Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Simple Green to clean guitars?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Ravenmore, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Hi all,

I had some gunk on a Squire I was working on so, since it was a cheap guitar and I didn't care, I sprayed some Simple Green cleaner to a cloth and wiped it down. It did a fantastic job of taking the gunk off and really made the guitar shine. So now I'm wondering if it is ok to clean guitars with this stuff regularly? I mean I don't care too much about screwing up a Squier but would hate to mess up the finish on an expensive guitar.

2. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    Simple Green is environmentally safe yet it can be corrosive on softer metals, aluminum, etc. I would never use it on a instrument of any kind.

3. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    Simple green is a degreaser yes?

4. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    what’s on your guitar that you can’t just wipe it with a damp cloth?

5. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

For a cheap Squier with thick poly I would think it would be fine for the finish.

As for the plated metals, frets, pups and electronics I wouldn't want either regular saturation or application. The copper wires and cheap thin plating might not hold up to well...

6. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I bought the Squier in question used and it had some kind of gunk around the pick guard. Looked possibly like some kind of glue. I tried to pick it off and scrape it off with the edge of an old credit card but it was pretty stubborn. The Simple Green took it right off. It also did a great job with any other finger prints/smudges on the guitar. It really cleaned it up nice.

The finger board to me on guitars get a 'greasy' feel after a while. I like to clean it with something from time to time.

If it could corrode the aluminum/metal that would obviously not be good.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Guitar shops use just plain ol' Naphtha to clean all the old wax and gunk off your guitar.

Make sure you re-wax the body and re-oil the fretboard, because the Naphtha will leave it completely clean.

rolandson likes this.

8. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    Hmm sounds like someone stickered the guitar then picked them off in a half arsed way?
    I’d be happy enough to use it on the body, I belive simple green is used and recommended for automotive purposes in the US?
    I wouldn’t use it on the fret board however.
    A hard rubbing with an absorbent rag to lift what you can but I’m not sure about the greasy fretboard, even after a touch of oil my boards arnt greasy so perhaps the previous owner enjoyed fries and a cheeky strum regularly?

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Soap and water, naphtha, googone, T-Cut, autosol, flame thrower. Whatever it takes to get the thing nice and spangly. :p

Hairy Bear and Ferret619 like this.

10. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Naphthalene, aka lighter fluid and/or a damp cloth.
    Stuff like 409, Simple Green, Windex are not suitable for guitars or any other musical instrument.

Mr. Grabby and vid1900 like this.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    This ^!

12. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    It amazes me. Folks will use naptha and or lighter fluid but frown on a spray cleaner such as windex or simple green.

13. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Probably try furniture polish before I would try simple green.

Thin69 likes this.

14. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I just use Ronsonol lighter fluid (I think it's simple naptha, but not sure). One bottle lasts for years. It evaporates quickly and the odor is only momentary. It works. It's cheap. Readily available. Won't damage your guitar's finish. Takes gunk off. Unlike other stuff no residue stays on your guitar after cleaning.

Ebidis likes this.

15. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    Years ago we all used Simple Green on motorcycles and other vehicles, it was the new do everything safe degreaser. Then we all discovered how it damages the finish on metals. Now if it is used it is done so carefully and is completely rinsed off.

16. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia

17. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Diluted non full strength Simple Green works awesome for cleaning smeared, smudged and gunked up poly coated bodies and the backs of necks to squeeky clean.

Then wax on, wax off grasshopper.

8T_BoCO, Bodean and Strat-Slinger like this.

18. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 New Member!

Aug 9, 2017
    Pasadena CA
    50/50 simple green mix and water cleans guitars well. Can use it and Ronsenol(naphtha) to clean a rosewood fretboard. Just a little will not harm it.

19. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    I’d say just treat it like any other auto finish..
    leave it in the driveway and when it needs work make it someone else’s problem.

Wax and grease remover (prepsol) does well

20. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    It's a guitar, not a baby or some delicate piece of art. You sweat on it, drool on it, smear your dirty fingers all over it and drop it. Unless it is a wall-hanger, they are meant to be used, abused and played hard. :)

Mild detergents, simple green, naphta and similar, all works fine as long as you use common sense and doesn't leave it on. Wipe on, wipe off, play on..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    jvin248 likes this.