Join Strat-Talk Today

<SOLVED>No Sound PRRI 65 Need Help

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by D_Kita, Feb 10, 2019.

1. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Was working fine until a few hours ago, but plugged into find that it makes no sound. Amp jewel lights up as usual. Checked with different guitar jacks still no sound. Complete noob to the technical side of amps so go easy on me.

2. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

speaker is plugged into the correct speaker jack? not the extension speaker jack...? and not the footswitch jack?

the guitar volume is turned up? don't laugh. it happens.

3. rolandson

duplicate.

4. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

I haven’t touched anything on the back. So everything is plugged in the same way it was when it was working. Guitar volume is up. Tried using the same guitar into a different amp, and no problems.

5. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

I've seen thousand times amps not working for the speaker dying. Keep an eye to that. Anyway Fender RI crumbles by themselves. Not new to me. I've fixed hundreds of DR, PR and TR because of cold soldering joints, failing speakers or reverbs.

6. rolandson

you say you are inexperienced with amp electronics?then it's time to take it to a shop.

messing around inside can do damage...to you and to it.

How old is it?

7. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Any way to check that the speaker is the problem?

8. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

I’m not going to go messing around inside it. Just trying to see if there was an easy fix as the shop is far away. I’m not too sure how old it is, will have to check. Got it used.

9. sadmoodyfrazier

You should use a multimeter to check the speaker impedance. You should have the reading. If you don't have any reading or you have a shorted reading there is the problem. The other way is to hook up the amp to another (compatible impedance and power) speaker and see if plays.

10. sadmoodyfrazier

Another thing is that a tube is ****ed up. After you have verified that the speaker works you should take other new tubes and try to find a faulty one substituting the tubes one at a time. I mean... you have to substitute every tube one at a time with a working tube, same kind, and try. Hope I've been clear.

11. rolandson

Don't do anything that you don't feel comfortable or capable with. Even little stuff.

If you want to become competent, study the subject first. Have someone qualified coach and guide you. It isn't difficult, but it can be dangerous...and easy to screw something up.

12. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I didn't see anyone mention this, so did you check to make sure the speaker wires are plugged onto the speaker?

13. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Thank you both. Just wondering, is it normal for the 5AR4 to not glow when on? The 6V6s both glow when the amp is on, but the rectifier tube does not.

14. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Unless they can come off by themselves, I don’t think there is anything wrong. Posting pic just in case this helps. 53FE7405-CF25-4E43-A1B9-718763C9373B.jpeg

15. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

FB855739-17B8-47CD-AFDC-2253B685D795.jpeg Picture of the back panel. Can anyone spot anything wrong other than the fact that it’s not plugged in?

16. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Try this , in a darkened room turn on the amp for 30 seconds then while looking at the rear of the amp at the cage that has the output tubes in it turn the amp on into play mode ( out of standby) you should see the output tubes flash up brighter, if you do not then it's time to have a tech look at it!

If you see the tubes flash then you should hear a slight hum and buzz out of the speaker if you place your ear right up to it.
    If the tubes flash but no noise then your speaker is not working , which could be for a few reasons!
    Whatever you do, do not play thru the amp because if your speaker has gone open you can blow the amps output transformer.

D_Kita likes this.
  17. sadmoodyfrazier

No, it's not normal. Even the rectifier one should glow. Not much but it should glow. Anyway... rectifier tubes are the poorest made actually so it would be not so strange if it's ****ed up. You could change that one with a solid state rectifier. The sound will be almost the same and you will get rid of eventual vibration coming from that tube that it's very frequent (the rectifier tube of my Deluxe Reverb rings like a bell. I'm thinkin' to change it with the solid state one, in fact.).

D_Kita likes this.
  18. D_Kita

D_Kita Strat-Talk Member

Well, went out to dinner and came back a few hours later and gave it one last chance before giving up and going to a tech. Whaddya know it starts working again. Kinda weird but I’m not going to complain. Thank you to all that chimed in.

rolandson likes this.
  19. rolandson

JJ makes a very solid rectifier tube. If you decide to switch it out.

20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.