Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So, where did you buy your first electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Dec 29, 2017.

1. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    That rings a bell but so long ago my memory isn't that sharp. Was on the left hand side of the long market street near the top, going down from from Hoe Street. Sorry to everyone if this is very esoteric:whistling:.
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

2. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    At 'Servaas Muziek' in The Hague around 1985/1986. Read my introduction post for the details.
    Servaas was a great store that had deep roots in the Dutch rock scene of the '60, providing (lending) live equipment to both local and international bands.
    Unfortunately, it no longer exists (closed maybe 20 years ago).

3. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Cool thread. Nice stories folks.

TDawsons music, princes street, stockport. 1994 sunn mustang, £104. Store? long gone. Guitar? well, the body and trem mech still remain :) pic to follow, i took one not so long ago, still gets used regularly, though its now a parts caster.
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

4. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    1981 Dean Cadillac
    Purchased with Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo, Big Muff Pi and one of those old grey Echoplexes for $390
    from now-defunct A&A Pawnbrokers on Telegraph Ave in Oakland in the summer of 1985. I was only 15 so I had to switch IDs with my brother but we look alike so it was no big deal. Then we went to GC in Berkeley for Shigeaki Hattori to get a bass. We found a beat up 1975 Precision Bass and snapped that baby up. Shiggy already had a Gallien-Krueger RB 800 head and two 15” cabinets. We were going to school until 2 pm then to work at 3 pm until 7 pm and then practice from 8 pm to 10:30-11 pm and start all over the next day.
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Small world Simon!

The luggage shop was at the top of Brigstock Road/corner High Street opposite the clock tower. I was living in my first house in South Norwood then.

I think the owner would buy the odd consignment of flawed finish guitars from somebody like Rose-Morris and retail them in his shop at cheap prices. They all seemed to be Avon and Columbus IIRC.

I guess you must remember Rockbottom along the High street West Croydon?

Amazingly it is still there.

6. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

I think in real terms kids today have it much better.

Back in the day there were no MIM's, Squiers or Epiphones. Just the expensive full fat US Fenders or Gibsons........ and crap!

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    out to lunch
    And around here is was mostly crap.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Of course, I remember Rockbottom. I lived just off the London Road and went past it all the time.

Didn't we both buy our Strats from there? I got my MIJ there dirt cheap because I don't think anyone got on with the System 1 bridge. I swapped that out years ago, and threw the locking nut, but I've still got it 30+ years later.I've owned dearer Strats but that one has stuck with me.
    Neil.C likes this.

9. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Yes Simon, I bought my first real Strat, a US Standard there in 1989, I paid £399 for it new.

Still going after all these years and under the same ownership.

Great old time local music shop, a rarity nowadays.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. fender kev

fender kev Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2010
    got my first guitar from the same type of shop.a avon black lp copy
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

11. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    I knew I must be different. I had an avon SG rather than a Les Paul... bought from a little swap shop in Lee Green.

During my "artistic period" I stuck a walnut veneer scroll on the body and laquered over it....
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    YES! my artistic period must have been when I did a psychedelic pain job on my sunn mustang's pick guard. still have it somewhere.... i blame the stone roses.

13. GuitsrGeorge

GuitsrGeorge Strat-Talker

Apr 21, 2013
    long island, ny
    Times Square Stores on Hempstead Tpke in Levittown.

It was a Hagstrom III in red. I think it was around 1965 and cost about $100 or so.

I didn't have it all that long because I remember trading it outright at a local pawn shop for a "used" Strat in Sonic Blue.
    Neil.C, craigh and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

14. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

my first electric came from Sears

my first REAL electric came from music city in north bay - it was an epiphone G 310

15. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talk Member

Oct 6, 2017
    The DAV thrift store in Garden Grove, California. They had a crappy old Japanese strat for $29,99, which was waaay out of my budget. My younger brother (being the black sheep) simply erased the “2”
    from the price tag, bringing down the price to $9.99.

I could afford ten bucks (plus tax) for the guitar, but had to play it with only 5 strings until I had enough money to buy a new set.

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England

Some of the shop fittings came from 114-116 Charing Cross Road. I know, because I was running the shop when REW decided to get out of retail, so I flogged them to Rockbottom owner Carl Neilsen on the last knockings. After Carl left Macari's, Joe Macari would occasionally direct customers who demanded big discounts to Rockbottom, on the basis that he didn't want the business but Carl might be glad of it.

I've just looked at my bank account and it looks as if I've still got the £70 Carl gave me. :whistling: Ah, nostalgia eh?
    Neil.C likes this.

17. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    TSS had the best pizza. 25 cents a slice.

18. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    Used MIJ Squier, it was a gift.

19. nungesser

nungesser Wahoooooooo Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    was that the place on the corner of Ashby and Telegraph?
    Stark likes this.

20. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Yes, everything is better in the past. :)

Originally the shop was reasonably small, I first went in there when I went with a friend to buy a 60's Fender Mustang bass he still has.

Later Carl took over the large empty shop next door and combined them into one. Interesting that you were involved in the fittings.