Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

so many monster rock bands are british

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ole lefty, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    Yeap i never do that....i served two extra months in the army(here its obligatory) because the military police asked me why i was going to the loo 3 in the morning...and i answered....

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm not sure that either Stax or Muscle Shoals are best known for rock n' roll. Sun, Chess & J&M would seem like a better choice for that genre.

simoncroft likes this.

3. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    aren't you forgetting a country...none better than the germans...lol...and the block inlay 79v.... RCA.jpeg 480515326-612x612.jpg

Robins, circles, mshivy and 2 others like this.

4. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    A sampling of music recorded at Muscle Shoals

Stax Records

circles likes this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes I'm familiar with both thanks. I've seen both house bands play live. I still maintain that Stax & Muscle Shoals are best known for soul.

6. ole lefty

ole lefty Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2018
    north carolina
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same thing here ray,,,,, i listened to and played bluegrass for better then 30 years. not losing my love for classic rock..but the traditional unpluged acoustic stuff just had so much appeal to me,, and i got pretty good at it,,, learning banjo ,,mandolin,,dobro and upright bass,, but banjo being my main money maker,,, i was turned on to it by the seldom scene,, and just fell in head first... but like most after a while burnt out.. and was missing my classic rock stuff being a child of the 60s.. and a teen in the early 70s,,, it was the mecca time for music. such a huge spectrum of change from 61 to 71. it will never happen again... i know you've noticed.. they are so out of ideas now every other TV commercial has a classic rock song in the backround ....
    don't get me wrong ,, i love alot of american bands too,,(pun) american band ,,grand funk !!!! skynyrd,,wet willie,, allman bros,, older ones like the four seasons,, temptations,, beach boys,, wicked pickett,,the ventures(where i learned guitar) and later on aerosmith,, tom petty,, ZZ top,, credence (loved credence),, WOW i just realized i gotta get my albums out ,,, i must have a fortune in vinyl in those milk crates. lots of yard mowing and oil changing and cleaning stalls getting those albums !!!!!!

terry m

RaySachs likes this.

7. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

The greatest composers were German.
    The greatest chess players were Russian.

An incredible amount of great, classic rock and roll came from England

Jazz is an American invention- probably our only indigenous art form.

Athanasios likes this.

8. Athanasios

Athanasios Strat-O-Master

Mar 23, 2018
    Greece
    At last

9. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When they got famous yes but everyone has to start somewhere.

When Elvis Presley,Bill Black and Scotty Moore hit the road in 1953 they were imo one of the first three piece Rock bands:thumb:

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Blues? Gospel? Soul? Funk? Rock n' Roll?

guitarface and duzie like this.

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Ive done some thinking.

It seems as though I am actually the reason and the leading factor behind all this great music.

Lets face it. I didnt know it existed. then I was born and it existed.

coincidence? I think not.

heltershelton, Nadnitram and duzie like this.

12. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2017
    The backyard
    AC/DC may have been formed in Australia, but Angus and Malcolm where born in Scotland, as was Bon Scott. Of the classic lineup, I think only Phil Rudd is actually from Oz. Cliff Williams is from England. The UK pool of talent was deep back in the 60s/70s.

13. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2017
    The Heartland
    I recommend Wild Tales, by Graham Nash. It was an interesting read, and gave me some insight into the UK music scene in the 60's.

[​IMG]

14. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-Talker

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    IMO the best music happens when somebody brings a new cultural style to an existing form. Like when Dick Dale brough his arabic flair to American surf music. Or when the Rolling Stones bring their British sensibilities to American blues, which Keith Richards says he recognized as being partially derived from British and Scottish folk music.

I like a lot of British bands. And Australian, Canadian, and American. I think the London music scene is responsible for an awful lot of great music, London in the 60s was more cosmopolitan and accepting than any city in America (where music was segregated). London clubs, London radio, London record stores would play music that was good, without so much racial connotation. And London audiences ate it up. The main path for black American music to reach a white American audience went through London.

And Ted Nugent should go **** himself. I'm sick of his drivel. For those who believe he doesn't do drugs, that's not what he told High Times. He said he got so high that he shat all over himself to get out of the draft. He claims now he just made that up, and all that proves is that he's a liar. I saw him in the 90s, he was a great performer with AMAZING stage presence, but a repugnant human being spouting jingoistic fascist crap between songs and misogynist crap IN the songs.

simoncroft and Dick Blackmore like this.

15. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    And so at this juncture, can we all agree that all the best music we love and loved came from planet Earth?

simoncroft and 2-Finger like this.

16. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I'll take Elvis over any of those shaggy haired British hoodlums.

[​IMG]

17. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

heltershelton likes this.

18. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    Neil.C, duzie and simoncroft like this.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    It's strange, because when I first heard Sabbath, I didn't really like them. But when I hear that again after so many years, I can really hear the Cream influence, which in turn is a blues influence.

If I suggested that there was a Freddie King influence in Black Sabbath's material, most people would say "get outta here", but King massively influenced Clapton...

I remember Frank Zappa being on UK radio, and he said: "I don't care what anyone says. I still love Black Sabbath!"

In the end, music is a melting pot, and in this connected world, influences can come from any country or culture. Check this out if you don't believe me: http://radio.garden/live/chania/ert-chania/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    duzie and heltershelton like this.