Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Seymor Duncan California 50s single coil

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Kstu, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Does anyone use these that could let me know what they think and describe ? I have duncans in two guitars now but are humbuckers. A jb/jazz in my 80s sg eppy and the sh14 and sh2 in my ltd ec 1000. I am extremely happy with them.

These will be for my mim strat. I been researching a few months now and didn't see the Duncan 50s till just now on reverb. I absolutely do not enjoy the stock pups anymore to the point i have been playing my classic vibe 50s and 60s strats.

2. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

This is a special SSL-1 set, which is the classic clean and clear 50s set. Think of the late 50s and a Strat...Buddy Holly, etc. Cutting high end, with a piano like lows. Great for non-master volume amps, too.

3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    The SSL-1's have been around since the late 70's /early 80's. I think they rebranded it as the "California 50's set" to give the product a new coat of wax, so to speak.

Fender has used a fairly similar electrical values in their stock pickups continuously since the 50's, so the SSL-1s will make a sound like Strats have always sounded. Even though they weren't using turn counters in the 50's, the bobbin size has remained about the same the whole time, so a degree of consistency arose from the physical limitations of the bobbin itself.

What makes the SSL-1's 50's-ish is not the sound they produce as much as how they look and feel, they use black fiber bobbins instead of gray ones like they did in the 60's, or plastic like they did in 80's until the 2000's, when they went back to 50's style black fiber board. Once you put the plastic covers over them, nobody can tell the difference anyway.

The SSL-1's are priced pretty well, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. The pickups in your CV's can be bought aftermarket as "Toneriders", although I don't recall off the top of my head which model is used for the CV 50 and CV 60.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

4. lineboat

lineboat Strat-O-Master

Aug 5, 2013
    western ky
    I like and use the SSL-1’s. I prefer them in neck and middle with an SSL-5 in the bridge for more bite. They’re very classic Strat sounding, sound good with pedals, and work good as an all around pickup.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    SSL-1s are great. I have used them in several Strats & a couple of Teles & they are consistently good. To me they are the industry standard for vintage type Strat pickups - I even prefer them to the much loved Fender 57/62s.

6. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Thank you everyone this is great information and educational as well. They're priced really well for me.

As for the toneriders I have to say like the 60s more but I find the 50s to be a flat eq type sound where you get a natural sound of the guitar and amp if that makes sense. Maybe because alnico 3. I like them both but 60s tip the scale a little. The feel of the guitars alone are excellent and I wont change a thing until /if something breaks.

The mim strat though after a while of playing and when i picked up my cv's I realized how unhappy with those pups I was.

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy
    Would you please so nice to post a link to these products?

I've tried several times on the website to no avail.

Pretty please?

8. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal

9. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thank you for trying, although the TWO products mentioned (Classic Clean and Clear 50s) are NOT it.

PS: Never mind. My aging, ricovering-from-the-Christmas-party, pea brain didn't interpret the prose as it should've done.

Man, I'm oooooooooooold...!!!!!!!!!

10. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    You either didn't understand what he wrote or are just trolling. 'Classic clean' and 'clear 50s' aren't set names. They are adjectives.

The name of the set with SSL1s is California 50s.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If the SSL-1s & the California 50s set are the same pickups, this thread is clear proof that having two different names for one product simply confuses the customers. Not a good business move - decide on a name & stick to it.

12. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    It's like the Everything Axe set = Little 59 + Duckbucker + JB Jr

California 50s set = SSL1n + SSL1m rwrp + SSL1b

There is also the Mahyem set or something among those lines which is SH6n + SH6b.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So just call them SSL-1s if that's what they are. They don't need a separate name as well.

14. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    Agreed. The same with the SH6 set.

Maybe it's just to have a name that the normal person can understand, instead of some letters and a number?

15. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    SSL-1 sounds professional. It's all the names that are goofy. Imagine if I sold 250k pots and 500k pots, and instead of calling them by their values, like "A500K", I called the 250k "the Opium Cloud" and the 500k "the Hunting Knife". Push a trend just a little farther, and you can see the absurdity for what it is.

The same sort of thing has happened with effects pedals, they used to be called things like "Overdrive" and "Overdrive II", now they're called "Soul Food" or "MojoMojo". Usually things get better with progress, but in the electrical guitar realm, some things seem to be getting worse and worse. At some point we're going to hit a singularity and the whole thing is going to poof into a beautiful rainbow.

lineboat likes this.

16. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Well I just ordered SSL1 neck and middle. SSL5 bridge. Amazon had it bundled together as a three for. Cost me $80 with some gift cards I had. Cant wait!

17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    SSL-1s are great. I've had a set of them in two different Strats and a set of Antiquity Surfers in another. I've currently got an SSL-1 on order I'm putting in the neck position of my latest Strat, an SSL-1 rwrp for the middle, and one Antiquity Surfer Custom for the bridge!

18. lineboat

lineboat Strat-O-Master

Aug 5, 2013
    western ky
    I think you’ll be happy with that. I’m seriously considering a second set in my AVRI!

19. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    my middle ssl is the reverse wound as well. I was going to get those surf ones. antiuque is it? I have a few strats all have stock pups I'm not crazy about except my early mim model. I guess I find the older stock pups sound better than todays in the standards. I swear they're not as hot and a bit brighter. The workmanship is shody on it and has a considerable gap in the neck pocket but it plays and sounds really well.

20. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

They are the Antiquity II Surfers. They sound a little more like early 60s pickups, with less of a cutting high end. Delicious.