Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Should I?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Achyskic, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    I recently picked a 2 yr old 65 drri. I was originally going to either buy a silverface DR or build a p2p clone. I got a great deal on this so I couldn’t turn it down. My question is should I get a mojotone small parts kit and rewire this amp. If I do I will still be in the price range of what these bring used with PCb board. I really would like to have a hand wired version DR. Should I leave it alone or hand wire it? I know some say it won’t change the sound, but I really find that hard to believe if good parts are used.

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    IMO............ modifying that amp would be a huge mistake. It is what it is. Let it be.

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    Not worth it IMO. DRRI is a great amp already.

93-Strat and Triple Jim like this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    Spend money on a Red Fang. Bias it a little hotter than stock. Everything else is fine.

carver and Stratoskater like this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    You will hear zero difference by handwiring that thing, in my humble opinion.

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    It is what it is. I'd leave it alone as you likely won't hear a difference.

93-Strat, Triple Jim and Stratoskater like this.
  7. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks I’ll just leave it as is. It’s had some nice upgrades already to it tobslow the tremolo, take the fizz out of the normal channel and some nice NOS preamp tubes. I think I’ll just put some good 6v6 in and call it a day. Are Tung Sols good or should I look into NOS 6v6?

93-Strat and Paperback Rocker like this.
  8. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    At the voltages they run at, I'd only trust JJ's.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    speakers are the best way to change/tweak your amps sound imo.

johnnymg and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    It really depends on your electronics skill level, and your ability to work around high voltages.
    Do you suspect that the amp does not have good parts in it ?
    Logic dictates that if good parts are in it, and you replace those with good parts (of the same values), the sound will not change.

Real US made Tung Sols are Great !
    Modern Russian produced "Tung Sols" are a slight variation of rebranded EH/Sovtek tubes.
    They are not as consistent or durable as the real thing.
    It's why they undergo burn in and weeding out by the more reputable sellers.

NOS and "good used" US made tubes such as Tung Sol, RCA, GE and Sylvania/Philips/ECG tubes are still out there in dwindling supplies and rising prices.
    What tubes are in it now, and what are you attempting to accomplish by swapping ?

If durability is your goal, JJs.
    If "tone" is what you seek ... good luck on your journey. :)

93-Strat likes this.
  11. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    A few years ago I changed over a circuit board type reissue superreverb with a Mojotone kit the owner bought and it was a very worthwhile up grade!
    There's a lot of tone sucking stray uf on that circuit board and the wire layout off of the tube sockets can be improved upon with the mod.

The kits normal full size pots last longer and can be cleaned and lubed with ease, unlike the stockers that need to be unsoldered from a flimsy traced circuit board!
    The face plate does need to be drilled out for the new pots, but that's a 5 minute job.

93-Strat and Achyskic like this.
  12. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    This was my school of thought as well, but the census seems to be against it.

93-Strat likes this.
  13. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Stock fender GT tubes in it now. I don’t know who makes them. I know by putting NOS GE tubes in the preamp really helped tone wishbI figure better 6v6 would sound better.

14. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    I would wait at least until it needs a recap so that you can justify the repair, until then I'd just play it.

15. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    It would better from a durability and simplicity standpoint but as I mentioned it would be best to wait til it needs a recap and do the project as a complete overhaul.

16. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    How long will it be before a new drri needs a recap?
    My guess is many years.

I don't think a recap is a factor to consider here. Either he wants the upgrade of a full ptp layout and decent parts or he does not.

And as some have said it is a clear tone difference

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

17. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    If you can do it (and you apparently have the skills) I say hand wire it! I had George Alessandro hand wire my Fender Silverface '68 Custom. PRICY! And even more pricey now! I feel they are more durable, easier to service and possibly sound better. All of which is subjective, but still my opinions.

However, I've had 2 DRRI's and an HR DeVille that I gigged incessantly and never had a lick of trouble with...so I wonder just how much 'more' durable PTP is. And on Mesa's...shoot- that's military spec PCB!

Best wishes! IF I had the skills I'd by one and try it myself...

Brian

18. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    It could take a while but my point was if it wasn't broken, don't fix it. Until it was broken and then fix it all the way.

19. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Buy a Weber kit and build your own from the ground up.

rolandson and 93-Strat like this.
  20. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    I was going to go that route, however I got such a good deal on this one I can buy a mojotone small parts kit, handwire this it and still have less than a Weber kit and have a lot of spare parts and pcb boards left over to sell.