Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So, where did you buy your first electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I think the Avon Les Paul copy was a right of passage back in the 70s, we all seemed to have one. They taught us what a good guitar is, anything except an Avon Les Paul. :D

Stratbats, Neil.C and LPBlue like this.

2. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    My grandmother on my father's side of the family reluctantly ordered it from the Sears and Roebuck catalog.. the huge Christmas one. It was a child sized harmony acoustic in a sort of tobacco burst finish. When I say reluctantly it wasn't necessarily because she didn't think I would play the guitar. She was just the type of person that didn't believe in giving you something you wanted, she usually gave us things we needed. Like clothes... clothes suck when you are 7.

I was too young to really stick with it though, and I neglected it. Left it strung up with tension and the bridge lifted from the body, along with a chunk of the body.

LPBlue and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Bought a traveler pro...
    Skip's music in North Sacramento.
    Specifically, I bought it because I thought I'd be able to play it in my cube at work...
    WRONG!

5:00 a.m. I came in to do a backup on #2 Oracle server...
    Started playing while it ran....
    Somewhere across the compound...
    Some guy yells...
    Could you knock that ting, ting, ting s#*t off, dammit

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    No I get an error message

5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Sold my New (for the time) Nintendo 64 in order to pay for a Slammer by hamer strat copy from The woodwind and the brasswind, Or Rock n' Rhythm back in 1995.

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Fast forward to 1983 and I was living within walking distance of there, in West Croydon. I remember there being a luggage shop on Thornton Heath High Street, but I suspect its guitar selling days were long gone.

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    My first guitar came from Sears and Roebuck. In the Sears tradition of "Good, Better, Best" since mine had an amp...it was "best"!

The first guitar I bought for myself was from Mars Music in Dallas...a sunburst Strat with a maple board.

Stark, Thrup'ny Bit and Bodean like this.

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Forgot to mention:
    At that time I didn't even know a "C" scale.

9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Arnill's Music in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in the late '70s. It was a horrible El Degas Telecaster copy in oly white. I eventually stripped off the paint and installed a dimarzio fat strat pickup in the bridge. It sounded good , but I never bonded with the high action, and I had no clue how to setup a guitar. So I sold it.

LPBlue likes this.

10. Bodean

Bodean Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    S&H Green stamp store. Saved all those green stamps my grandmother got from grocery shopping till I had enough to get an acoustic they had. I still remember the smell it had. Must have been the glue or I licked too many stamps.:D

11. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2009
    Virginia
    My first electric, after years of playing acoustic, was an Epiphone Sheraton from Guitar Center. Had a love/hate relationship with that guitar, traded it away twice. Finally replaced it with an Epi 335, much happier.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Dad being a corporate pilot, would bring home piles of S&H stamps (considering the airplane might take over a hundred gallons at a pop). All of our home appliances were gotten at the S&H store. I remember sitting at the kitchen table filling up book after book (we used a damp sponge)...I was probably 5 yrs old. One of the things my mom was pissed about when we moved to Alabama...no S&H store!

Ronnie12460 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

13. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

This thread reminded me of something. I actually bought a used Squire Strat in 1990 or 91. I bought it after SRV died because I guess I decided I had to commemorate his death or something. I think it was at GC. It was black with a white pick guard. I had every intention of taking lessons but I never did. I don't think I played it at all since I never got an amp. This may seem bizarre, but I have no idea what happened to that guitar.

What the heck happened to that guitar?

The LP I got when I started playing 3 years ago, I got from a friend.

craigh and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

14. nungesser

nungesser running with the moonshine dogs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    A place called Real Guitars in SF , I grabbed my Epiphone Coronet that day, I knew I was in the right place when I saw Joe Lewis Walker buying a guitar in there when I walked in

15. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    There are some great responses here. Born in the 50s, when I was "gettin' my legs" as it were, it was Gibson or Fender so I went there. The difference between now and then is, that as kids...we could afford them!:(o_O

16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    It was an old, Old Kraftsman (Kay) I bought from Zink's Music and Western Wear, Carrington, ND, circa 1972. I also took lessons from the owner, Lola Zink, of the legendary Lola and the Three Tunes country band. She taught me all the cowboy chords and how to do the bass run from G to C. I later learned the E to A run on my own.

craigh and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

17. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I think the place was called Hohner's Music, it was in an industrial park in Lenexa, KS. It was an Ibanez Roadstar II and came in a gloriously hideous pink/magenta/purple with gold hardware. Truly an awesome guitar you could get the strings almost on top of the frets with no buzz. I sold it to a friend who still has it I think. Loved that thing. Bought a string of hideous players after this one before I got my first Stratocaster, which I still have.

Oooo found a picture of one!
    [​IMG]

18. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    A music shop in Pigalle, Paris.

19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Got it at a hole in the wall music store just south of Atlanta .

It was a Strat copy by Peavey

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Moxams?