Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Should I Trade? '02 Jag-Stang for 2011 PRS SE Santana Quilted?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by medicchief, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:23 AM.

1. medicchief

medicchief Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    I had my '02 Jag-Stang (with OHSC, which is uncommon) listed on CL for $700, or trade for an American Strat or Tele. I now have an offer to trade straight across for this PRS SE: PRS SE Santana Amber Quilt | Jerry's Gear Exchange It's not your average PRS SE and it's very tempting, but I'm on the fence. My Jag-Stang has a ding on the bottom lower inside edge of the body, other than that it's in good condition. Check the Santana out in the link and here's my Jag-Stang. I welcome any input/opinions.
    IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1488.jpg IMG_1491.jpg IMG_1487.jpg IMG_1486.jpg

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. CarbonCanyon

CarbonCanyon Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Mt. Rainier
    I would do it myself.
    I'm not a big PRS guy, although I like some of their S2 offerings.

But there's something about the Santanas that have always spoke to me. I think it's the body shape.

Carlos Santana is a monster though and those SE offerings are high quality gits.

But what do YOU want? :)

abnormaltoy and medicchief like this.

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow this is tough one:thumbd:

I would keep the Fender but my opinion on this means absolutely nada as i have never played a PRS guitar or a Fender Jag-Stang

medicchief likes this.

4. medicchief

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks for your comments! This Santana is supposed to be a special design with the same PRS body template as what he plays. Also, I can't hardly find any with the quilted top like this one has either. Everything I see is flamed.....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:02 AM

5. medicchief

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    The Fender is a better investment, especially with the original HSC (original case seen up to $200 alone on Ebay), but I'm just not feeling it.....I've got plenty of Strats, but still GASsing for an American Tele. I had an early PRS SE and it was a nice player, so IDK...:thumbd: Maybe someone here would trade a Tele for my J-S.....lol.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:09 AM
    mshivy and The-Kid like this.

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    One of those PRS models just sold on ebay for $549. I'd keep the JS if it was me or wait for a Tele offer.

7. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2017
    The Heartland
    I see Santanas on my local CL all the time (admittedly, they are all flamed. That's the first quilted I've seen.). But in 8 years, I have not seen a single Jag-Stang listing. That could mean that Jag-Stangs are less common, or that people who get them hold onto them, or that people are more willing to part with their Santanas ...

As @Lonn points out, there aren't many sales available to compare, but a quick search of the ebay sold listings does not seem to support the $700 price tag on the PRS. A similar search supports your asking price for the Jag-Stang.

mshivy and medicchief like this.

8. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia

9. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talk Member

Feb 14, 2018
    North Carolina
    Keep the jag stang. SEs are always around. Jag Stangs are hard to come by.

mshivy and medicchief like this.

10. medicchief

Feb 10, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks y'all! My gut feeling is to keep the JS as well and hold off for what I really want. If I go against my gut feeling, I usually have buyer's remorse!

11. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    Don't I have had 4 SE's and just sold my last one a couple of months ago. I never had a Santana but everyone of them sounded the same and I had three different models. They are very well built but to ME they lack any personality. My other issue was the neck, it was either to fat or to thin on the different models and never felt good they come in wide-thin or wide-fat. 2 of them had Trems and to stop tails and they sounded the same.

medicchief and 98bigapple like this.

12. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    I own the twin to your Jag-Stang....a 1996 model in my left handedness...

20180526_125014.jpg

It came with the silly P/G that is on it for now....I just received a correct P/G yesterday, so it will soon be back to original...

Just my opinion, but like others have stated, I would hang on to it....but only if you are ok with the shorter scale...

medicchief likes this.

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah...

Money wise....value wise....

Its just not a smart move. Nicest way of putting it here.

medicchief likes this.

14. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talk Member

Feb 14, 2018
    North Carolina
    @pwhite I totally agree. I has an SE custom 22. Well built, stayed in tune but very bland. It 2as hard to get excited about playing it. A couple years later, however I got a chance to own the real deal, a 1995 USA custom 22 10 top. Still have it. I know there is a vast difference in the price of those two but my point is that for SE money there are a lot of other great guitars to get excited about.

medicchief likes this.

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Financially it might not be a great deal, but I never really developed a liking for any short scale fender besides Jags themselves. If you will play and love the PRS.. and you don’t love the jag Stang (I think they look silly, really)

Then it is a good trade you’ll never regret.

I’ve got a fender cyclone HS MIM which is fairly close to a jag Stang, it’s a rare and interesting guitar, but never was and never will likely be a favorite of mine.

Unless something is quite valuable, and the price difference is significant, I’d go for the guitar that you like most, and will play most. If you believe that your guitar is worth more, you can ask for some more on top of the trade.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    medicchief likes this.

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I think it's about the commonality, like you said. Not very many Jag Stangs out there, really not too many shortscale Fenders on the used market at all. I rarely see Jags or Mustangs, either. And there was a time that I was scouring the internet for used Jags. Seems like Fender is finally getting on board for the demand of the short scale guitars.

I've never been all that thrilled with PRSs by looks alone, never really gave them any playing time, either, though. Seem like your run of the mill 2HB guitars to me, and my LPs and hollowbodies seem to cover that territory for me, already.

I'm not all that keen on either of the guitars in this conversation, but if forced to pick one as a workhorse, probably would be the PRS.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    medicchief and Nadnitram like this.

17. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

18. R00STER

R00STER Strat-Talker

Nov 21, 2016
    US
    I would do it just to get that Fender out of my sight. That could be the ugliest guitar I've ever seen. lol No offense/disrespect of course. :)

nickmsmith and medicchief like this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

The PRS SEs with 'bland pickups' only need a cap or volume pot change for a different one in the tolerance band and they get a lot better. Keep mind that early Santana models have flat top bodies and the 'slash' fret markers and newer ones have the beveled or arch 3D carve to them with birds or dots and are an upgrade (people that may have only played the old ones will have a lower opinion of SEs).

I have a flame Santana with birds that I got a few years back for $350 but they've moved up to the $450ish+ range. Counter the swap for $200 cash on top or keep the guitar, sell it for your price, and then do a search for the PRS SE you want. I assume you have more than one guitar currently so the gap between selling the Fender to buying the PRS won't cramp your playing.

medicchief likes this.

20. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    If it was me in your shoes I think I would trade.

medicchief likes this.