Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So guitar isn't dead...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Johnny Danger, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    velvet_man, davidKOS, Grux and 3 others like this.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks like a lot of guitar forum curmudgeons are wrong.

Grux likes this.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I thought Rolling Stone was dead. It's kind of hard to tell the difference though.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Who’da thunk?

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    Guitar forum curmudgeons are there to make people quit so they can buy their stuff! There is a goal haha.

abnormaltoy, bgmacaw and Electgumbo like this.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    We're never wrong...
    Confused
    Unfriendly
    Lost our glasses
    Horny
    Depressed

Maybe...

7. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    We're never wrong... Of course not
    Confused.... Always
    Unfriendly..... Who want's know?
    Lost our glasses..... I saw what you did there
    Horny....... I have a headache
    Depressed...... I'm going down the Pub

Maybe... Definate

Thrup'ny Bit and abnormaltoy like this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    But some of us are members of the Royal Antisocial Order Of Curmdgeons, Grand Lodge of England. We wrote the curmudgeonly rule book and reserve all rights worldwide, so we can't be wrong...

Bowmap, Grux, ukoldgit and 1 other person like this.

9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    I am a curmudgeon...a proud curmudgeon, and I am often wrong...but, in this case, I never bought into the BS from RS rag.

circles, ukoldgit, Nate D and 2 others like this.

10. ukoldgit

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK

abnormaltoy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

11. ukoldgit

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    Curmudgeon = worse than Miserable Basturd (lets see if that get through the profanity filter)

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If it is true great but i do not believe much that comes out of Rolling Stone Mag..........

henderman, Lester H and abnormaltoy like this.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    But a persona only adopted in order to amuse people and get a laugh out of otherwise mundane subjects.

ukoldgit and abnormaltoy like this.

14. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Apr 9, 2015
    Magrathea
    Yeah this went around Squier Talk last month or something similar. Honestly, I think it's a bubble. Just take a look at the "Guitar census" thread and also the "what is this" thread. Guitars are cheap and well built. Because of that, many of us own multiple guitars. When I bought my first guitar, it was a Squier HM3 that was $450 plus tax. I put it on layaway. That's a lot of guitar in this market. I would wager that a lot of the GAS sufferers are Baby Boomers and Gen-X. The trend with Millennials is downsizing not mass accumulation. Why do Baby Boomers and Gen-X collect guitars? Because we grew up in eras where guitar players were living Gods. Millennials not so much. The generation behind them? Even less. That doesn't mean there aren't great bands out today that jam on guitars. There are but these guys are lucky to sell out small clubs. When I was a kid, it was stadiums, then it was arenas, now it's mid-sized venues. I'm guessing as we die off, the used guitar market is going to get saturated with a bunch of closet classics and the new guitar market will see a decline in sales that will continue.

Lester H and abnormaltoy like this.

15. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2018
    Kansas
    Whether it's true or not there isn't hardly anything played on popular radio today that would entice a kid or young adult to pick the instrument up. I haven't met a kid in several years who expresses interest in the guitar anymore and I used to give lessons. I also have two high school aged kids and none of their friends express interest in music in general. School music programs are a shell of what they used to be too. It's pretty sad.

We know there is still a lot of good guitar oriented music still being played out there but we have to search for it. How do you convince an uninterested kid or young adult to search for it so that they become interested? Unless it's played on the soundtrack of a summer action movie it goes undiscovered anymore.

ChukkerNation likes this.

16. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The guitar as a musical instrument will be around long after we are not. However I don't see them being the musical force they once were in pop music.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Nope. No guitars at all in popular music...

18. Fireball519

Fireball519 Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2015
    Walland, TN
    Sounds a bit like another organization I belong to...where do I sign?!?!

19. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2018
    Kansas
    That may be the same thing I bought around 1989. Mine was a SSH configuration with no pickguard and Floyd Rose-ish bridge with locking nut. Squier's version of the HM strat back then.

It seems I took a pretty good flogging on that guitar as 500 dollars comes to mind. I know I hauled hay all summer and my parents told me I had to have enough left for school clothes first before the guitar. I remember not buying any Levis that year but Rustlers instead to afford that guitar. I'd spent the summer listening to Love/Hate Blackout In The Red Room album and their guitarist John Love played a Fender HM in the video and was pictured with a white one in Guitar World mag. I had to have myself something as close as I could afford.

Several years later I bought a Squier standard strat on sale for $169. I was young, married with children and had to finance it! Probably paid $5000 before I got it paid off.