Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Scratchplate for 89 Samick Squier

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Charlie Cullen, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Charlie Cullen

Charlie Cullen New Member!

Oct 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at changing the pickguard out on my '89 Samick Squier Strat but I'm unsure of what sort of fit to buy. Having looked around online it seems to be an issue with screw placement and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that makes them like this.

IMG_3821.jpg

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Nothing else will fit, the pickup holes are a wider, shorter size and the body and pickguard is shaped different than normal...

The only place would be wdmusic if you did a tracing of your existing one to send them, but it's expensive about $50 or so

3. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    You can buy a blank pickguard square, then clamp you old guard to it.

Using a "pattern router bit", you then will make an exact duplicate.

That is how guitar shops make replacement guards.

Now that your wheels are turning, remember you can use old vinyl records, circuit boards, wood veneer, or just about any thin material as your substrate

zzzzzzzz5675_2_.jpg

4. Charlie Cullen

Charlie Cullen New Member!

Oct 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Cheers guys, out of interest the neck would be completely interchangeable with a different strat body as long as the width is correct, yes?

5. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Strat-O-Master

Jan 30, 2014
    Herne Bay
    I have a lot of experience with this exact model - I heavily modified my own '89 Samick Squier in about 2002. Some notes of caution:

I had to get a custom pickguard cut. As Guitarmageddon said above, no other "off the shelf" pickguard will fit.

You are unlikely to be able to put a standard Fender, or even another Squier neck onto the body. Mine was waaaaay off standard Fender spec. I even bought another one and that was the same. The necks on these Squiers are unique - 12" radius, and wider than Fender Spec at the heel.

Personally the neck is the thing I always liked the most about it, so no big deal to me. But I would at least measure yours at the heel before trying to swap for a Fender, or any other neck.

6. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I have a newer Samick - a 2002. The pick guard holes are way off. I could make another standard pick guard work but I'd have to sand the guard a bit at the bridge and drill new holes in the body for the screw holes, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

The neck on mine did seem to fit in the pocket on an Affinity Squire I have, but it appeared the screw holes didn't line up correctly.

7. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Idaho
    I have a 89 heavily modded I just bought a pickguard on line that lines up all but one hole I’ll be adding it shortly
    THing is a tone monster 80s MIJ elite electronics/pickups with tbx, lace sensor in the bridge bone nut gotoh tuners full size
    Block.

0A9D0951-DF14-43E0-B083-63F780347DA2.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Viking likes this.

8. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I bought a similar era Samick copy, swapped a Fender neck, tremolo and MIA PG in fine.

Not all the holes lined up but the shape was close enough. Found out the hard way that the American vintage tremolo screw holes were different than the import spacing.

Simple wood putty, fill and drill, and all was good. Hardest part was not messing with it for the 24 hours while the putty dried.

And this was a Samick branded Strat copy, from when they were making the MIJ Fenders.