Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Seymour Duncan Stacked Question

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by oldschool, Dec 25, 2017.

1. oldschool

oldschool Strat-Talk Member

May 9, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Happy holidays all!

I acquired an STK-S6 stacked pickup that I've loaded in the bridge slot of a parts caster I'm putting together. Looking at the various diagrams, many seem to contradict each other where this pickup is concerned. Some show black as hot, some show white. Some have the white & red connected. I've also seen when mixing an SD Stack with Fender pick ups (what I'm doing) wiring may be reversed. While the SD site is very helpful, I never did see a diagram for the SD/Fender combo of pickups.

I currently have it wired with black to the 5 way switch, white and ground to the pot and red taped off. Seemed to work but the pickup didn't seem to be hot as a 14K should be. I didn't get any instructions for the pickup and thought I'd run it by the forum experts.

Thanks in advance! JM

2. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    Should work. Try to reverse black and white and check if it sounds the same volume.

3. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy
    The Duncan color code is the following:
    Green = start south coil = ground
    Red= finish of south coil
    Black = start of North coil = output
    White = finish of North coil

So, green is ground, black is hot, red and white are meant to be connected together and isolated front all other connections. Connecting white to ground makes only the south coil functioning.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

4. oldschool

May 9, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the assist.

5. metale

metale Strat-Talker

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    Good luck finding the green wire.

6. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2013
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Right! You're absolutely correct, thank you for the heads up, I forgot about this detail.

In the case of the STKs, the shield or bare wire replaces of the green wire, used in SH HBs; the rest stays the same but, to use the same nomenclature Duncan uses in their STK p'ups, the code goes like this:

Bare wire: Start top coil
    Red: finish of top coil
    Black: start of bottom coil
    Whte: finish of bottom coil

HTH,

8. oldschool

May 9, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeeup! Had that one figured out from the get go. Wired correctly, buttoned up and headed for a nut slotting on the new neck and a full set up. Can't wait to plug her in! Photos on the way once she's done. Thanks again gents.