Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So much for these LOXX locking :(

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    Do you think that stick is ash or do you think it's alder?

Ebidis and heltershelton like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Old Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I know it's not brass or monkey metal covered in shiny brass coloured plating, that's good enough for me...

Bodean likes this.

3. James Ervin

James Ervin Strat-Talk Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Heroldsbach, Germany

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    If you already have it all figured out, why'd you bother posting asking for advice?

5. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    I had an old Les Paul many years ago. The strap fell off and I luckily caught the guitar before it hit the ground. I looked at the guitar, and the strap button had pulled right out. At my feet were a pile of about 6-7 toothpicks!

The toothpick trick works when you need a hole to just be a bit more snug. On the Les Paul, the previous owner filled a massive hole with toothpicks and no glue. It didn't hold. I drilled out the hole and hammered in a hardwood dowel, and then put a small hole for the strap button. Why anyone would put 6+ toothpicks in on an expensive guitar and expect it to hold is beyond me.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It probably would have been fine had they bothered to glue it. Once the glue sets, it's harder than the wood that it's bonded to.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Basswood harness is 410

Rob Moreno likes this.

8. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Striped Ebony is 1780

Indian Ebony is 2430

Mun Ebony is 3000

Gaboon Ebony 3080

Macassar Ebony 3200

Brazilian Ebony 3690

9. James Ervin

Aug 24, 2017
    Heroldsbach, Germany
    I didn't ask for advice. I tried to tell them from the start that toothpicks and matchsticks might work for a pickguard screw, but are practically worthless with the stress of a guitar strap hooked up to an expensive guitar that you dont want falling off when it gives way. But to be honest, it is not my guitar that is being risked, so I really shouldn't have bothered i guess. Some people are bound and determined that the easiest way is always the best, and I cant change that. I just would hate to see the thread when someone uses toothpicks, and breaks the neck on his guitar all because he followed some pretty lame advice from another member here. But hey....whatever.

10. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    Bummer. Looks like an easy/standard fix.

I've been having great results with Lock-It straps.

11. James Ervin

Aug 24, 2017
    Heroldsbach, Germany
    It is an easy fix....a 5mm wooden dowel and a bit of glue would fix it right up. But you gotta want to do it the right way and not the fastest way.

For all you guys that think I have no clue, I did go to school here in germany to be a certified furniture maker. Over the two years I had about 600 hours of theory in woodworking, material, wood types and tools. The rest of the time was practical experience building furniture. Here is an example of a Table I designed and built during that time in case anyone is interested. (if not...just ignore it)
    Chesstable_wpieces.jpg Chesstable_inside.jpg
    of course the only screws in this table are holding the knobs on the drawers. Everything else is wood joints.

12. Steve365

Steve365 Strat-O-Master

May 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    That's exactly what I was going to reply until I saw this.
    I did this with my Telecaster 3-4 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

13. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    What's your deal? Maybe if you toned it down a bit, people might be a little nicer to you.

14. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im off to fly my aeroplane.
    got to play the grande piano.

in case you were wondering what im takin bout.....

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

15. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Well I'll disagree with you.
    Dowels are weaker because you'll be screwing into end grain. Toothpicks are hardwood and orientated is such a way that the screw is biting into the side; NOT end grain.
    The proper way to do it is to insert the toothpicks and glue, then screw in the screw while the glue is still wet.
    The screw cuts new threads and acts as a clamp making for a very tight bond.
    Much better than screwing into weak end grain.

I've been repairing guitars for 54 years and I don't care how many tables you've built.

S Mac

Diamond_Dave and heltershelton like this.

16. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Wow! So softer than pine?!

17. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Well I also have 600+ hours dedicated to learning the art of woodwork - with toothpicks! (and popsicle sticks...)

[​IMG]

(ok, not my actual house...)

;)

18. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Super soft and fine grained; Basswood is a favorite at art fairs because of how quickly it can be carved by hand.

When you see those old men instantly carve a child's likeness, it's probably basswood.

19. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Anyone want to purchase my old LOXX strap locks?? $12 and free shipping

:)

20. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I noticed the back button screw was loose on my Lone Star Mexican Strat. Two toothpicks and a little wood glue, good (or better) than new.

heltershelton likes this.