Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

serial number search

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by carver, Aug 15, 2011.

1. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Looking to find out more about your fender??
    The Guitar Dater Project - Fender Serial Number Decoder
    Enter in your serial number and the country of origin and find out where and when your guitar was made, also find a little description of the shops history.
    personally i find this tool to be pretty interesting.

Have fun with it, and if this tread exists and i couldnt find it with a search, feel free to delete or move it to the section best suited :p

now on with the fun :twisted:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. MayerFan

MayerFan Strat-O-Master

It doesn't work with my Limited Edition fenders :(

3. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

the guitar dater project is a joke. if you have a basic knowledge of serial numbers you know as much as it does.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jfernan

Jfernan Senior Stratmaster

Agree but at least you can tell if your serial numbers are legit

6. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

7. carver

humm thank you for your input and amazing insight,.....
    what about the people that dont know any better and are interested in looking up to see if they are being sold the true thing or not?
    sure they can use fenders website as pointed out gracefully by another member, or they could use the dater project, ive seen on plenty of web sites where people bicker over the way to "properly read" a serial number, and this tool seems to help you do some research into what youve heard.
    If i had submitted the idea that this was a tell all only source with the best information available to human eyes and hands, then sure, the retoric would be a welcome push in the right direction.
    i found this to be interesting. so if human kind has shown me anything, there are others that will find this interesting, and others that will crap talk all over it

8. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Not really. It doesn't recognize a lot of legit serial numbers and it also recognize serial numbers that are on fake guitars for instance. Off off the top of my head I could make a serial and I bet it would come out legit.

MN645230

9. carver

i'll just stick to playing.
    instead of researching.
    :D

Attached Files:

• dh.jpg
      dh.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a decently reliable tool to find serial numbers.

11. Steve365

Steve365 Strat-O-Master

It only gives the year; it won't tell you if it's a real serial or not.
    For example if you type in Z9 and any six numbers it just tells you it's 2009. That's pretty much common knowledge anyway.
    There are way better sources than that. I saw this a long time ago, and dismissed it pretty quickly.

12. Steve365

Steve365 Strat-O-Master

Here's a more knowledgeable site:

Fender Telecaster Guitar Discussion Forum

13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

And what is common knowledge to us is not so common to a person who isn't a guitar nut. I used it to date my brother's MIM squier from '94, before I knew how simple the numbering system was. It works just fine for those kinds of applications.

And as to if it is a real number or not: all somebody has to do is go to guitar Center and look at the serial and copy off of it. Wouldn't be too hard to get a real number on a fake guitar.

14. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

With all the fake epiphones, that site says they are legit. I wouldn't trust that site for anything serious.

15. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

the guitar dater project tells you no more than just looking at the fender support page that discusses dating a guitar

16. jazzrock71

jazzrock71 New Member!

Hi all, I have a Fender stratocaster and with the serial number I discovered that it was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987.

What more can I know?
    Which "model" is? American stratocaster (for example) ? or what else?
    It has 3 single coil (I changed the bridge one) , Kahler bridge, whammy bar without the white plastic (it's similar to Floyd Rose)

And, I don't know why, it wheight a lot!

17. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

It's probably one of the Contemporary series. Why don't you start a new thread (since this one is over 3 years old and is about the Guitar Dater Project website) with photos and we'll let you know which model we think it is.

18. keith harvey

keith harvey New Member!

malmsteen strat serial no prob

hi guys does fender have a 7 digit serial no just saw one recently SN6XXXXXX is there a no like this thanks

19. Rockape

Rockape Senior Stratmaster

Even the well known MIJ data gets the 3rd and 4th prefixes the wrong way round.
    Otherwise it is fairly reliable.
    As Fender USA have no recorded FJ serial number data prior to 1993, one wonders where this 'official' information came from?

'A' prefixed guitars pre-date the 'E' serial numbers, by neck date (A = late 1984 start.... October to be precise).

20. CT Sean

CT Sean Strat-Talker

21. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Fender used to use extra prefix letters on some series - they used the "S" in front of the "normal" 2-character year code on Artist series guitars, and they used a "D" in front of the 2-character year code on American Deluxe models. However, they stopped doing this in 2010 when they changed their serial number formats.

So an "SN6xxxxxx" serial number would be for an Artist Series model made roughly during 1996 (per the "N6" part). Of course there are overlaps, but it seem like during the period from about 1995 through 2009 the "annual serial number changeover" for USA instruments happened in January of any given year. Now the annual "serial number changeover" seems to happen in March of a given year - Fender used 2 different formats in 2010, settling on their current "USYYxxxxxx" format in April of 2010 (with "US10xxxxxx" as the April 2010-March 2011 format, etc.).

On MIM Artist Models like the Jimmie Vaughan you used to see serial numbers like "SMZ1xxxxxx" for a 2001-2002 model - "S" for "Artist Series", "M" for "Made in Mexico", and "Z1" for "2001". Plus on the MIMs the serial numbers seem to do their "changeovers" in June/July of a given year. In July 2010 the MIMs went to a similar format to the USA models - they began using an "MX10xxxxxx" format and stopped putting that extra "S" on the MIM Artist models.

And this is why people have fallen out of using sites like Guitar Dater Project - it won't recognize any legitimate Fender serial number after 2009. Plus all it does is tell you that the format is what any company used; you still have to contact the manufacturer (Fender, Gibson, etc.) for a verification of the instrument. Some of the fakers out there do use legit serial number formats so they pass the serial number search test.