV - Little Wing cover

amagras likes this.
  8. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2010
    st.louis
    Well, if nothing else, you guys are proving that there's no definitive answer until I hear them. The SCN's on the clip sound good and definitely have that "bell" tone happening. I'm going to see if I can work out some sort of demo, at least with the SCN's and maybe some sort of A/B with the N3's.
    Thanks for all your help and input. It's been very helpful.

9. anubis

anubis Strat-Talker

Dec 26, 2009
    east coast
    I've had SCN's before and didn't like them. I had better luck with the Yngvie Malmsteen DiMarzios than any noiseless pickup by Fender.

10. guitarmanart

guitarmanart Strat-Talk Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Kitchener, ON, Canada
    I haven't tried the SCN's, but I have N3s in my MIM strat. Quite nice not to have an unwanted humming sound going on. They sound bright and clear to me. It's my first strat and I can really hear the tonal difference between the strat and the other LP humbucker type guitars that I own. Nice to have the choice depending on what mood your in...

11. Fettmajik117

Fettmajik117 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa

I have been able to compare the SCN to the N4s and can offer the opinion that my 04 deluxes have become obsolete for the reasons of lack of clarity in comparison. Haven't tried the N3's tho

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I had N3s in my Am Dlx for about a year. I swapped them out for EMGs, not because the N3s were bad, not at all. I simply prefer EMGs.
    Dont believe it when people say the N3s dont sound "Stratty" or "Vintage", because they certainly can.
    They handle modern higher gain tones very well too.

If you would like to hear mine, in my sig theres a couple of links to my Youtube and Soundcloud, Im playing my N3s an many of those tracks.

By comparison, (in my experience) the SCN sound darker and less responsive than the N3s.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    amagras likes this.
  13. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I have SCN, not a single complaint, I get all the classic tones I want with them. I've tried the N3 at the store and to be upfront I can't really hear any difference, maybe if I compare them side by side I can but that's not really what I'm really interested, of course this is a very superficial point of view for this topic but I would be happy with any of those on my Strat. I would probably choose the ones that sound fatter, that usually translates to sustain.

TheDuck likes this.
  14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    A bit of advice since you are new here. Check the dates of threads. The OP asked this question and this thread went dormant almost 7 years ago. I highly doubt he is still looking for opinions on these pickups. When you bump these old dead threads to the top you slide other (newer and more relevant) threads down and off the recent list.

15. Fettmajik117

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa

Hmm my bad. Was just trying to find someone that might be thinking about the same stuff as me... didn't know the rules here:(

Twang Banger likes this.
  16. Fettmajik117

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa