Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

So, where did you buy your first electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thrup'ny Bit, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    It was on the same side of Telegraph as the Jack In The Box drive through, one block up from Alcatraz. I know you’ve seen it thousands of times before you moved to Ireland.

brians likes this.

2. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Bought my first electric guitar in the late 60's at a little shop in Portland, Maine. The shop is long since gone, but I remember the guitar as a red no name brand with one pickup. At the time it was my pride and joy.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    I still have it , bought it from the only single guitar shop in downtown Johannesburg , it was pre owned but like New, in those days, this was the cherries, envy of all I played with, still play it sometimes but its mostly made of junk to be honest, but we travelled a long road together and it's full of memories for me, most not shareable on this upstanding forum the store was called Magnet Music, was heaven for the cool kids, used to bunk school and hang out there ......good days indeed. 1514984498640.jpg
    Made in 1975

Neil.C and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

4. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    I was dating a girl in Highschool in '75 and her brother had an Ibanez Goldtop which he refused to sell to me...what ticked me off is he didn't play it...one day he came home and I IMG_8283.jpg happened to be there...seems he had just got a ticket for driving on a suspended license and had no cash..I pulled a C note out of my wallet and grabbed Lester...he cussed me out but we shook on the sale.

5. nungesser

nungesser Muleskinner Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    Yeah! that's it! I was thinking it was at Ashby but I was wrong. I bought my Dobro in that pawn shop, which was my dream guitar, I went in there and saw it and new I had to have it, I didn't even look into whether it was a good deal or not, I went back a week later and got it, I still have that Dobro today!
    Man I laugh who knows how many times are paths crossed without even knowing it

6. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

Nov 13, 2015
    USA
    It was 1998 or early 1999. I hadn’t harassed my parents for months about wanting a guitar. My mom finally agreed to buy me one - the cheapest guitar my local music store had. The store was Norm’s Music in Brooklyn, NY which sadly closed their doors early in 2017. It was a red Squier strat. It was $99 brand new. It took me a while after to save up for an amp.

7. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    I bought my first one from a junk shop in Sasser Ga. It was a no name piece of junk with rusty strings that sat about 40 inches above the fret board. I tried to learn to play on it for about 4 days and promptly threw it in the trash. I then went to Uncle Ed's Music store in Albany Ga. and bought a Japanese Squier Strat. Wish I still had it, along with the Princeton Reverb I bought from a coworker for 25 bucks.

8. dbolt

dbolt Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 17, 2014
    NC
    Pawnshop south Detroit. ‘59 burst Strat. $ 125.00

RnR Nolan likes this.

9. Scottz

Scottz Strat-Talker

Oct 27, 2017
    Littleton, Colorado
    1st was an LP copy from Sears, probably around 84 as a Christmas gift. 1st that I bought myself was an Ovation Ultra GS, single HB with a Kahler. Bought it at the only music store in Abilene Texas around 86, can't remember the name though.

10. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-Talker

Feb 16, 2018
    WV
    My late mother, bless her clueless heart, mail-ordered a horrible Strat copy from Sears Roebuck in around '78,'79. It was sunburst but I stupidly painted it all white, including the neck... Then I saved up for a Lead 2...

11. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Strat-Talker

Mar 29, 2017
    Texas
    The Music Store - Palestine, TX

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Depends on whether you include my bass days or not. My first was an Ibanez CT Series bass I got from a guy in a newspaper ad. My first 6-string is my Gretsch 5120 from the Guitar Center in Laredo, TX.

13. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Mar 13, 2017
    Yardley, PA USA
    My first guitar was from the "world famous" Sid Kleiner's House of Guitars in beautiful downtown Califon, New Jersey, USA! The shop was literally in the ground level floor of an actual house, Sid and his family lived upstairs in the upper floors of the house. To his credit, Sid had a LOT of framed b&w photos of him and various celebs (rock and otherwise) all over the walls. I took lessons there for several years on the Sigma acoustic that Sid sold me. If you remember Sigma, they were made by Martin as a lower cost option (think Epiphone or Squire) and were called Sigma because if you rotated a capital M 90 degrees counter clockwise, you got the Greek letter Sigma! Sid had lots of cool electrics on the wall and I so badly wanted either an SG or a Les Paul to go with a big Peavey amp like the ones Sid sold. Eventually I got a '71 LP Custom but not from Sid, and it's still in my collection. Notice in the logo below, the Sigma is not even a Sigma, it's actually the exact same letter as the M in SIGMA below it, just rotated -90 degrees.

sigma_logo_int.png

14. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Guitar center

2120 Alta Arden Expy, Sacramento, CA 95825

15. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    Ajax, Canada

16. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    15 years old, bought a Conqueror bass and Harmony bass amp from Joe Voda's Drum City, Omaha, NE. $250 for the whole kit and made payments on it for a year. My first electric 6-string was a Hagstrom, bought used along with an Ampeg Jet 1-12 amp..can't remember the price.
    Sold the Hagstrom a year later and bought a new 1972 Telecaster from Hospe's Music in Omaha for $250 (I got an employee discount).

17. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Strat-Talk Member

Oct 26, 2011
    ohio
    3-D Music, Celina, OH, probably '89
    Tom handed it to me. I handed it back.
    Me: I want to hear it.
    Tom: Dude, I'm a drummer, I only know 3 chords.
    Me: That's 3 more than I know. concord2frontfull.jpg

Still have it and....ohsc

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Well, as detailed in the first guitar thread, I didn't buy my first. It was given to me, but had to be made playable, as a few parts were missing.

The first guitar I actually bought was a couple years later, a decent Japanese strat copy that I bought from a friend for $20.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    It was at a music store that mostly sold used gear and gear on consignment. My heavily modified '63 Strat was on consignment, being sold by a guy who needed to raise money to pay a DUI fine at a very low price.

[​IMG]

Stratbats likes this.

20. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    Guitar Center in Lawndale, CA. A Yamaha tele copy.