Join Strat-Talk Today

Setup for an Apartment

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by charby, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Slawts

Slawts Strat-Talk Member

I have 2 amps a Blackstar HT5R and a Vox VT20. The Vox is fine for a flat and sounds great. It has a headphone socket and Aux in. The Blackstar was demoed at the same time as a Fender Bassbreaker 007, 5 and 7 watts respectively. They are both too loud for a flat. I use the Blackstar in a house and don't have it above 11 o'clock. The Vox I keep for the flat. Buy the AmPro. You will have it forever.

2. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Man, I don't know how you guys do it! I've never really had to worry about volume, only when the kids were little. And now that they're all grown and living on their own, me and 11 get along just fine!

And for the record, haters are gonna hate! Play it LOUD! My house is surrounded by 5 acres of dense spruce trees and the neighbors still complain about the free music. :D

[​IMG]

Miotch, charby, spizike231 and 3 others like this.
  3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I live in a third floor condo. In one room I run two 40 watt Blackstar amps in stereo

In the other room there's a twenty watt Blackstar in stereo with a Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36 watt amp. Neighbors are fine with it. Your secret weapon is the master volume knob. Get one one those if you dont already have one

spizike231 and arcticstrat like this.
  4. Stratoman10

I have the 36. They are great amps

Cerb likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

I used to own the 18, the 36 must be a beast!

6. Stratoman10

It is. Also has some features the 18 doesn't Can't quote them off the top of my head but remember there are a few small differences

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

Yes. I think a separate EQ section for the drive channel and also reverb if I'm not mistaken?

8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I just got an Orange Micro terror. It was a hundred bucks for the 1 x 8 speaker enclosure, and I got the head for 85 bucks, used from a guy on TDPRI. It will be here in a week. I’ve been using the cab with my Mesa Boogie Mark V 25, set on 10 watts. It is quiet. It should be really quiet with the orange head. But I’ll let you know.

charby likes this.
  9. Stratoman10

Yep, there's reverb. That is a must for me. The drive and crunch share the tone controls but have seperate gain and master volume. The clean side is self contained

charby and Cerb like this.
  10. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I have a blues jr NOS living in an apartment.

It’s not bad at all, and it makes it especially fun when I get to gig or practice elsewhere to really crank my amp confidently and see what it can do since I get used to having it tamed at home.

Everyone’s different, I like having the horse power of the blues jr at my disposal.. I upgraded from a solid state amp.

charby and arcticstrat like this.
  11. Cerb

Ah yes. The 18 only has one EQ section that is shared between both channels. There's no crunch channel but a boost. So, clean, drive and boost.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    charby likes this.
  12. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Preamp with speaker emulation, plugged into good computer speakers or a powered studio monitor.

The preamp gives you the sound of an amp, and the full range speaker(s) reproduce it at whatever volume.

charby likes this.
  13. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I have owned a THR10c for about 4 years. For apartment use, I don't think it can be beat. I highly recommend it. At about $300, some say it's pricey, but I didn't/don't think so.
    Great tone, low volume, highly portable, headphone jack, aux input... nice features.
    If you go this route, explore and use the editing software. You can really dial in some nice tones and get a little more volume out of it.

charby likes this.
  14. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

a better feeling guitar will make you want to play it more.... Get the AM pro and download SGear and play through either headphone or a powered speaker...

charby likes this.
  15. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Get the American Professional, a guitar you LOVE is a priceless lifetime purchase. Great amps can be had really cheaply used.

charby likes this.
  16. charby

charby Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

Looks like I'm going to use my budget on a guitar, but I'm going to take my time and find the right one. For all I know it could be a MIM, depends what feels right. For the time being, I'm going to play through an audio interface into my computer and use headphones. I'll also be looking into a Yamaha THR10c in the near future.

Appreciate the help on this :)

spizike231 and brians like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.