Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Serial # 74550

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Longtailedpie, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Longtailedpie

Longtailedpie New Member!

Nov 23, 2016
    London, UK
    Hi Everyone

When I was 17 years old (in 1974) I bought my first vintage Strat. It was a 1961 Serial # 74550 and cost me £127 - a fortune for me in those days! It was black with a rosewood neck. Anyway, I lost it about 10 years ago (circa 2006) and would love to find it again. I'm in London, UK, so it's probably in England. Anyway, even if its not for sale I'd like to to find out how its doing and where it is. Thanks

Namelyguitar likes this.
  2. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    Crazy you kept the serial number.. But I don't think you'll ever find it unless someone sees this post and comes forward.

3. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Good luck!!!!
    How did you loose it?

4. Longtailedpie

Nov 23, 2016
    London, UK
    Hey I found it! Having some roof repairs done so had to clean out the loft - and I suddenly spotted a guitar case poking out from under a pile of old boxes. I must have put it there when I went on holiday and was paranoid about being burgled. A couple of poor photos attached. Can anyone tell me if the finish is original? As can be seen on the patch of forearm wear, it has a grey undercoat. I can post better pics if required.
    DSCN0006.JPG DSCN0008.JPG

5. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    You just randomly found it again? Ok. That finish does not look original. Undercoat would be white or another color but that looks like a primer, and not a Fender kind. What is the extra hole in the guard for?

Boognish likes this.
  6. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Great Find!! Reminds me of when I was up in my attic and there was this shoe box that I kept on moving around when I was hunting for something. So one day while hunting for something again I said to myself what the hell is in this shoebox I keep on moving around? So I opened it up and here it was my collection of 1956 Topps baseball cards that I thought my MoM threw away years ago! I hadn't seen them in about 30 years!! Every card in near mint condition! So I bought a nice binder to display them and they are one of my prized possessions now. Worth about $3000!!

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well, that's the first time I have ever heard of anyone "finding" a 1961 Strat in the loft. :confused:

I do hope that your loft doesn't get as hot in the summer as mine does. And if it does, I sure hope that the heat hasn't damaged the guitar. I dread to think what an original '61 Strat is worth these days.

8. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

all I find in my loft are squatters and chuds.

I should move to england

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well dang, I looked all over in the loft for my guitar and found out I don't have a loft. Man was that ever a search.

Boognish and LunarSlingShot like this.
  10. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Glad you found it ;)
    Better search your attic and see what else will pop up :D

To answer your question. The finish definitely isn't original.
    If you can post better pictures we can help you evaluate the guitar, but if it cost you £127, you still have a good return on investment...

It's also quite rare that the knobs didn't age the same, so I'd assume that one has been replaced.
    The pickguard is also a questionmark but pictures aren't good enough to evaluate.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Not original finish, I agree. Appears to be a later pickguard, with the screw hole closer to the middle pickup, but another hole drilled in the pickguard to match the original hole in the body. That's my best guess.

As for forgetting you left your 61 strat in the loft? :eek::confused:

12. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    Interesting about the differently aged knobs. Here's a pic of my 74 knobs. The previous owner removed the volume knob (presumably to avoid knocking it back by accident). It was off the guitar for 25 years. I inherited it recently and had it restored, the original pot was in the case too:D. So the pots are differently aged.

The obvious difference with the OPs example is that it's less likely that the volume knob might have been the one to be mothballed.

Hope this doesn't confuse things:eek:. 20180712_230023.jpg

13. CarbonCanyon

CarbonCanyon Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Mt. Rainier
    This whole thing confuses me. :confused:

Nice looking git though. Sell it before the market nosedives.

Boognish likes this.
  14. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Found it.....pfft.....GTFO!!!!!!!!!!

15. Silverstrat69

Silverstrat69 Strat-Talker

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Damn I'm lucky if I find some pocket change under the couch. This guy finds a 61 strat that he somehow forgot about having?

franckb likes this.
  16. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Cool thread, great story!
    Did the heat do any obvious damage?

17. Longtailedpie

Nov 23, 2016
    London, UK
    I replaced the pickguard when I was still gigging this guitar (I still have the original but it had shrunk so much and cracked by the top pup causing it to lift and move the top pup too far towards the strings thus causing ghost notes). I ordered the wrong pickguard as a replacement, hence the extra hole! Eventually it became too valuable to take to gigs (we only do local pubs and festivals) so I built a replacement from Ebay parts for gigging (they were still relatively cheap in those days) using a "71 body and a "76 maple neck with Fralin pups and a reverse treble pup routed a la Jimi (there's a youtube clip of this replacement Strat guitar at ). It turned out that I preferred the replacement (heresy!) due to the jumbo frets, maple neck sound, reverse slant treble pup, and Fralin Blues Special pups. So the '61 was consigned to it's case and when it went in the loft I didn't even think about using it for a couple of years - and then when I did decide to try it again one day I'd totally forgotten what I'd done with it (I did look in the loft but evidently I'd hidden it too well! (that's just an excuse for having a head like a sieve)). Anyway, I'll post further quality pics when I get round to it and do a youtube video of how it sounds. Interesting about the finish - it was already substantially worn when I bought it in 1974 so it had been heavily used since the refin, and of course it was only 13 years old then.

audiosway, Michelotti and Bazz Jass like this.