Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Some Advice from AV 59 owners

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AndSomeone, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Im currently looking at purchasing the AV 59 slap rosewood Stratocaster and looking for some feedback from current owners or people who have had the pleasure of playing them. They don’t have them in stores around me so I have to order online and just return it if it doesn’t feel or sound to my liking. Hate buying guitars like that but at the moment that’s the choice I have.

Here’s a few questions:
    - I currently own a MIM 50s classic player and really like it but feel the neck is just a tad on the small feeling side, how does the AV 59 D neck compare?

- How does this guitar age, I’ve seen some post saying it ages really quick and in a good way

- How does this compare to the Eric Johnson? I know that the EJ is a 12” (I don’t have problems with soloing or bending on 7.25 so that’s not a factor) I have a les Paul and do like it’s flat neck but don’t know if I would like it on a Strat. I almost feel like if my MIM 50s classic and les Paul could have a “neck baby” it would be perfect.

Ps sorry if it’s all been asked before.

2. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    First, the AV 59 neck isn't super full in the palm, but it has nice big shoulders to hang onto so it probably feels a bit bigger than it actually is.

Second, my guitar has some great finish aging over the last couple years. It's thin nitro and can be kind of fragile, but it's certainly not falling off the body or anything. Mine is aging very nicely.

Third, the EJ and the AV59 are wildly different guitars, from the pickups to the fretboard radius to the frets themselves. I don't think you can compare much other than they're both Strats.

3. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica

Thanks for the insight. Have you played the AV 65? Read that the neck feels a little bigger. I know that the EJ is a different beast but was curious if anyone tried both and what likes and dislikes was between them.

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I own several 59s and they are all awesome.The neck thickness does vary on each one...one I have is medium thickness and another is quite chunky and the other ones are in between those two extremes.I can adjust to a neck thickness so thin or thick doesn't really bug me though I really love thicker necks.The nitro is very delicate on these and will wear and chip away quite fast especially if you gig the guitar like I do.A trait that is common with all of mine is they all have a fat tone...it's the classic vintage Strat sound with a very 'brown' color.Some Strats can be very jangly but I have never played a jangly and bright AV59...they seem to all have that smooth,brown sound which is great especially at the bridge pickup which makes it a lot more musical and usable.The current Pure Vintage line is being discontinued so hurry up if you want a brand new AV59.They are being replaced with what is called the American original series which will be a basic reissue rather than a year specific one...they have a 50s and 60s Strat.Good luck with your purchase!!

AndSomeone and Fuzzpop like this.

5. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Awesome thanks for telling they are being discontinued didn’t know that all the more reason to get one. Did you ever compare it to the 65 neck?

sonny wolf likes this.

6. sonny wolf

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas

I own a 65 reissue and the neck on my particular one is on the chunkier side.They call that one a C and the 59s a D shape but my 65 feels very similar to my chunkier neck'd 59.They are all hand made so they can vary quite a bit(as do all my four 59 reissues).I did the Fender factory tour last march and observed how much hand work goes into the guitars despite all the machinery...the employees really take their time to hand sand the necks and bodies so variations will occur.

7. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Which reissue year would be a keeper if you only could keep one and why. Pickupwise I’m not to concerned as they are easy to change.

8. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Just to be fair here, this isn't confirmed by Fender, though as Sonny stated in another thread, there are a lot of signs suggesting vintage-spec, year-specific AVRIs being discontinued.

9. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Yeah looks like they are becoming unavailable at Sweetwater.

Fuzzpop likes this.

10. sonny wolf

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    They are both fantastic models but my ultimate Strat design is the 1959-62 era mint green pickguard Strats.My black 59 reissue in particular is fantastic:

ik4cn5f9opjwbefmpywo.jpg jyqssdgpl45binbsg18y.jpg

Fuzzpop, Bladesg and AndSomeone like this.

11. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Yeah that does look pretty damn good

sonny wolf likes this.

12. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Well if we're posting our '59s...

[​IMG]

13. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    A little Hendrix reference there, awesome. Always hard to tell the burst on pictures. How’s the burs on that one. I feel like some of the American standard and now professional ones are not always great, but I’m a huge burst fan. Only my les Paul and Tele are burst so def going for that on my next Strat.

Fuzzpop likes this.

14. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    The burst on this one is a beautiful, but subtle 3-tone. In fact, it mostly looks 2-tone until you get up close. No blaring red in this burst. I love it. But I do get what you mean. Some of the bursts on the standards/pros don't look great. But I've never seen a '59 AVRI burst that looked bad!

15. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Perfect

Fuzzpop likes this.

16. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Finally found a store that had the AM 59 and the Eric Johnson Signature. Now I just wish I could afford both. Both played like a dream. Loved the neck on both in their respective way.

I didn’t see the EJ sunburst but the white one and loved that the paint was so thin that you could actually see the grain of the wood through it, which I couldn’t on the 59. The 59 burst seemed very “sparkly” but might be cause it new?

It really a tough decision cause both screamed “awesome” and comfort to play.

Guess I’ll have to go in serious thinking mode.

17. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Took the plunge and drove 4hours to try the AM 59 at another store that had it, I ended up bringing it home. As Sonny Wolf stated that the necks wary, this neck compared to the other I tried closer felt way way better and bigger which was very much to my liking. This one felt really damn good.

dueducs likes this.

18. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I got to try one a couple weeks ago. The neck felt good, but not as good, to me, as the SRV neck.
    I one thing I didn't like about the '59 was that the yellow of the sunburst was overpowering. Again, to me, many people really like that, but I prefer something more subdued... darker with just a hint of red. I saw a great pic of one a few days ago, so I know they exist. Maybe ne day I'll find mine.
    Anyway, glad you found one you like @AndSomeone. Enjoy!!! HNGD

19. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Pics....Please....

20. AndSomeone

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    59 Strat.jpg

dueducs, sonny wolf, lineboat and 2 others like this.