Join Strat-Talk Today

~Sigil Pickups~ The story of Tone

Discussion in 'Guitar Parts Vendors' started by CheopisIV, May 17, 2018.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Strat-Talk Member

I've been winding since 2014 but messing with pickups since ~1998. My first set of aftermarkets were Dimarzio Fred and The Breed in my 1980 Univox Deluxe (Les Paul clone). I was a huge Vai and Satriani fan back then and that pawnshop special didn't sound good in any way...so it only made sense!

[​IMG]

The swap went terrible, mostly because I was soldering with a full size plumbers/industrial soldering gun and trying to hook up some tiny microswitches for more options, but I eventually got them in and they changed the sound dramatically. From then to now it's been a journey of chasing tone and trialing everything on the market, some to great surprise and others to great disappointment.

I first put copper to bobbin in late 2013 after reading a "How To" thread on one of the guitar forums that outlined a decent and simple looking method of winding pickups. I saw a used pickup winder pop up on a forum with a few kits and jumped at the chance. The machine was okay but needed frequent adjustment and was a little underpowered for my liking but it was a great way to start.

[​IMG]

The first 10-12 pickups went awful as I figured out how NOT to do it...tension, scatter, speed, offset, magnet grade and charge level etc etc etc, but then when it was looking grim and I was starting to think it might not be for me, I hit one of the guitar tones I'd been in love with for ages; I was hearing Bloomfield in my guitar. I kept extensive notes (I'm a stats geek) on every pickup so far so I sat down and tried to recreate the set from my notes to see if I could or if I just got lucky... This is where that first 'Bluesman' set was born which launched me on the path.

That set eventually turned into the Bluesman Chicago'68 set when I made attempts later on to cop some other of my favorite tones. They're still my #1 best sellers and are usually in the top 3 of my personal favorites list which tends to vary from week to week.

Here's some vids and a link to the set;

First review done by Doug & Pat

A more recent review by GuitarAnimal (clean tones ~1:55)

Also for the record, Sigil is pronounced more like Sid-Jill than Seagull but it doesn't really matter. ;)

LINK: Sigil Pickups Bluesman Chicago'68 Set

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    nickmsmith likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.