Join Strat-Talk Today

Solid state Fender sound amp recommendations? - Quilter, Blues Cube Hot etc

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by andrew00, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:38 AM.

1. andrew00

andrew00 New Member!

Hey,

I'm looking for an amp. I'd love to get a Princeton or a Blues Jr, but it'll be 95% for home playing.

I've identified I need a) headphones out and b) the ability to play cranked at super low volume (obviously can turn volume up when possible but that won't be the case all the time).

A few amps have jumped out - the Quilter 101 Reverb and the Blues Cube Hot.

The Quilter seems awesome, people seem to really love it, and it's light, which is awesome. I'm in the UK so it's an expensive amp to get (£380/$500) new over here, then you have some sort of cab and ideally the Quilter one which doubles that price.

The Blues Cube Hot also seems great tbh. As a combo it lacks the portability of the Quilter, and people seem to think it's good but not as good as the Quilter. But it's around £410 ($535) new so obviously a lot cheaper than the Quilter.

Between the two, it's probably a head/heart thing. Would love the Quilter but am leaning towards the BCH because of the price and them being pretty similar, probably so my ears wouldn't notice the difference.

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts firstly between these two and secondly if there are any other amps you could suggest looking at?

As I said, I'd love a Princeton etc but I'm just not going to be able to use it properly so a valve amp seems out.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Boss Katana. Cheaper than the Cube, same Roland/Boss quality. Does at home what my Princeton can't, at 0.5W it doesn't annoy the management or the neighbours.

3. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

I really like the look of the Boss Nextone, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Katana but seems to really nail those different tube tones.

I played the Blues Cube in store once and wasn't blown away by it.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

At about twice the price of the Katana, I really wasn't impressed by it. I don't use the bells and whistles on my Katana, just get a sound as close to my Princeton as I can.

Yaralag and amstratnut like this.
  5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Strat-Talker

The Fender Champion series get all the Fender right sounds.I have the 40 .Excellent amp .I use it for practice and in bars ,at least until I got a DV mark Little jazz which does what it says on the front .i use the Champion for all those bluesy overdrive stuff .

xland likes this.
  6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talk Member

Fender Mustang III v2 does everything you are looking for and can be found used for like 200 bucks or less. Loud enough to play with a band but also great at bedroom volume. And headphone out.

Silvercrow likes this.
  7. Martins Strat

That's interesting, I'll have to give it a go sometime, I haven't had chance yet.

I think I'm a little scared off by bells and whistles after having a Mustang. Just too much option paralysis for me, I spent more time trying to find 'the tone' than actually playing guitar!

8. Thrup'ny Bit

I turn the thing on and turn the knobs, just like any other amp. No screens to scroll through, no dodgy scroll wheels or specific amp models.

Yaralag likes this.
  9. Martins Strat

Sounds like the right approach. I sold the mustang and got a Peavey Classic 30 to go back to simplicity. Playing mostly at home volumes though I often wonder about the Katana. Not sure I'll ever be settled with amps though.

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

70's Silver Face Vibro Champ or Champ if you don't care for tremolo. Can be had for $400-$500, 5 watts with an 8 inch speaker so volume is not bad at all.

***Edit***
    Opps I just reread and saw you say you need a headphone out. The Vibro Champ/Champ will not meet that need.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Volume is my major problem., I've had the Princeton for years, so many that it was banned from the house over 30 years ago, but when it sounds sweet, it's just too loud. So I've had a procession of "Practice" amps over the years, finishing up with a Micro Cube for about 10 years before the Katana. I just got fed up of the five inch speaker farting on the blackface model. :)

12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Boss Katana 100 or if you're only interested in the classic Fender tones then the 'original' Fender Mustang III. The Mustang is the winner if you don't want to mess with a computer interface for the deep-dive adjustments.

13. charby

charby Strat-Talk Member

What size of the Katana are you using? Looking to pick up the 100 myself.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

I have the 50, I don't need an effects loop or 100 watts, 25 is enough to gig with.

johnnymg likes this.
  15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Another vote for the katana
    The quilter interested me too but for the $$$ I went with the katana 100 to get the fx loop.
    The nextone wasn't out yet but thats worth a look/see too
    Good luck

johnnymg likes this.
  16. frankthedog

frankthedog Strat-Talker

I have been using solid-state stuff for years because of my back and have found the Trademark TM60 to be a great solid-state amp. I dial in a great Fender clean on one channel and a Marshall overdrive in the other and am good to go for just about any tune. It is light (35 pounds or so) too. Built-in boost. No built-in effects though, if that is your thing.

17. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

I have the Boss Nextone Stage. Super quiet when you want it to be, roaring loud when you need that too. Have had it for two months now. Love it.

18. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

@StratMike10 sent me a Mustang II a few years ago - I still use it whenever I don’t feel like roadying Marshalls around. Lots of sounds on demand, the built in effects are nice and the amp can be plenty loud if necessary.

:)

StratMike10 likes this.
  19. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Another Katana 100 recommendation here.

It can do Pub Jams, basement, aux in, excellent headphones (turns speaker off), .5 watt, 50 watt, 100 watt options.

Sure tweaking the patches is a bit of work but like my GP8, once I set it I forget it. I have 4 patches, clean loud and soft, and OD loud and soft. I've never been a big pedal user and right now I am more concerned about rebuilding my chops/songs.

I only use the clean channel as the OD channels are a bit too gritty for what I need.

The interface USB is so super easy to use, don't get overwhelmed, it's like any modeler it has tons of options but that doesn't mean you need to use all of them.

I tried a DSL0C, YCV40, YCV20 and this is 1/2 the weight and way cleaner. No it does not sing like a tube amp but TBH I'm very happy with it.

I've rocked a JCM900 since the 80's? 90?s but at this point/age and for my use this covers the bases.

20. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

If you are open to looking at different brands a Vox VT20+ isn’t a bad choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.