Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Slide guitar ... bass strings buzzing despite flat strings and action?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratGuy4692, Oct 13, 2018.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Hey all I'm hoping this is in the right place but heres the deal.. Slide guitar I play my guitars on my lap as if they were lap steel. All of my guitars have new flat top nuts so radius shouldnt matter and my action as you can imagine is jacked up on both ends of my guitars. So heres the issue. My bass strings if I put too light a pressure on them they buzz. Too much pressure JUST to get the bass strings to sound properly and my slide mobility is drastically effected. I place my slide absolutely perpendicular to the frets so why do I feel like the only way I get clean notes on my thickest strings is to tilt my slide back towards them.(As such it gets lifted off my 4th 5th and sixth strings) Placing the slide without rocking forward or back to hit lower or upper strings doesnt work? Is this a technique issue or am I just horrible at the entire endeavor? My set ups are for slide so why cant I get clean notes out of my thick strings? Pup height is plenty clear also.

2. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

are you setting your strings with an 'under the string' radius gauge? if so, don't. set the strings so that the top of the strings are uniform.

don't laugh, i see this quite often. people are so married to their way of doing things, that they don't stop to think about it. they use an under the string gauge and don't understand why it isn't working right.

and for what it's worth, I use flatwound 14s for lap and pedal. less scratch.

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i think bass strings require more pressure to keep tight to the slide, which is what gives clean notes - it's just the way it is. either bear down on the slide or lighten up on the attack... i dont think there are other choices once you got the action high and flatwounds on (which i love for slide a lot)

4. StratGuy4692

Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Thats what I've figured. I will lighten up on my attack on said strings but damn its not easy.

5. StratGuy4692

Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    i'll call my tech and ask what he did but The thicker strings just wont sound without immense pressure which isnt the way it should be.