Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So, where did you buy your first electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    So, when I was 12 or 13 years old, I pestered the life out of my poor old Dad, he finally gave in and I :rolleyes: bought a horrendous Japanese noname Strat "copy" for £45 from this illustrious establishment.

Sale & Exchange small.png
    I just came across the photograph of the place and know @simoncroft and @s5tuart will remember these kinds of shops with great affection. :)

So?

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Guitar Showcase, San Jose, CA.

Tone Deaf likes this.

3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Weeee doggie Strat-Talk Supporter

at a music shop in Fulda Germany, back in the mid '60's.

Tone Deaf and rolandson like this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    my first electric was a gift, but the first one i ever bought with my own money was a charvel model 6 from rhythm city in atlanta.
    i think its a guitar center now.

Tone Deaf, Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

5. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    "George B Kindness & Son" in Toronto 1970. It was a violin maker/repair shop my dad frequented as well as a Gretsch dealer with a Japanese line...Ventura! I bought a Ventura 335 copy for $100 and kept it until my 71 Mustang came along only for it to be kicked to the curb not too much later by my 67 SG Custom.:cool:

My dad owned a vintage Heinl violin purchased from the maker (who I met as a child) but didn't get along with him about repairs etc. so he took his instrument and custom to the Kindness company for life. I met George Kindness when I was very young and in later years got to know his son Bob over guitar dealings. Bob is gone now too but the respect and gratitude I have for the people and that place in my early learning years can never be matched...thanks, with all of my "Kindness":thumb:

The violin? The instrument is currently on consignment at the instruction of my mother, with the maker @$20k+:thumb: Nice little bonus for my mum!:cool:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

6. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

From the kitchen manager at the bar I was tending, who was getting married and selling some gear. I was talking about how I needed an electric so I could play in a band my best friend from kindergarten had invited me join.

The kitchen manager Mike said "Yeah, I've got some guitars I'm selling. Some pretty nice ones too." I asked him how much he'd want, and he said "Between 2 and 3 hundred I guess."

Made arrangements to meet at his house and the first guitar he showed me was a 1976 Stratocaster hardtail natural. As soon as I saw it I said "Sold! How much you want for it?"

He said "I said between 2 and 3 hundred, right? That one's $300. But don't you want to see any others?"

I figured he might have something better, everything he showed me was pointy metal guitars. B C Rich Warlock, Mockingbird, Jackson, Charvel. Nothing I was interested in, it was 1994 and we were going to be covering the Seattle sound bands.

7. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Seattle
    A kid in high school said he had an electric guitar and wanted $50. I said great and had my dad drive me over. Sunshine of your Love played on the radio and I took that as a good thing.
    For $50 I got my first electric a 1966 Firebird V with case. Good starter.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Gruhn's Guitars, Nashville, TN...back when they were on Broadway. I don't remember what I used for trading material. I couldn't afford the vintage pre-WWII L-5 they had in stock (although it would have been a great investment), so I traded for a tatty, blonde, ES-175D.

Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

9. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Bought a Series 10 off a buddy who decided to quit guitar and play bass.

rolandson likes this.

10. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Brian Guitars, New Haven CT

my mom stopped by on her way home from work

Tone Deaf, Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

11. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    First electric was a Teisco del ray, $49 out the door from a discount store..

First Fender was in 72' or so, an old mustang $50. Hated that dang thing but it got the job done I guess.

First Strat was from B-Sharp music in Minneapolis.

Groovey, Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

12. DaveyC

DaveyC Strat-Talk Member

Dec 21, 2016
    East Sussex
    Sunn Mustang HSS strat in white, was 1990 and it cost £90 I think.
    Should have kept it.
    It was a toss up between that and a Marlin sidewinder.

Dan_Q and rolandson like this.

13. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Local guitar shop.. Not a fender dealer.. but shop sells things on consignment.. was advertised as new old stock.. 2006 MIA standard Stratocaster.. needless to say probably paid a couple of hundred dollars more because guy selling on consignment needs a piece of the pie. Lol
    But after playing it, still think it was worth every penny. Love it.

s5tuart, Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    Lechmere, can't remember if it was the original Cambridge store or the Dedham one. It was a Cruccianelli Italian made 330 type. I was drooling over the Bandmasters they had that day but ended up with a PR.

Thrup'ny Bit and rolandson like this.

15. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Actually my first guitar was 1982. B.C rich mockingbird paid $500 , that was a lot of money in the 80s.. but have heard the B.C rich mockingbird I had back in the day is worth over $3000 now.
    Must have been a rare Bird.

Tone Deaf and rolandson like this.

16. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

1967 - American Music - Beaverton Oregon, USA.
    I was 12. I'd been playing trumpet for five years, cello for one, and classical guitar for about three. My dad acquiesced and permitted a Fender Mustang and Vibro-Champ into his house.

Things would never be the same again.

17. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    At a now defunct local shop here called Wagstaff Music. Bought a new 1994 Peavey Predator strat copy in black with a maple neck. Still have it, though it doesn’t see much action these days as it’s dropped down the list just a bit.;)

ocean likes this.

18. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Mine was a 74 Tele I paid 150 bucks for. The guy had just bought a new LP so he ditched the Tele. I wish I still had it

The Strat Dude and Raiders757 like this.

19. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    I bought a Lotus guitar in mint condition with a really nice leather case. It was a metallic silver and identical to a Strat. I loved it but had to part with it to a pawn shop because eating was apparently far more important.

West Coast Idea likes this.

20. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    1970 long gone shop on Walthamstow market in E London. Single pickup Hofner Colorama £15. Complete dog (no offence to dogs!!!).

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.