Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

So excited

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's 5am, Boyo is snoozing hard, the cats are assisting me with setting up drum mics. Marching band season is over, for the most part, so we have a little time today and Dado is calling in favors after buying a lot of sticks and other supplies. Boyo and I get on each other's nerves working together so I am going to get the kit totally ready while he is still asleep so that we can work when we like without delay.

I am doing some slightly different stuff with the drum mics and hopefully, we can get a good drum track for another dadoboyo tune. If we are really flying, maybe two.

FINGERS CROSSED!!

2. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds great. And because of daylight savings time you get an extra hour! Good luck.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  3. Dadocaster

Thanks. I am re-reading some stuff on drum micing and today, I'm going Hollywood. 5 mics. lolololol

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
  5. Dadocaster

Did you know that snare drums are kind of like guitars? Different snare drums tend to work better or worse depending on genre. I think we have four of them. I don't have the right snare drum in here. I have the one that's more open and ringing rather than the one that is mostly just a big WHACK. The other one is in Boyo's room and I would have to get in the closet and root around. So, I can't totally set things up.

Yaralag likes this.
  6. Yaralag

You experiment with an O Ring or a piece of tape. (Unless you already are)

7. Dadocaster

Yeah, we have done many hours on that kind of thing. The main difference we deal with is the "open" and lively sound of a metal snare that seems to suit jazz and funk more and a wood snare that features a lot of WHACK. MoonGels, good heads, new wires, it's as bad as guitars. We are doing punk today so maybe the WHACK would be the ticket.

Yaralag likes this.
  8. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    Drum question. I know nothing about drums, so forgive me for how I ask this question.

A while ago I noticed on one of the the Grateful Dead’s drums (the snare I think) it had what looked to be a piece of tape in the shape of a rectangle. It struck me as odd, not knowing its purpose or what it actually was.

Any idea?

9. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I need to see how you mic the cats.

11. Dadocaster

Drums will often have overtones and rattles and ringing and the easy fix is to put on some tape to deaden something. You will see duct tape a lot and for more exact control they make little rubber gel things that you can stick where you want them.

12. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    Got it, thanks. I was always curious, should have known, makes perfect sense.

13. Dadocaster

It's important to isolate your cat from the room. I like to use rubber matting and then just use a hypercardiod dynamic mic.

[​IMG]

14. Dadocaster

Most things are "should have knowns" once you've asked. They sure are for me. :D

I have been around percussion and drums a lot but have only had to get into the nuts and bolts for the last few years. There is a learning curve to everything but at this point, my son is more an expert than I. The primitive ways that we use to record them in a little spare bedroom studio come from a lot of messing around, studying and when things don't work I come here and get advice from the smarterer people that hang out here.

Lovnmesomestrat and 808K like this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    :D

16. Dadocaster

Just wish he did not look so judgemental when I am placing mics.

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. Dadocaster

I have misplaced a mic.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. Yaralag

Cats like to pretend that they’re helping but really they are just furry micro-managers.

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. Dadocaster

Yours pretend to help???

Yaralag and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  20. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    "Cats 'N Drumsticks" . . . I like that :thumb: