Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Setting up for skype lesson

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Johnny Danger, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Ok, so this isn't exactly recording, but I thought this might be a good forum to ask this question.

I'm getting a skype lesson from a monster player and I've never actually done something like this on a computer before. I have done work conferences so I know right away that I am going to need headphones to avoid feedback. But I guess I'm paranoid about my sound input.

Is the mic on the camera probably sufficient for voice and amp pickup? Or should I find a way to pipe sound directly into the computer and mix the two? It doesn't need to sound pro, just well enough to not cause feedback on either end.

My main amp is an HRD, so no outputs of any kind on it. I have a Fender Acoustic 200 amp that has a headphone out. It would be a passable solution to patch in sound. Then the webcam could pick up voice.

2. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I almost forgot I had you scheduled ;)

It depends on the camera. Mic quality is all over the place... what cam do you have?

Namelyguitar likes this.
  3. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    I don't exactly have one yet. I may be prematurely freaking out. I thought the lesson was like a week and a half from now, but I double checked and it's actually like a month from now.

I thought about it some more and I realized my acoustic amp has two channels and a USB out to go into a computer. The manual says it's for recording, but I don't see why you couldn't use it as an input. I guess I could still use the headphone out and use an aux cable to plug it into the mic input?

I could borrow a good mic (SM58 or whatever) and plug that into one channel on the amp. So I think I have this more covered than I realized minus a decent cam.

4. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    What he said. My preference was a name brand camera for PC w/ HD quality.

5. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Ok, so now I'm overthinking it a bit because it is heading towards the day I might want to actually record something.

Would it be insane to set the two channels on my acoustic amp flat and just use two mics, one for voice and one for miking an amp as long as it's not too close?

Or am I just getting to the point that something like the Scarlett 2i2 makes more sense?

6. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    More important is making sure you have a decent connection so you get all the quality of even a basic rig. It you’re doing it WIFI from a distant room, your quality of gear won’t mean a thing. Solid Ethernet connection and a good bandwidth account make for the best sessions.

rgbedard likes this.