Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

so many monster rock bands are british

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ole lefty, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ole lefty

ole lefty Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2018
    north carolina
    i got to thinking about my all time favorite rock bands from the 60s and 70s and it occurred
    to me ,,, they were mostly british bands. so i got to looking up the different ones,, and yes
    most were british...sure there are a few american bands scattered about,,,but mostly british.

so is this common? go down your list of favorite 20 bands and see what the count is.
    just wondering if i am being biased even though i am redneck american !!!

terry m

2-Finger, abnormaltoy and circles like this.

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX

3. ole lefty

Mar 24, 2018
    north carolina
    never really thought about it much

terry m

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Yep. Even Jimi had a British band.

Funny that rocks roots were in the USA, but rock really found its home in the UK artists... which ended up being stars back in the USA.

Any legit all-time rock great rock band list is surely going to be at least half British bands. probably more.

5. ole lefty

Mar 24, 2018
    north carolina
    go all the way back to the early 60s..... beatles,, DC5,,, stones,,, floyd,, the who,,, the kinks,,zeppelin,,black sabbath,,, queen,, AC/DC,,
    cream,,, deep purple,, yardbirds,,judas priest,, the hollies,, the animals,, i mean it goes on and on... maybe thats why i like vox so much,,, cause its british (or used to be).

terry m

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    brians, abnormaltoy and Will Lefeurve like this.

6. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Ah.. those were the days.. we still had an empire.. well.. Gibraltar, and all the politicians told the truth.. :eek:

Well.. that's not true, but I thought I'd embellish the old Bulldog a bit.. :sneaky:

[​IMG]

7. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    AC/DC are entirely from Australia....well, besides Brian Johnson of course. But he came to the family later.
    But I always said that England and Scotland, Ireland and Wales has some of the best musicians and actors.
    And they made the best looking car ever in history of sportscars - the Jaguar E-Type.
    Thanks for all of that good people.

Life is good,
    Robin

8. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    I blame country and western... imagine the music that could have been made if all that talent hadn’t been syphoned off into country.

9. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    I consider Jimi an honorary Englishman. ;)

Nobody cared about him in the US. He found fame in England and lived here for the rest of his life.

10. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    There's a good reason for all the Brit bands in those days, its called unemployment:)

11. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    Thrup'ny Bit and T Bone Slort like this.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The vast majority of my favourite bands & musicians are from the USA. In fact almost all of them. This "British Rock" thing is soooo over-rated.

ZlurkCorzDog and Elvie like this.

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's questionable.....:sneaky:

T Bone Slort likes this.

14. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Took this post to make me realize how much more of a fan of American acts I am than Brits. The Brits who totally turned my world upside down were the Stones - they took American music to the next level. One of my 2-3 favorite acts ever, very possibly my favorite. I realize Jimi found fame in England, but all of his years of development were in the US - so I’m still claiming him as an American - he can be an honorary Brit, but he’s American through and through. You may as well call James Baldwin a Frenchman because he lived there in exile for many years - he’s thoroughly American. I also really loved Clapton and Richard Thompson at various times, and Thompson even mostly played British roots, more than American. Honorable mention to Rory G and Van Morrison... Love Dire Straits too, but only really the first two albums.

But beyond that, I LIKED a lot of British bands, but didn’t love em. Beatles, Kinks, Who, Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, Trower, Elvis Costello, Elton John all spent lots of time on my record player as a kid, but were never in my top five. Not more than an occasional fan of Zepplin, Floyd, not a Sabbath guy or metal from anywhere. Or glam like Queen or Bowie - I respect em but never spent much time with em. Same with U2.

I spent a lot more time with the Dead, Springsteen, Dylan, Petty, the Band, Stills / Young etal. The Allmans! Joni, Bonnie, Little Feat, Muddy, BB, Cray, Alfred. Stevie Ray and bro Jimi, Doug Sahm. ZZ and Skynard. All the jazz guys - Trane, Miles, Monk, Mingus, Scofield, and soooo many more. I know there are a few Canadians sprinkled in there, but they’re American as hell. I’ve probably spent a good 70-75% of my listening time with American artists and It would be 90 plus if Keith Richards had never existed...

Never realized what an American music patriot I am until now but I really am. And I’m the farthest thing from a Redneck American - I’m one of the “coastal elites” so out of favor these days, except I’m not elite. I don’t even like but a little bit of country music after bluegrass. And except for Richard Thompson (and Elton and Elvis to an extent), all my favorite Brits were recycling the blues anyway. Thanks for pointing this out - I understand the premise and my immediate reaction to the thread title was along the lines of “Duh!” But on closer inspection, it doesn’t hold up for me... Not even a little bit!

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Tone Deaf and Rastus like this.

15. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-Talker

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    I think that Britain made music go one step further and global.also
    I have the opinion that Europe would still listen to each countrys folk music if it werent for England.They took the blues and made it better dare i say?The Bristish bands were innovative and full of lust.Tgey even un -hillbillied American musicFrom 70s and on thank you England for the music

Neil.C, simoncroft and rafasounds like this.

16. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

And Jazz. All that talent...wasted :thumb:

ukoldgit, ZlurkCorzDog and rafasounds like this.

17. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Well, I was all wrong about AC/DC (thanks Matt \m/) and I was wrong about Angus and Malcom. They were born in Glasgow, Scotland and later moved to Australia - about when Angus was 8 years old.
    It is all in the genoms so we can call them Scottish people.

Sorry,
    Robin

mshivy, Rastus, Bodean and 1 other person like this.

18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

we can blame Marshall for all of this.

Im totally fine with it.

Tomas83, brians, mshivy and 1 other person like this.

19. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting question that allows for some inner specualtion and musical soul searching..

50s - American Rock n Roll
    60-70s rock - than Jimi, Chuck Berry and some British rock. Not a fan of Btitish blues at all.
    80s- we will ignore the British / American New Wave junk and go with the British Rockabilly balanced with American metal and blues NOT grunge
    90s - American Blues
    2000 onwards - Norway, Finland, Sweden, Italy German rock. Found anything on this continent boring. Balanced with American blues going back to the beggining.

My conclusion is that with the consistent run of blues , American music is in the lead as a contstant thread. On the Rock side these days though its all across the pond. :)